[Beta][Cool] \m/ ~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~ \m/ - 0.9 desu~

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: [WIP][Beta][Cool] \m/ -~={ DEMONSTEELE }=~- \m/ - 0.72 N

Post by wildweasel »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:also, i wanted to ask... what does Blind Guardians do? are they extra lives or something?
As a bit of a hint: they are internally referred to as "Buttshield."
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

And yes, it makes you even more protective. So i would say it's useful than vanilla blursphere.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

oh, now that makes sense. does it only protect your back, though, or does it provide protection from the sides as well? also, how long do they last? having some indication of what the power-up does, perhaps via an armor gauge, would be very useful.

slaughtermaps are a lot of fun with this mod... to an extent. the first few levels or so of Sunder is a lot of fun, but it becomes increasingly hectic and too many enemies standing on ledges you can't reach comes in. once you get to Precarious things turn to shit. the first level of Deus Vult is fun, but the second one i feel it becomes too much. this mod is the most fun with the right map-set, or in small doses. Equinox is pretty much perfect for this, as all the monsters are within arms-reach, and the only time they aren't is the last level, at which point you probably have the Iron Maiden to cut through things.

oh, speaking of Iron Maiden, how does it recharge? you find Soul Prisons replacing it once you have one, but do they do anything for the recharge? is some of the meters responsible for when you can and can't transform?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Viscra Maelstrom wrote:not sure if this is this mod's fault or not, but i got this crash when playin Demonsteele with Sunder. i saved my game on map 3, and loading the save immediately crashed the game.
JimmyJ wrote:lol
I literally opened this thread to say, I warped straight to map 3, went up to the group of hell knights at the start, and did a right strafe super move on them. Game instantly crashed. Then I see your post on this exact map, hah.
This took a little bit of experimentation and replication, but it does seem to be specifically a GZDoom error. The times I've tried with Zandronum (both software and hardware) don't cause this issue, and ZDoom doesn't seem to cause it as well. It seems only in GZDoom it reliably crashes.
I'm not sure if the newer builds of GZDoom have this issue fixed since I can't run them due to the OpenGL rendering update (heh), but I would definitely suggest updating and seeing if the issue still happens, and if not/you're unable to update then it'd be good to post in the bug reports forum.
I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.
undead003 wrote:Why isn't Exodus in?
Exodus is in, it's the grenade launcher.
Unless you mean why aren't any Exodus tunes in the metal jukebox, in which case...they will be, come v2! :p
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:running out of power in the middle of a fight can be a good way to get yourself killed because you don't have the resources to fight back at them. how about making your power bar regenerate slowly so that it's at least 2 notches full? that way, you could dodge enough enemy fire to swing a sword move against them.
ZDoom levels with water in them makes you extremely vulnerable to anything, especially if there are enemies in the water. how about having some moves you can perform underwater to even the odds a little?
This is an interesting idea I'll experiment with in the next update, but the big thing to worry about is how long the delay should be. At the moment I'll probably have it at one tic every second and a half/two seconds, and experiment with more or less later.
And ohhh, I completely forgot to account for water levels. I...have no clue what does or doesn't work in the water at the moment, damn. I'll have to dig around and find some water levels, so maybe after the next update I'll start fiddling with that. Thank you very much for letting me know!
Princess Viscra Maelstrom wrote:oh, now that makes sense. does it only protect your back, though, or does it provide protection from the sides as well? also, how long do they last? having some indication of what the power-up does, perhaps via an armor gauge, would be very useful.
[...]
oh, speaking of Iron Maiden, how does it recharge? you find Soul Prisons replacing it once you have one, but do they do anything for the recharge? is some of the meters responsible for when you can and can't transform?
It has a width of 16, a little bit wider than the player, and is set a little more than 32 units behind her--it does protect the backside very nicely, as well as back-left and back-right, but direct 90-degree angle attacks have a chance of slipping through. They take about 800 damage before breaking, and this is signified via the sounds it emits when it takes damage--it has four different sounds, differing depending on whether it's below 800, 600, 300, or 100 HP, and when it breaks it's got a nice big shattering sound.
That being said, if that's not obvious enough, I can try and make the sounds louder and/or try and find an alternate method to display it.

Iron Maiden runs off of your soul meter--it takes four notches to use, slowly drains your soul meter until it runs out, and you require at least one full bar in order to activate it. I'm not entirely happy with the latter part, since it's incredibly unintuitive and there's no indication of it. At the same time, though, I don't want to have the player to be able to activate it whenever, since that four-notch cost is quite costly and there's high chance a player will end up running out of juice too early.
This'll require a little bit of thought.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Great.

I should play DemonSteele more...
Viscra Maelstrom

i never noticed the sounds for the Blind Guardian at all. i still think that a small armor gauge which shows how much juice your current shield has would be a good indicator that something has happened to you when you pick one up. that'd also make the players realize that the shield makes different sounds depending on how much damage you've taken. maybe i'm just the only one, but i find that visual cues is a better indicator that something is happening than aural ones.

perhaps make the same for the Iron Maiden, too. when you have it picked up, have a small icon or something displaying at the forth notch of the soul meter. once you've reached it, it shines up or something indicating that you can use it. although, this might have the effect that the player will use the Iron Maiden just exactly when the meter allows it, and thus run out of juice prematurely. i'm not entirely sure how to fix that issue.

Dark 7 has a few levels with water in them, BTW. the only time you're in underwater combat is on map 5, though, in which you enter a tunnel which fills with water. that's when i realized that i can't do anything but fire my guns at the imps being able to hit me easily.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Hope you folks weren't too attached to the Hexen mace.
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carbine Dioxide

Post by Carbine Dioxide »

AMAZING :rock:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

She's thorin' it, She's thorin' it!

Anyway good choice, because i never liked hexen mace from other doom mods, since it was common thing to see.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

There are some things I noticed (again):

-The radius of the player seems to be smaller then the default one. That gives you the ability to walk through areas (like between two bars which are supposed to go down after pressing a button) where you shouldn't fit through. Happened a lot of times while playing Plutonia2.
-Even if you disabled jumping, you can still do a jump in mid air, if you fall of a ledge.

Not big deals, though.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

TheBadHustlex wrote:-The radius of the player seems to be smaller then the default one. That gives you the ability to walk through areas (like between two bars which are supposed to go down after pressing a button) where you shouldn't fit through. Happened a lot of times while playing Plutonia2.
Yeah, it seems like a cool thing until you end up stuck in an inescapable crevice between two platforms that's just slightly too narrow for an ordinary Doomguy to fit into.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

if she had a same size like a doomguy, she could be a muscular amazon, man. so i bet that was intentional.
TheBadHustlex

Post by TheBadHustlex »

Of course it's intentional. But it can easily create insane shortcuts in some levels.
Viscra Maelstrom

TerminusEst13 wrote:Hope you folks weren't too attached to the Hexen mace.
reminds me a lot of the Ebony Hammer you can acquire in Skyrim's Immersive Weapons mod, now that i think about it.
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Great mod, but I seem to have ammo issues; I keep running out of ammo and there aren't enough pickups to keep me stocked, which sucks if you're dealing with maps that have guys on ledges that you can't reach. I'd like it if zombies drop some small amounts of ammo.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”