GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Indecom

Re: GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Post by Indecom »

I played this for about 45 minutes testing all kinds of wads. The only problem i've found is knee deep in zdoom wont start up, and the brutal doom mod has weird hall of mirrors effect on several walls and subsectors. Other than that, the vanilla wads work great and it feels really cool. Slightly hard to aim with the gun right in the middle of your view, but other than that it's totally awesome.
janiform

Post by janiform »

I'd love to see some videos of some wads being played. How does in-game architecture "feel"? Do large structures or areas feel larger?
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Let's just say the Archvile looks to be about 8 feet tall
janiform

Post by janiform »

Awesome.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

It's definitely a cool experience :) It feels like you're inside of the game, albeit while wearing aviator goggles, but it's my new favorite way to play doom.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Indecom wrote:I played this for about 45 minutes testing all kinds of wads. The only problem i've found is knee deep in zdoom wont start up, and the brutal doom mod has weird hall of mirrors effect on several walls and subsectors. Other than that, the vanilla wads work great and it feels really cool. Slightly hard to aim with the gun right in the middle of your view, but other than that it's totally awesome.
Thanks Indecom for the thoughtful feedback. About the weapon position: when I created this mod, I actually nudged the weapon upward because I felt it was too low. For the doom pistol and shotgun, the weapon sits significantly below the target spot for me. Perhaps I should nudge it downward again. What resolution are you using? I'm considering trying to make the weapon smaller too; it seems sort of big to me. But I don't know how to do that yet. I should probably get in contact with an experienced developer of zdoom.

It's great to learn that someone is playing my mod. Your feedback is much much appreciated. I'll try to make time to investigate those wads you had trouble with. Thanks again!

Christopher
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Thanks Chris, btw that's my name too XD Umm anywho, i think a good idea would be to lower and shrink the weapons, then maybe add a crosshair just above it. what do you think?
biospud

Post by biospud »

Indecom wrote:Thanks Chris, btw that's my name too XD Umm anywho, i think a good idea would be to lower and shrink the weapons, then maybe add a crosshair just above it. what do you think?
The crosshair is a good idea. And I think zdoom has a built in crosshair, so it might "just work"; or at least be easy to find. Creating my own custom crosshair wouldn't be too hard either.

I started creating issues on github, so I won't forget, based on yours and others' feedback. For example (weapon size): https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issues/1

Hmm... I'm starting to see referrals from reddit to my download site. I hope this won't impact my relationship with my $2/month web host provider...
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Haha man if you need to, host the site on dropbox, just stick it in your public folder and bam, free website hosting up to 2 gigs in size
biospud

Post by biospud »

Indecom wrote:Haha man if you need to, host the site on dropbox, just stick it in your public folder and bam, free website hosting up to 2 gigs in size
Thanks, Dropbox is a good idea.

I just created a new thread on the Projects board of this site, where this topic probably reallly belongs.
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37659

Let's try to keep further discussion of GZ3Doom over there.
biospud

Post by biospud »

Indecom wrote:...problem i've found is knee deep in zdoom wont start up,
Apparently the "Knee-Deep in ZDoom" issue is a known problem in the zdoom community. Using Graf Zahl's knee-deep release fixes the problem:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 15#p691627

This problem is not specific to gz3doom.
https://github.com/cmbruns/gzdoom/issue ... t-26688671
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Cool, thanks for the links! Can't wait to dive in and give it a shot! It's the perfect wad for VR, plus a little brutal wad action, tasty!

Return to “General”