[WIP] Doom: Another World

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What kind of environments would you like to see in the finished TC?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Direct translation of Another World's scenes into ZDoom
No votes
Linear series of puzzles as in Another World
7%
Open-ended maps that encourage exploration as in Unreal
13%
Mix in all of the above
80%
None of the above (please explain with a post)
No votes

Total votes: 15

Josh771

Re: [WIP] Doom: Another World

Post by Josh771 »

Updated the weapon graphics! Using an angled laser pistol this time; let me know what you think. Lasers now use a red tracer effect as well.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I liked the centered design, any chance we could toggle between the two? :p
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Well, the biggest reason I moved to the angled perspective was to get the lights on the gun in their proper positioning. I suppose I could add a toggle and an options menu, though, for those that prefer it.
Combine_Kegan

Post by Combine_Kegan »

Those lasers look really nice now
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I think I prefer the centered gun.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Centred is much better.
comet1337_old

Post by comet1337_old »

best use for the angled sprite i could think of:
dual wielding to replace the bfg

dumb, i know
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Good work! This new look for the rayguns are indeed better. I'd still keep the centered view to enable zooming.

PEW PEW LAZERZ!!! ;)
orxalot22

Post by orxalot22 »

The angled gun does look good, however it does make it difficult to shoot around corners without the laser hitting the wall.
I'd like for it to be centered again, but other than that, awesome mod!
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

So much feedback! :D

I love the look of the angled gun myself, but it does suffer functionally. I'll work on redesigning the centered gun to better resemble the latest iteration and add a CVar option for choosing between one or the other. I'd actually prefer only a slightly angled, near-center gun so that I can put the lights along the side of the weapon, but I'll come up with something.

Played through over half of Doom 2 with a friend in this. Quite fun; good times were had (especially when I turned on friendly fire for random deathmatch :P )
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Update! No new artwork yet, but I've added a menu option for toggling back to the old centered gun sprites.

EDIT: Just got some new artwork in place for centered gun (thanks, Sgt. Shivers!) The reload key is used to check your indicator lights if you use the centered player sprite option; don't worry, you can fire instantly from checking your ammo status -- at the very least, nearly instantly. I didn't want to place the indicator lights anywhere they did not appear in Another World; granted, Another World was indeed a platformer and Doom is a first-person shooter, but I want to accommodate as accurate a depiction of the source material as possible.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

I've been trying to put some various textures together using screenshots of Another World. This is a very simple mockup of the prison break scene:

I feel that I could continue working on textures and eventually map out familiar locations, perhaps get a very rudimentary skeleton in place for the TC. I did a little bit of work trying to convert a shotgun guy into one of the aliens as well, but even with a simplified palette and low-detail sprites it's a lot of work that burns me out quickly. So for now I'm going to focus on environments. :)

Any help putting together the resources is welcome, whether it's mapping, textures, or sprites. If someone could get "sprite" sheets of the original aliens / player, that would be neat, but I imagine that's not something that's floating around out there, considering the original Another World used colored polygons instead of traditional sprites to render its characters. The only reason I mention it is because I'd love to simply make rotations of the original game's artwork, to preserve the original style and proportions.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Oh wow, that does look certainly spiffy.
Josh771

Post by Josh771 »

Got a new sky texture in place. Looks very nice; makes me want to really get mapping, but I've still got a lot of texture work to get out of the way first.

All the current texture work is in the latest version, including the above sky texture. I've also got a completely scripted jump control which tries to somewhat mimic the original behavior of a short forward leap. Player mobility is down; hopefully there will be some interesting environments at some point with platformy bits and beautiful landscapes. I'm debating writing music for this or just scrapping together ambient noises.
Hetdegon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Hetdegon »

Looks good.
I think ambient noises would fit better, unless you want to use a Flashback-like approach (short sound bits at scripted parts).

Return to “Levels”