[Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: [Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Post by Nash »

Wow, I didn't realize that the story in this mod is actually based on real Quake 2 lore. Good stuff!
Tux

Post by Tux »

Man, I loved the plot twist at the end.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

OMG! AN ENJAY RELEASE!
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Tormentor667 wrote:OMG! AN ENJAY RELEASE!
You know that the wad is good when even Tormentor comes from the shadows to comment. :D
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

otherwise, seal of fineness approved. and yes, this wad is made by bloody enjay, so i don't expect something bad from his any of wad.
GhostKillahZero

Post by GhostKillahZero »

This reminds of quake 2, I miss playing that game on xbox.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm really blown away by the reaction I'm getting to this. It's been really positive and I'm also really grateful to the people who have pointed out flaws and dislikes but have done so in a positive manner. Thank you all very much. It is all very much appreciated. :D

Some folks may be interested in a little more of what I was trying to do with the back story. I tried to thread a bit of plot through the map so that the player could legitimately get an idea of what might be going on before things were revealed. I like it when games/movies/books whatever do this. It means that they didn't "cheat" (i.e. there were always clues and stuff wasn't just sprung on people and even when the reveal still turns out to be a surprise (because it wasn't too strongly hinted at or the viewer simply didn't work things out) the producer of the work can legitimately say "there were some clues if you looked hard enough"). On a second run through it should be possible for a player to spot stuff and go "aha! I know why that's there now". I like being able to do that with games/movies/books whatever too. Also, you are supposed to be investigating Gene-Tech to find out what they are up to, so it would be unfair not to provide an opportunity for a player to at least get some hints.

Of course, it is intentionally possible to play the mod and ignore the plot elements entirely but I wonder how many of the hints and plot elements were picked up?

Firstly relating to the player etc.
Spoiler:
Stuff in the map...
Spoiler:
Then there is the stuff that the NPCs say...
Spoiler:
And after the reveal...
Spoiler:
So, I wonder, how many of those clues and how much of that plot related stuff was spotted/worked?
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Well, i talked with all NPCs there, that's why i got admired that you did a great prequel to Quake 2 in your own vision.

Btw i didn't looked much around the map to notice that Stroggs crates outiside the base in the beggining or the other in the conveyor belt but i noticed the guys stroggfied in the tubes and the other half-gunner on the wall.

Also...
Enjay wrote:I'm really blown away by the reaction I'm getting to this. It's been really positive and I'm also really grateful to the people who have pointed out flaws and dislikes but have done so in a positive manner. Thank you all very much. It is all very much appreciated.
Dude, you are kinda Valve in Doom community, delays alot to release something, but when do, it deserves the time spent on it.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

I did get the general gist of what's going on, and found and/or observed most of what Enjay mentioned in his post (what did you think I was doing through these two hours? :wink:). However, since I haven't played any of the Quake game series or even read about them, I didn't realize that the story tied to that.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Blue Shadow wrote:I did get the general gist of what's going on, and found and/or observed most of what Enjay mentioned in his post (what did you think I was doing through these two hours? :wink:). However, since I haven't played any of the Quake game series or even read about them, I didn't realize that the story tied to that.
Blue Shadow wrote:I haven't played any of the Quake game series

My Reaction to this:
Spoiler:
You never got interest in take them to play? Really? Not even now?

It's understable not playing Descent series (cuz i know it didn't had a great fame as Doom did) but Quake? duuuuuuuuuuude... ahn... no comments...
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

But doom, yeah. this forum is use to be major about doom.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Revilution wrote:You never got interest in take them to play? Really? Not even now?

It's understable not playing Descent series (cuz i know it didn't had a great fame as Doom did) but Quake? duuuuuuuuuuude... ahn... no comments...
Really? More of this? Have you considered he may have bills, food or donations to use his money on instead, or would you prefer he pirate it?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Kostov on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

undead003 wrote:
Revilution wrote:You never got interest in take them to play? Really? Not even now?

Really? More of this? Have you considered he may have bills, food or donations to use his money on instead, or would you prefer he pirate it?
Spoiler:
I agree. Sadly, the moderators don't seem to...
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

If i have one thing to say about the Descent Series is this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWxh9lGOeqQ

Seriously the games are very addicting even tough you can get nausea if you are not used to it after awhile.

Never got the chance to play the original PC version of Quake 1 and 2 (i played the consoles versions),and im still trying to find the full version of Q1 instead of the shareware version.

Quake 3 arena on the other hand i did played it,had a grand wonderful time and enjoyed it a lots,once Revilution finish his levels for his mod (Hunter's Moon) im gonna have a blast.

The only Quake game i didnt played was the 4th one.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I appreciate all of the effort that went into the Quake lore in this mod, but I'm afraid I am also another one of those "not too familiar with Quake" type of person... and with regards to Quake 2 specifically; I was actually struggling with it (performance wise) back then with my 1997 Pentium 2 rig... it wasn't only until 1999 that I bought and installed my first 3dfx accelerator card and started enjoying those newfangled OpenGL/Glide games more... if it says anything, I don't think I've clocked more than 100 hours of gameplay for all the Quake games combined throughout these years... :S

EDIT:

It seems that the invisible cloak powerup will screw up the model rendering for the HUD model and also the player's model if you active the chasecam.

Also, I noticed that for the final boss' BFG attack, his entire texture changes to have a glow-like appearance... care to share your MODELDEF trickery? I'm pretty sure GZDoom doesn't allow an easy way to switch out model textures on the fly...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”