[Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Re: [Release] Gene-Tech: Before the Storm

Post by Enjay »

What version of GZDoom are you running?
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

Version 1.8.02
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

Use this. If that doesn't work, use this.

Graf Zahl, the creator of GZDoom, can not update GZDoom's homepage due to ISP issues. The latest official GZDoom versions are always posted here, while experimental versions (which are updated much more frequently) are posted here.
Last edited by Kostov on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

thonglover wrote:Version 1.8.02
You'll need something newer. The latest official GZDoom release (2.0.03) has some problems so you might want to try something from here instead:

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/gzdoom/

This advice may help:
blackfish wrote:I had to update because it gave me errors with the april 2014 build of GZDoom I had. The first thing I did was to upgrade to the latest, which was some 2.1 pre version. After Nash mentioned the model interpolation bug I decided to try the last 1.9 build in the devbuilds list, which allowed to be see what the models are actually meant to look like, and it looks better.

I would tell people to not use the 2.0+ builds until the interpolation is fixed, much like Nash mentioned.
SyntherAugustus

Post by SyntherAugustus »

Well I finished it, it was a lot of fun! But yes guys use the last 1.9 version in the dev builds list for an optimal game.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Glad you got through it and had some fun. Thanks for the helpful feedback too. :)

So, it seems like a 1.9 Git build is a good recommendation for a GZDoom version to use until the wrinkles with the latest GZDoom have been ironed out. Fair enough, 2.0+ is a pretty significant change to the renderer so a few teething problems are to be expected. I'm sure Graf will be on it soon enough.

I've updated the first post with the recommendation to use a 1.9 build for the time being. I also updated the mod download with a minor change to the NPC DECORATE code to see if it helps the juddering death glitch. I suspect it won't, and it's not worth a re-download for this minor change. I filled a room with literally hundreds of NPCs and killed them all without a glitch but then I've done that before and the glitch still got through. :?
Freaklore1

Post by Freaklore1 »

I keep getting a corupted rar file when i try to download it.
thonglover
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by thonglover »

i got far in game. but i died :( it was fun though
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Freaklore1 wrote:I keep getting a corupted rar file when i try to download it.
It could be because I was uploading the update when you tried. It took me about 12 minutes to get it online during which time a dowload would have come in corrupted. I've tried it since and it's fine so maybe try again? Sorry about that.

It's a 7z BTW, not a RAR so make sure you open it with something compatible (not sure if WinRAR supports 7z files).
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

WinRAR can do 7z's, don't worry.
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

Played it, really enjoyed it! I was slightly disapointed in the story, but that's my own fault for thinking it'd be tied into the BGPA/Aspects storyline. It was still classic Enjay though, I'll try and write up a proper review sometime this week. I only discovered a paltry 6 secrets all together IIRC (or maybe it was only 4) so I've still got lots more exploring to do.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Jblade wrote:Played it, really enjoyed it! I was slightly disapointed in the story, but that's my own fault for thinking it'd be tied into the BGPA/Aspects storyline. It was still classic Enjay though, I'll try and write up a proper review sometime this week. I only discovered a paltry 6 secrets all together IIRC (or maybe it was only 4) so I've still got lots more exploring to do.
Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, it's nothing to do with BGPA/Aspects. Not sure if I'll re-visit that at any point but there are no plans to ATM. I haven't really even thought about anything to do with that for quite a long time now.

Personally, I thought that most of the secrets were pretty standard, unimaginative and easy to find affairs with only a few being anything resembling cunning, but then I know where they all are. ;) In saying that, I'm absolutely useless at finding secrets and I'd be lucky to get as many as you did on a map that I didn't make myself. :lol:
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Enjay wrote:BGPA/Aspects. Not sure if I'll re-visit that at any point but there are no plans to ATM. I haven't really even thought about anything to do with that for quite a long time now.
:(
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Of course, if my friend who I do Aspects related stuff with comes back from his work abroad (been there for 4 years now) and we concoct some new BGPA scenarios... who knows. That's how the Burghead mod originally had life breathed into it (I sent you a PM related to that mod BTW).
Jblade

Post by Jblade »

I decided to burn the not-quite-midnight-oil to review this right now. I didn't run into any issues or anything like that myself. It has some minor spoilers in it, although I don't think that would detract from the map if you knew about it beforehand.
Personally, I thought that most of the secrets were pretty standard, unimaginative and easy to find affairs with only a few being anything resembling cunning, but then I know where they all are. ;) In saying that, I'm absolutely useless at finding secrets and I'd be lucky to get as many as you did on a map that I didn't make myself.
I think secrets are best when they're not too difficult and use common ques like a different grate, a wall with a crack in it, or a monitor with a minor texture difference. It's kind of a language that you use to go 'pay a bit more attention since there's something different here' Of course I know there's people out there who want their secrets myst-lite style :D
Of course, if my friend who I do Aspects related stuff with comes back from his work abroad (been there for 4 years now) and we concoct some new BGPA scenarios... who knows. That's how the Burghead mod originally had life breathed into it (I sent you a PM related to that mod BTW).
The world seemed really interested based on the mod and what I remember reading on the site about it a long time ago (a mars corporation owned by vampires I think I remember?) Liberation inspired quite a lot of things with the AMC TC, it would be nice to see another entry in the universe someday, but of course I'm not the one who has to make it so easier said than done ;)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”