X-Weapon: Helsturm (XW: 12-13-14|HS: 04-11-16 UPDATE)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ghenghiskhan

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 10-28-13)

Post by ghenghiskhan »

Hi guys, this is really a great mod. Some time ago somebody posted a link to a modified test version of brutal doom 19 without weapons so it can be used with your mod seamlessly. I have tried to disable the weapons myself in the latest and prolly definite version of brutal doom, but commenting out the includes (guns, ammo, dropables) in decorate didnt help. Would somebody be so kind and post the "lite" version of BD so I can enjoy it with the X-Weapon mod? Pretty please with sugar on top? :) Thanks!
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

This mod blows my mind, it feels like Russian Overkill's sibling. The weapons are amazingly well designed and have a true feeling of power. But I have a small list of complaints:

-I think the starting pistol feels sluggish, you could speed up the firerate or it's power (or replace it with the Slot 0 pistol)
-There should be more effects, such as blood (Nashgore could work) and the barrel explosions

Besides that, this mod is Cacoward content. A+ worthy. :D
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

ghenghiskhan wrote:Hi guys, this is really a great mod. Some time ago somebody posted a link to a modified test version of brutal doom 19 without weapons so it can be used with your mod seamlessly. I have tried to disable the weapons myself in the latest and prolly definite version of brutal doom, but commenting out the includes (guns, ammo, dropables) in decorate didnt help. Would somebody be so kind and post the "lite" version of BD so I can enjoy it with the X-Weapon mod? Pretty please with sugar on top? :) Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/760nh99l6oc45 ... 19lite.pk3

It's based off of Test 8372, although most of the changes between versions had to do with the weapons anyway. I may update it if need be.
Ribo Zurai wrote:This mod blows my mind, it feels like Russian Overkill's sibling. The weapons are amazingly well designed and have a true feeling of power. But I have a small list of complaints:

-I think the starting pistol feels sluggish, you could speed up the firerate or it's power (or replace it with the Slot 0 pistol)
-There should be more effects, such as blood (Nashgore could work) and the barrel explosions

Besides that, this mod is Cacoward content. A+ worthy. :D

Barrel explosions are definitely a must. The Nighthawk's meant to be big and slow as a starting pistol, as clips (and the occasional pistol upgrade or upgraded Pistol Zombie) are generally abundant in most WADS - it's usually the first weapon you replace. Nashgore gets put in everything, although for pretty good reason.

Right now, I'm working on alternate ammo types for all weapons - currently have Hollow Points for the ARs, Heavy and Wide Shells for the shotguns, and Explosive Rounds for the pistols, as well as "Bombardment Torpedoes" for the Phasic Launcher. I haven't thought of much for the Demontech or the BFG in the way of alternate ammo, and I don't think it's really necessary. I might try to test out a few ideas I had (one of which revolves around a 1-tic firing loop using A_RailAttack, among other things). I'll post some screens soon.

Another thing: I will add Super Shotgun Guys as elite spawns, as well as the rarer Quad Shotgun Guys and Automatic Shotgun Guys. Depending on the spawning frequency, it may require that the base SSG-to-QSG/ASG ratio be raised somewhat.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Oh goody, cant wait for the next release!
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

im glad it no longer feels like a straight up copy from other weapon mods deal, but a lot of guns feel way too me-too ish. minor stat changes aint doom's forte when it comes to weapon differences
Hornetzero

Post by Hornetzero »

What's people's fascination of overpowered lost souls, I will never know. Thankfully, this doesn't have a Cyber demon with guided missiles or over the top explosives.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

The Spectre replacements feel a bit too powerful, given how common they tend to be. That plasma attack they do can really rip through your health and armor if there are a bunch of them around. I think that ranged attack would be okay if they weren't completely invisible until their ready to fire, since together it's difficult to counter. Also any chance for new armors/health/armor pickups?

I agree on adding more effects and gore, if you're willing. Maybe not necessarily nashgore if you're not so inclined, but something to go with the already satisfying weapon selection.
Last edited by -Ghost- on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

-Ghost- wrote:The Spectre replacements feel a bit too powerful, given how common they tend to be.
I agree. These guys are deadlier than the Hell Barons now. :shock:
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

Ribo Zurai wrote:
-Ghost- wrote:The Spectre replacements feel a bit too powerful, given how common they tend to be.
I agree. These guys are deadlier than the Hell Barons now. :shock:
I'll probably end up having Demons and Spectres spawn in equal quantities (right now Demon spawners occasionally spawn Spectres, and Spectre spawners ALWAYS spawn Spectres).
-Ghost- wrote:The Spectre replacements feel a bit too powerful, given how common they tend to be. That plasma attack they do can really rip through your health and armor if there are a bunch of them around. I think that ranged attack would be okay if they weren't completely invisible until their ready to fire, since together it's difficult to counter. Also any chance for new armors/health/armor pickups?

