Winter's Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Hareton

Re: Winter's Fury: 1.2 Polish Update

Post by Hareton »

Is it possible to use only weapons from this mod, and play another maps?
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Hareton

Post by Hareton »

1. There are no Winter's Fury weapons.
2. These wads do not replace weapons in the game and require further modding.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Sorry, I misread your question entirely.
But the answer is still yes. You can "rip" the weapons out from Winter's Fury along with their DECORATE's and use them in other WAD's.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

with SLADE or slumped, of course.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Yes, exactly. Otherwise you'd be pretty stuck
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

Two smaller issues I found so far, for further polishing:
+ There's a red pixel in the "Q" letter of the light blue font (you can check it in the quicksave question, for example)
+ In the cutscenes, "Sergeant" is sometimes not spelled correctly (in general, there are some mistakes in those messages, but I guess it's known already)

I also agree that the lower difficulties are too hard in general. I wouldn't say it is a matter of a lack of health packs, but mobs do insane amounts of damage. I found the difficulty of this mod to be pretty high in general, so I would suggest to cut dmg ratio of mobs (including all bosses) on the lowest difficulty by something like 25-50% and see if that does the trick already (mind that lowest skill lvl already halves damage, and it's still insanely high).

In general, a very impressive mod which is especially great to play now that it's supposed to be winter, but no snow around here. At least you can have it in the game. ^^
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

agree about difficulties. and most important, you can't kill the pinkies in a one shot with a super shotgun even you're so close to them. i know it's still powerful for demon crowd but... :(
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

Holy elf, did I just found a log?
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

It's true, the weapons could also do more damage. I was surprised and disappointed about the super shotgun merely blasting away an Imp with one shot, and even then you gotta be lucky. Standard enemies turn into an annoyance like that, especially during boss fights when you should save rockets and plasma for the big guy and they don't go down with shotgun fire easily. Maybe it's OK if the winter versions of the mobs are a bit tougher, but it can't be that I am unloading tons of shells just to bring down one Caco - and that on the lowest difficulty. So: Enemy dmg down, own dmg up... that's on my wishlist for v1.3. ^^

Oh yeah, and did anyone have a HOM in that level where you meet Dark for the first time, the one where you approach that huge gate (I think it's the one shown on the screenshot in the first post here)? It's on the left side when facing the gate, up in the sky. Maybe a skybox issue or something.

And what also sucks is autoaim locked on hanging corpses... that is good for some serious misses during intense fights. Please turn that off, will ya? :P
Attachments
Autoaim is locking on corpses like this one...
Autoaim is locking on corpses like this one...
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

NightFright wrote:And what also sucks is autoaim locked on hanging corpses... that is good for some serious misses during intense fights. Please turn that off, will ya? :P
Fortunately [wiki=Actor_flags#NOTAUTOAIMED]pretty easy to do[/wiki].

And holy waffles, I really do need to actually play this, don't I? :o
Pyroscourge

Post by Pyroscourge »

NightFright wrote: Maybe it's OK if the winter versions of the mobs are a bit tougher,
Turns out Winter's Fury was actually a horror mod, because here is the scary part:

THE ICE MONSTERS AND THE REGULAR MONSTERS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME! AND THE CALL IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE-

So I am pretty confused right now. I am assuming everyone just guessed they were stronger because the weapons were weaker? I could actually go through and replace every ice enemy in WF with regular ones and the difficulty would be mostly the same (Mancubus fire balls would be back to the original pattern, so not exactly the same).
NightFright wrote: Oh yeah, and did anyone have a HOM in that level where you meet Dark for the first time, the one where you approach that huge gate (I think it's the one shown on the screenshot in the first post here)? It's on the left side when facing the gate, up in the sky. Maybe a skybox issue or something.
That's been a problem since I first made the map, in 2010 or something. I think it is due to the size of the portal but I never really figured it out. It doesn't happen all the time so I decided to just pretend it doesn't exist. Since I didn't get a complaint about it until now, I would say that it worked.
I would rather not risk breaking the entire map, but I can try to fix it again anyway now that I understand portals a bit better.
NightFright wrote: And what also sucks is autoaim locked on hanging corpses... that is good for some serious misses during intense fights. Please turn that off, will ya? :P
That's what I get for playing without autoaim for so long! I'll make sure to change that with the
NeuralStunner wrote:Fortunately [wiki=Actor_flags#NOTAUTOAIMED]pretty easy to do[/wiki]
fix!
LostSkull wrote:
Spoiler: I found something! :o
Care to inform me what this is, or more likely, WHO it is, Pyroscourge? :3
LostSkull wrote:Holy elf, did I just found a log?
One of many. You can't escape your own mind.
NightFright wrote: + There's a red pixel in the "Q" letter of the light blue font (you can check it in the quicksave question, for example)
+ In the cutscenes, "Sergeant" is sometimes not spelled correctly (in general, there are some mistakes in those messages, but I guess it's known already)
Egads, my poor use of English comes back to haunt me again. I feel if ACS had an inbuilt spellchecker, this would have never happened. If you remember, can you please point out the parts that do have mistakes? I don't know them off the top of my head.
NightFright wrote: I would suggest to cut dmg ratio of mobs (including all bosses) on the lowest difficulty by something like 25-50% and see if that does the trick already (mind that lowest skill lvl already halves damage, and it's still insanely high).
I'll try that out in the new version, but I can't make any promises about difficulty fixes. Guess Winter's Fury will always be a naturally hard mod.
idGamer

Post by idGamer »

Turns out Winter's Fury was actually a horror mod, because here is the scary part:

THE ICE MONSTERS AND THE REGULAR MONSTERS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME!
What?!?! :shock:
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

just a classic palette swap, i see. why not change their speed also damages instead of health?

EDIT: nope, still not stronger enough and pyro said so.
Last edited by Captain J on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
LostSkull

Post by LostSkull »

I wish there was an ammo backpack hidden somehwere. Ammo tends to run out when playing vanilla and with some mods too.
I've seen perfect places for secret backpack locations but I think the mapper always should make his own decisions.

Return to “Levels”