The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by Graf Zahl »

Sadly I'm not there yet. It still requires a compatibility context. I already eliminated most glBegin/glEnd draw calls for GL 4.4 but on Mac that won't help. For older GL versions without GL_ARB_buffer_storage I need to optimize the code to reduce the amount of buffer uploads by at least a factor of 10 or 20. This is still going to take some time though. But the goal clearly is to remove all non-core features it still uses.

What I really could use though is some tool that can check the code and point out all uses of non-core features. Finding all of them is not going to be easy.

How to handle GL 2.x hardware then, we'll see. My guess is that with time it will fade further into irrelevance and the few people still using it will have to stick with an older build that won't get updated anymore.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

_mental_ wrote:
jdagenet wrote:I got the build of GZDoom here.
You can grab the latest build here.
Thanks a lot!
I had no idea this existed -- is this where all of the new versions of the GZDoom Mac OS port in the future will be hosted?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

jdagenet wrote:I had no idea this existed -- is this where all of the new versions of the GZDoom Mac OS port in the future will be hosted?
Yes. Actually, the old homepage has a link to the new one with the appropriate text :)
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

_mental_ wrote:
Hellstorm Archon wrote:GZDoom on Mac OSX will actually crash on certain levels (Community Chest 4: Map20, Deus Vult II Map19, RTC-3057)
I will check this issue as soon as possible. But first I need to know the version you are using, along with additional WADs and command line switches (if any).
It will be even better if you create an issue here (if you have a GitHub account) or here (if you have a Google account).

EDIT: I suspect it can be GL nodes saving issue on versions prior to 0.2.5. If you are already using this version please attach a crash log.
Never mind, upgrading to 0.2.5 seems to have fixed the problem. I was using 0.2.4.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

I have an issue regarding the MIDI playback on a ZDoom-based port.
For some reason, the MIDI instruments in any MIDI file get severely butchered and I'm not so sure as to why it's happening.

I recorded some in-game audio of D_RUNNIN (I know, I hate to put you through the torture) to give you guys a better idea of what is happening.

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/56e2bl4 ... InGame.ogg

I am running Mac OSX: Version 10.9.3 on a Macbook Pro if anyone needs the details.

Any clue as to why this is happening?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

jdagenet wrote:I have an issue regarding the MIDI playback on a ZDoom-based port.
For some reason, the MIDI instruments in any MIDI file get severely butchered and I'm not so sure as to why it's happening.
What is the MIDI system you are using? Let me know a value of Options -> Sound Options -> MIDI Device setting.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

_mental_ wrote:
jdagenet wrote:I have an issue regarding the MIDI playback on a ZDoom-based port.
What is the MIDI system you are using? Let me know a value of Options -> Sound Options -> MIDI Device setting.
The problem occurs with the FMOD MIDI device.

The music output sounds fine when using the OPL device.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

jdagenet wrote:The problem occurs with the FMOD MIDI device.
That's kinda strange. FMOD has its own software synthesizer, which is independent from underlying operating system.
Let's try this: rename your config file (~/Library/Application Support/GZDoom/GZDoom.ini) temporarily to check if the issue persists using default settings.
Also, you can test with ZDoom, for instance with this build.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

FMOD will use an external soundfont for MIDI. Having wrong instruments play makes me think you're using a non-GM-compatible soundfont. First thing I'd check is the snd_midipatchset cvar, to see if you have a non-GM soundfont specified. If you don't have anything set for snd_midipatchset, perhaps FMOD's using a system default which is non-GM.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

_mental_ wrote: That's kinda strange. FMOD has its own software synthesizer, which is independent from underlying operating system.
Let's try this: rename your config file (~/Library/Application Support/GZDoom/GZDoom.ini) temporarily to check if the issue persists using default settings.
Also, you can test with ZDoom, for instance with this build.
After renaming my config file, the problem still remains present. The issue also occurs with the build of ZDoom you've provided.
Chris wrote: FMOD will use an external soundfont for MIDI. Having wrong instruments play makes me think you're using a non-GM-compatible soundfont. First thing I'd check is the snd_midipatchset cvar, to see if you have a non-GM soundfont specified. If you don't have anything set for snd_midipatchset, perhaps FMOD's using a system default which is non-GM.
I checked that CVAR and it's set to a NULL value -- two quotation marks with nothing in the middle.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

jdagenet wrote:I recorded some in-game audio of D_RUNNIN (I know, I hate to put you through the torture) to give you guys a better idea of what is happening.
I compared the sound from the file you provided with the actual sound output using FMOD. They sound absolutely identical to me. In other words, this is not a bug, it's a "feature" caused by default soundfont on OS X.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

_mental_ wrote:
jdagenet wrote:I recorded some in-game audio of D_RUNNIN (I know, I hate to put you through the torture) to give you guys a better idea of what is happening.
I compared the sound from the file you provided with the actual sound output using FMOD. They sound absolutely identical to me. In other words, this is not a bug, it's a "feature" caused by default soundfont on OS X.
Not a very good feature if you ask me :?

However, I managed to fix the problem.
I searched on the Internet for the Windows GM DLS file and I stumbled a crossed it here.
I saved the GM.DLS file to my desktop and I set the SND_MIDIPATCHSET CVAR to that DLS file and the problem is no longer present.

Perhaps it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to bundle this DLS file in future versions of ZDoom and possibly a README.txt file to help others resolve the problem.
Blzut3

Post by Blzut3 »

_mental_ wrote:I compared the sound from the file you provided with the actual sound output using FMOD. They sound absolutely identical to me. In other words, this is not a bug, it's a "feature" caused by default soundfont on OS X.
Perhaps this would be a good reason to bother with implementing CoreMIDI support? Assuming the OS X system synthesizer sounds any better.
Chris

Post by Chris »

jdagenet wrote:However, I managed to fix the problem.
I searched on the Internet for the Windows GM DLS file and I stumbled a crossed it here.
The default Windows soundfont is pretty horrible. I would recommend this one, or this one (AFAIK, FMOD should work with sf2 as well as dls).
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

Chris wrote:
jdagenet wrote:However, I managed to fix the problem.
The default Windows soundfont is pretty horrible. I would recommend this one, or this one (AFAIK, FMOD should work with sf2 as well as dls).
Are you able to use .SF2 with the FMOD device? I thought FMOD only supported .DLS files -- Fluidsynth and TiMidi++ were the only two devices in ZDoom that had .SF2 support, right?

Return to “Tutorials”