I agree on adding more effects and gore, if you're willing. Maybe not necessarily nashgore if you're not so inclined, but something to go with the already satisfying weapon selection.
I've added an experimental gore system based off of BD's, minus the guts, and with much less blood (BD's is too over-the-top for X-Weapon in its normal state).

I still have a bunch of voxels to complete (as well as voxels for WW's Accessories to Murder - if I'm going to do it for X-Weapon, which uses a lot of the same sprites, I might as well do it for its parent mod), but Nazis are coming in the next update, hopefully before Christmas. Big ones, little ones, Luger ones, MP-40 ones, StG44 ones, and others, too (probably using Nazi sprites from ww-nazis-v2 and sound effects/code from my MoHA mod, since I have it). They will randomly drop all ammo types, with rockets, Demontech mags, grenades, chaingun ammo, and BFG cells being the least common drops.
Hornetzero wrote:What's people's fascination of overpowered lost souls, I will never know. Thankfully, this doesn't have a Cyber demon with guided missiles or over the top explosives.
I plan on weakening the LS a little bit before the next update - they're murder right now, absolute murder. And about Cybie...his grenade clusters are TECHNICALLY slightly guided, though I'm sure their gravity pretty much negates this effect. I also have to fix the Revenant Warden's grenades, as a number of them tend to persist longer than they should, for reasons I cannot explain right now (apparently giving them player grenade physics simply doesn't work).
chronoteeth wrote:im glad it no longer feels like a straight up copy from other weapon mods deal, but a lot of guns feel way too me-too ish. minor stat changes aint doom's forte when it comes to weapon differences
Well, that's not something I plan on changing any time soon - the upgraded weapons are a bonus, a reward for being persistent/lucky enough and killing though enough undead bastards to get the cooler toys. Small stat changes, believe it or not, make a huge difference, as slight firepower improvements go a long way towards conserving ammo supply and dealing more efficient damage.

I end this post with a note of trivia: X-Weapon's DMR was directly inspired by the Browning Automatic Rifle, including its 20-round magazine and considerably greater recoil than either the AR or LMG.
Master_Moose

Post by Master_Moose »

-Ghost- wrote:The Spectre replacements feel a bit too powerful, given how common they tend to be. That plasma attack they do can really rip through your health and armor if there are a bunch of them around. I think that ranged attack would be okay if they weren't completely invisible until their ready to fire, since together it's difficult to counter. Also any chance for new armors/health/armor pickups?

I've added an experimental gore system based off of BD's, minus the guts, and with much less blood (BD's is too over-the-top for X-Weapon in its normal state).

I still have a bunch of voxels to complete (as well as voxels for WW's Accessories to Murder - if I'm going to do it for X-Weapon, which uses a lot of the same sprites, I might as well do it for its parent mod), but Nazis are coming in the next update, hopefully before Christmas. Big ones, little ones, Luger ones, MP-40 ones, StG44 ones, and others, too (probably using Nazi sprites from ww-nazis-v2 and sound effects/code from my MoHA mod, since I have it). They will randomly drop all ammo types, with rockets, Demontech mags, grenades, chaingun ammo, and BFG cells being the least common drops.

You are more than welcome to use my gore for my ww-nazis Redux patch. I believe it has both the chracteristics of ww-ATM and Brutal Doom.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dd6bp ... +patch.zip
TheRailgunner

Post by TheRailgunner »

I'll test it out your ww-nazis gore. In the mean time, I have to nerf the hell out of the Nazis I've added, as even a handful of them murdernate the player within seconds (they're worse than BD's Nazis, if you can believe it). Right now, they come in Pistol Guard, Pistol Officer, Submachinegunner, Rifleman, and Assault Riflemen (in khaki, feldgrau/gray, or SS black, except for the Assault Riflemen, who are SS-only). Their ammo drops aren't configured yet, and therefore drop nothing.
TheRailgunner

Re: [WIP] X-Weapon: The Weaponing! (Updated 03-31-14)

Post by TheRailgunner »

It isn't very big of an update, but it includes rebalanced enemy speeds, unique armors (Bulletproof, Fireproof, and Anti-Explosive, as well as combo armors), voxels for the AR and special AR, as well as Voxelbro's awesome voxel casings for AtM. A larger, more proper update is coming very, very soon.
Ribo Zurai

Post by Ribo Zurai »

Oh incredible news! :D
m4lmaster

Post by m4lmaster »

TheRailgunner wrote:It isn't very big of an update, but it includes rebalanced enemy speeds, unique armors (Bulletproof, Fireproof, and Anti-Explosive, as well as combo armors), voxels for the AR and special AR, as well as Voxelbro's awesome voxel casings for AtM. A larger, more proper update is coming very, very soon.
god dammit railgunner i just got into the last update. i needa disable voxels....makes me lag like a sonofabitch
m4lmaster

Post by m4lmaster »

the options for turning voxels in OpenGL is marked Unknown. so is the options for regeneration and fuck yourself

Return to “Gameplay Mods”