Smooth Doom [WIP 2.0 TEST? WOWIE ZOWIE]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
DTDsphere

Re: Smooth Doom (all non-bosses finished!)

Post by DTDsphere »

This is when it started being unplayable. Why can't this just be a simple mod? Why does it have to introduce stuff like this?
Spoiler:
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

I just hope that when the final version come out all can be change with a inside menu and no with the mutator, honestly it start to feel like some kind of dlc
better to switch things on/off than keep several files
SublimelyElegant

Post by SublimelyElegant »

Installed and I'll be using this from now it. I'll be even happier when the option to remove the ketchup comes along; that and smooth bosses!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

Good news, everyone!

More to come on the delicate fineries resting within.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Sweet! O:
JPL

Post by JPL »

Given that this project's name is now Smooth Doom (which is an excellent name :]) maybe you should get permission from the folks behind the smooth weapon animations project and whomever did the "smooth switches" mod to make it encompass all those things, for 100% smoothness all around.

Agree on being able to turn off ketchup, it's a bigger liberty to take with the game's aesthetics than simply smoothing animations.

This project kicks ass!
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Great mod :) I really like it. A lot! :)

By the way, looking to the sky on level 1 Episode 1 for DooM, i wonder if could be feasible to animate the clouds to make more dynamic!
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

JPL wrote:Given that this project's name is now Smooth Doom (which is an excellent name :]) maybe you should get permission from the folks behind the smooth weapon animations project and whomever did the "smooth switches" mod to make it encompass all those things, for 100% smoothness all around.

Agree on being able to turn off ketchup, it's a bigger liberty to take with the game's aesthetics than simply smoothing animations.

This project kicks ass!
Thanks very much! PK's smooth weapons are already bundled in here (from the improved release), and I'm still trying to track down the smooth switches, as I'd bundle those in a heartbeat. If anybody knows where to find those, let me know. (edit: similarly, if anyone knows where I could get the bullet casing sprites from Blood that would also be helpful)

Unfortunately I think an animated sky texture would be a pretty crazy undertaking, I don't think I could do it.
Naitguolf

Post by Naitguolf »

Gifty wrote:Unfortunately I think an animated sky texture would be a pretty crazy undertaking, I don't think I could do it.
Yeah, indeed. I will do if could :) I see some crazy stuff here! Love to play with you mod, i will stick with it! Now, looking a great particles mod :)
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

Gifty wrote:I'm still trying to track down the smooth switches, as I'd bundle those in a heartbeat. If anybody knows where to find those, let me know.
This is all I could manage to find so far: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=34400
mallo

Post by mallo »

Now that I think of it, the thing that mostly annoys me in these blood particles is the fact that they're super-duper Hi-res sprites that do not fit with rest of the world.
scissorman11785

Post by scissorman11785 »

It's unanimous: the spatter particles are too high-res. Make them lower-res and they'll fit the game's old-school pixelated aesthetic better. I think you should implement the spatter particles from the Nashgore wad; they look more appropriate and won't cause slow-down.
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

scissorman11785 wrote:It's unanimous: the spatter particles are too high-res. Make them lower-res and they'll fit the game's old-school pixelated aesthetic better. I think you should implement the spatter particles from the Nashgore wad; they look more appropriate and won't cause slow-down.
I think you need to learn the definition of unanimous, because two people saying it's too high-res out of however many people have said anything about the gore so far isn't it.

I'm going to make this clear for anyone who may not understand the issue: the gore's appearance is not the issue. In fact, I think it looks fine. The issue is that there's so much of it that looking in the direction of several gibbed corpses results in immense amounts of slowdown, and when it's still "in flight" it obstructs the player's view to an unnecessary degree. However, there's no need to discuss fixes for it because he's already working on it, as a gore slider is appearing in the next update. Or at least a gore option, I'm not sure if it'll be a slider. So can we stop complaining about the gore and move on to talking about actual problems, please?
scissorman11785

I admit that I exaggerated when I said 'unanimous,' but quite a few people other than myself have taken issue with the spatter particles. They look too crisp and out of place in a game as awesomely retro as Doom.
scissorman11785

I apologize for my nagging. I'll stop now.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”