[WIP] DoomCraft - Minecraft in ZDoom!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
icelink256

Re: [WIP] MCDoom - Minecraft in ZDoom!

Post by icelink256 »

Damn! This is some impressive code! O_O

...Please tell me you're planning to work on a proper Minecraft Mod, of some sort. Even if it's simpler, and more restricted.

Because I have a few simple ideas, of ways you could procedurally generate some game elements, like trees, using spawn templates.

SLAB6? That's the fancy voxel thing made by Ken Silverman, isn't it?
There should be a pull-down menu of some kind with a paste option, for the different sides of a cube, if I recall correctly. I don't remember too well how the positioning in that thing works, though.

...How well does ZDoom handle voxels, out of curiosity?
Even just a 32x32x32 block map, would be a thing.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

icelink256 wrote:Please tell me you're planning to work on a proper Minecraft Mod, of some sort. Even if it's simpler, and more restricted.
That pretty much sums up my plans for this mod
icelink256 wrote:Because I have a few simple ideas, of ways you could procedurally generate some game elements, like trees, using spawn templates.
I'm interested.
icelink256 wrote:There should be a pull-down menu of some kind with a paste option, for the different sides of a cube, if I recall correctly. I don't remember too well how the positioning in that thing works, though.
It's all done through pressing the shift key and dragging the mouse, but I can't paste it on all the sides I need because you have to press Page Up/Page Down, and my laptop doesn't have that on its keyboard (as its own key)
icelink256 wrote:How well does ZDoom handle voxels, out of curiosity?
Relatively decently, it's not great, but not terrible either.
Lisac_the_fox
Location: In front of hell, looking down into the deep red abyss.

Post by Lisac_the_fox »

Better than first version, but still i can't place block on a block!
Edit: I found a way, just look down.
Last edited by Lisac_the_fox on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisac_the_fox

Post by Lisac_the_fox »

Imps trying to get intro my castle, they pushing the blocks. Conclusion: I think blocks should have more mass!
Voxelbro

Post by Voxelbro »

Tip about SLAB6: don't do the bulk of your voxel on it. Seriously. I recomend MagicaVoxel, that's what I use
take this voxel https://www.mediafire.com/folder/1iew26z2c8el9/
due to voxel limitations ( all faces must have the same color), it's not possible to be an exact copy
The Zombie Killer

Lisac_the_fox wrote:but still i can't place block on a block!
That's because of a bug, only the last block placed will be detected by the code and be enabled to have blocks on top of it.
The first version fixed that bug, but then introduced a new bug which made it so it was very difficult or impossible to place a block next to another block.
Lisac_the_fox wrote:Imps trying to get intro my castle, they pushing the blocks. Conclusion: I think blocks should have more mass!
I know about this bug, and I know how to fix it, I was just too lazy to fix it at the time :p
It'll be fixed in the next version.
Voxelbro wrote:Tip about SLAB6: don't do the bulk of your voxel on it. Seriously. I recomend MagicaVoxel, that's what I use
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out
T_Silverwolf

Post by T_Silverwolf »

Hey there,

If you have the cube you attempted to model available (assuming it conforms to 16x16 doom units), I'd be happy to model and UV map another one for you. I've been wanting to mess around with doom's scale but I've been really busy lately so I don't have the time to actually sit down and figure it out point for point. :(

Brilliant work with the code, by the way. Quite something to see!
Lisac_the_fox

Post by Lisac_the_fox »

Is there anyway to fix the block-on-block problem?
The Zombie Killer

T_Silverwolf wrote:If you have the cube you attempted to model available (assuming it conforms to 16x16 doom units), I'd be happy to model and UV map another one for you. I've been wanting to mess around with doom's scale but I've been really busy lately so I don't have the time to actually sit down and figure it out point for point. :(
Sadly, I don't have the model anymore. It didn't fit exactly into 16x16 units anyway, it was closer to 15.5x15.5
Lisac_the_fox wrote:Is there anyway to fix the block-on-block problem?
I've been trying to, but I can't seem to find a way at the moment. I'll figure it out eventually (I hope)
Then I can finally start adding things like monsters and more block types.
Nash

Post by Nash »

The problem with using voxels for the blocks is that if you decide to go serious with this project, modding support would become a little difficult because voxel creation isn't intuitive (and not everyone has experience using voxel editors; they're quite intimidating) and would require a lot of effort just to update the assets. With MD3 models, the user can just drop in their texture replacement images and everything will be propagated on the fly.

However, use MD3s and you'll make the mod unplayable for software renderer users...

Pick your poison. XD

(On a side note, sometimes I'd misread this thread title as McDoom, and can't help but imagine McDonald's...)
Lisac_the_fox

Post by Lisac_the_fox »

Nash wrote:The problem with using voxels for the blocks is that if you decide to go serious with this project, modding support would become a little difficult because voxel creation isn't intuitive (and not everyone has experience using voxel editors; they're quite intimidating) and would require a lot of effort just to update the assets. With MD3 models, the user can just drop in their texture replacement images and everything will be propagated on the fly.

However, use MD3s and you'll make the mod unplayable for software renderer users...

Pick your poison. XD

(On a side note, sometimes I'd misread this thread title as McDoom, and can't help but imagine McDonald's...)
Please stay on voxels, my comp cant run openGL, and i will make you blocks and items.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Nash wrote:(On a side note, sometimes I'd misread this thread title as McDoom, and can't help but imagine McDonald's...)
I thought I was the only one! :P
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

need to change the name? why not DoomCraft(or DoomineCraft If it exists)?
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

I see this being very useful for Invasion modes. Build a basic fort, obtain points by killing mobs, use points for specialty parts and stronger blocks.

Or even DoomForts! Would love to see SourceForts remade in the Doom engine, especially from back before it was class-based and more limited.
The Zombie Killer

GZDoom allows a modder to use both models and voxels at the same time. So I'll probably go down that route.
If anyone can give be a 16x16 UV-mapped cube, I'll love them forever.
Lisac_the_fox wrote:Please stay on voxels, my comp cant run openGL, and i will make you blocks and items.
You might wanna get a new PC then if you can't run GL mode :p
Don't worry though, I'll still have voxels there for software users. If I can get a model they'll be converted from it with poly2vox.
Captain J wrote:need to change the name? why not DoomCraft
Poll!
Triple S wrote:I see this being very useful for Invasion modes. Build a basic fort, obtain points by killing mobs, use points for specialty parts and stronger blocks.

Or even DoomForts! Would love to see SourceForts remade in the Doom engine, especially from back before it was class-based and more limited.
I'll probably end up going in that direction for the mod, dunno yet though.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”