The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Handy guides on how to do things, written by users for users.

Moderators: GZDoom Developers, Raze Developers

Forum rules
Please don't start threads here asking for help. This forum is not for requesting guides, only for posting them. If you need help, the Editing forum is for you.
karmakazi

Re: The official "ZDoom on Mac OS X" thread.

Post by karmakazi »

Hey guys, there's a mod that I am absolutely bonkers over, but has stopped working as it develops. Im pretty sure it's because it's being developed for a more advanced version of gzdoom on a PC platform. As far as I know (take that with a grain of salt) I am using the most recent build on OSX, but I am not sure by any means. Can anybody point me to the VERY latest build?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

It might help if you mentioned what mod, and what precise version of ZDoom you're using.
karmakazi

Post by karmakazi »

The Mod is Kyle873's Doom rpg mod, and the version I have is OSX-0.2.1.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

karmakazi wrote:Can anybody point me to the VERY latest build?
I guess you are looking for this.
doomjoshuaboy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by doomjoshuaboy »

hey I upgrade my mac to 10.9.3 but i can't seems to find ZDoom or GZDoom in my Mac HD's library application support and it put in to my username's library application support were the saved games are but the library folder is missing from my username (might have moved to the system for some reason) can you help me please?

Used:
ZDoom(Latest svn build)
gzdoom(OSX 0.2.4*LATEST*)

EDIT:
figured it out a way

Link here: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/
Last edited by doomjoshuaboy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

I am going to try and get this to work on my hackintosh(which works better than my actual mac which I hate), but is GZDoom still supported on Mac OS X? If it isn't, would it be possible to compile a linux version via a package porting system?
EDIT: I am running 10.9.0, And I don't want to upgrade, because everything will break and I'll have to reinstall, also It is the first version of OSX to properly support my GPU.
doomjoshuaboy
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by doomjoshuaboy »

xenoxols wrote:I am going to try and get this to work on my hackintosh(which works better than my actual mac which I hate), but is GZDoom still supported on Mac OS X? If it isn't, would it be possible to compile a linux version via a package porting system?
EDIT: I am running 10.9.0, And I don't want to upgrade, because everything will break and I'll have to reinstall, also It is the first version of OSX to properly support my GPU.
Theres anotther way
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

1.Download it, unzip it and drag into your applications folder.
2.click the app, choose "Is a folder" from a drop-line, click find(I know its a lot of folders).
3.Don't click show 2000, do show all, then wait for all the folders to show up, find the "Library" that had it in your username (look at the bottom of the app), right click(secondary click), Make visible.
4.You got your library folder back into your username
This trick is only for who had 10.9.3 already on your mac systems.
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

Ok, I have a bit of a problem.

GZDoom on Mac OSX will actually crash on certain levels (Community Chest 4: Map20, Deus Vult II Map19, RTC-3057)

Any way to remedy this?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Hellstorm Archon wrote:GZDoom on Mac OSX will actually crash on certain levels (Community Chest 4: Map20, Deus Vult II Map19, RTC-3057)
I will check this issue as soon as possible. But first I need to know the version you are using, along with additional WADs and command line switches (if any).
It will be even better if you create an issue here (if you have a GitHub account) or here (if you have a Google account).

EDIT: I suspect it can be GL nodes saving issue on versions prior to 0.2.5. If you are already using this version please attach a crash log.
jdagenet

Post by jdagenet »

The current build of GZDoom I have on my Macbook Pro is 1.5.6. I got the build of GZDoom here.
Are there any other builds of GZDoom on the Mac that are up-to-date with the current build of ZDoom so that way I can play a much larger variety of mods?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

jdagenet wrote:I got the build of GZDoom here.
You can grab the latest build here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This may well be the best place to ask this.

Recently I have done some rewriting of the OpenGL code for more modern hardware. One of the changes was to go from GLSL 1.2 to 1.3, i.e. from GL 2.1 to GL 3.0.
On Windows and Linux this is all no problem, but Apple has made the strange decision, not to implement GL 3.0 at all, all they offer is an ancient feature limited GL 2.1 context and a 3.2 core context. Now my problems are, due to hardware limitations I neither can make GL 3.2 a requirement nor transition the engine to a core context because that'd lock out much older hardware that for inexplicable reasons seems to remain popular in the Doom community.

I am wondering now, how this will affect the MacOSX port? It's clear that as it stands it'd force the Mac version to revert to the 2.1 fallback implementation, using no shaders at all. Any way to solve this?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Indeed, the situation with OpenGL versions support on OS X is kinda weird. It's possible to use either core context (3.2 starting from OS X 10.7 and 4.1 starting from 10.9) or legacy 2.1 context.
Although, they cannot be combined. For instance, it's impossible to compile GLSL 1.2 programs using core context.
Some time ago I tried your GLEW_VERSION branch on OS X with OpenGL 4.1. In short, after a few hacks it was compiled and ran, but everything I got was black screen. On Windows it works just fine.
Also, support for OS X core context in GLEW is pretty bad. It's called experimental, but actually a patching of sources is required to make it work. SDL 1.2 doesn't support creation of core context too.
At the moment I continue to use 2.1 because core context usage requires way too many changes.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's what I feared. Don't bother with the GLEW_VERSION branch, though, it has been abandoned because it's unfeasible for general release, it just was a thing to play with to test some of the new features. The real work is in the GLEW_Version_for_real branch. That one contains two render paths, one for GL 2.1 with no use of shaders and one with GL 3.0 with full feature support. When I did that I didn't know yet what a dick move Apple made by completely leaving out the important 3.0 version of OpenGL which is the only one to contain a modern shading language and full legacy feature support.

I am working towards removing most of the legacy features but I'm facing some serious issues with some of the limitations, the worst one being, that prior to the GL_ARB_buffer_storage extension there was no good way to do frequent small buffer updates, they just are too expensive and this will keep me locked to a compatibility context for quite some time because otherwise on GL 3.x hardware it'd be too slow.

From what you said, though, it sounds like using a core context is mostly a no-go for various reasons anyway, so what can we do? I don't want to stick to GL 2.1 forever, its shading language is just far too incomplete and requires quite a waste of resources to work as expected. I somehow fear that I'll have to fork the engine into one 2.1 and one 3.x+ version, otherwise I'll run into major problems sooner or later.

As for GLEW, yes, it seems to be completely oblivious of the need to provide proper core context support. I just get a one-for-all include and can't filter out the stuff that's obsolete. It's going to be a lot of work, sadly...
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The decision for OS X here is very simple: use either legacy 2.1 as is or re-implement everything with strict core context 3.2 (or higher, in some cases) compatibility. But for real development it's a real pain.
Apple dropped support for 10.6. OpenGL 3.2 is available in any version starting from 10.7 on 5 years old hardware. Detailed info on this is in the tables here.
Surely, I will give a try to GLEW_Version_for_real branch. Sooner or later I hope to make core context based renderer operational on OS X.
Until then, a separate branch for modern renderer is a good solution. As on Windows and (I guess) on Linux it can be used right now. Sometimes, OS X version will follow...

Return to “Tutorials”