Project MSX: MISP (MSX in multiple IWADS!) Updated 12/28!

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
amv2k9

Project MSX: MISP (MSX in multiple IWADS!) Updated 12/28!

Post by amv2k9 »

MISP allows for the new- and old-school FPS mechanic-fusing Project MSX to be played in Hacx 2.0, Heretic, Hexen and Strife, as well as custom levels for these games, provided they're just maps and don't modify weapons, items, the player, etc.

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Support Notes:
Spoiler:
Enemies:
As MSX had custom enemies, so too does MISP for each of the games it supports. While the methods to defeat them are rarely different from their vanilla equivalents (hint: shoot them), here is some information on some of the foes you can expect to find.
Spoiler:
Powerups:
Previous players of MSX will notice some new powerups and new icons in the HUD, depending on which IWAD they're playing. These are explained below:
Spoiler:
Download:
MISP Version 12.28.13

Usage instructions:
-Make sure you have the new version of Project MSX! MISP consists only of patches for MSX and does not contain the actual mod.
-Load the compat.pk3 for the IWAD you're playing AFTER projectmsx_v0.2.pk3.

Known Bugs:
-Strife & Hexen: You may survive some falls that would've killed you. I've set the player's falling damage multiplier to 3.0 for these games and done some testing, and it seems to work well, resulting in death when dealing with exremely long falls (i.e. the Guardian of Fire crumbling hallway that leads to the Flame Mask), but still giving you some leeway with shorter falls (i.e. the narrow walkway in the Ordeal map in Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, and the pit room in the alternate path to the Oracle's altar in Strife.). It may need to be tweaked, however.
-Strife: When your shield is at full, it repeats a neverending sound that goes away when you take damage, and comes back when it recharges to full again.

It's Not a Bug, It's a Feature(TM):
-You can sprint while flying in Heretic & Hexen. I may or may not take this out.

Credits:
MagSigmaX for Project MSX.
Large Raptor, Taurus and Hydra ammo pickup sprites based on, with edits, Real_Trisk's large Chimera ammo pickup sprite in Project MSX.
Jet Booster pickup sprite based on Russian Overkill shield pickup sprite by PillowBlaster.
Bormoreth based on DBThanatos' & Tormentor667's Bormoreth at Realm667.
Alchemist throwing animation from MagicWizard's Melee Disciple monster at Realm667.
Lava Demon from Realm667 by Virtue & CodenniumRed. Alternate 'cooling' death sprites are edits of mine based on Lava Demon sprites.
Magma Serpent from Realm667 by Fury3 & Ichor.
Last edited by amv2k9 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
RikohZX

Re: Project MSX: MISP (MSX in multiple IWADS!)

Post by RikohZX »

Seems Strife's compatibility has one obnoxious little glitch so far as I can tell: when your shield is at full, it repeats a neverending sound that goes away when you take damage, and comes back when it recharges to full again. Rather interesting way to play these games, though, keep up the good work in the patches.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I played through the first few levels of Heretic and it feels like you might need to either up the damage your guns deal a little or maybe up the ammo you find. I think Heretic and Hexen's monsters have a lot more HP than Doom's, so the basic ones are taking a lot of ammo to put down currently.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

RikohZX wrote:Seems Strife's compatibility has one obnoxious little glitch so far as I can tell: when your shield is at full, it repeats a neverending sound that goes away when you take damage, and comes back when it recharges to full again.
Crap. I ah, actually don't have sound working on my system right now, so I don't know how I can pinpoint what is causing this. Maybe it's a conflict with one of Strife's sounds having the same name as a MSX sound...
-Ghost- wrote:I played through the first few levels of Heretic and it feels like you might need to either up the damage your guns deal a little or maybe up the ammo you find.
I'll cut down the monsterhealth multiplier.
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Neato. Now all we need is MSX-style magical weaponry for Heretic and Hexen (especially Hexen, though, since Heretic strangely just kinda works with guns or magic).
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Triple S wrote:Neato. Now all we need is MSX-style magical weaponry for Heretic and Hexen (especially Hexen, though, since Heretic strangely just kinda works with guns or magic).
Why when this poor soul just got snagged from time and space to be a pawn in Serpent Riders' game? :lol:
Triple S

Post by Triple S »

Valherran wrote:
Triple S wrote:Neato. Now all we need is MSX-style magical weaponry for Heretic and Hexen (especially Hexen, though, since Heretic strangely just kinda works with guns or magic).
Why when this poor soul just got snagged from time and space to be a pawn in Serpent Riders' game? :lol:
Exactly! He isn't exactly gonna find pistol ammo and other guns lying around :v

On a more serious note... Nothing seems to be doing any notable levels of damage to me in Heretic, and my weapons are just as non-threatening. I kill things faster by running up and punching them than by shooting them, and with pretty much no risk of death.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Triple S wrote:
Valherran wrote:
Exactly! He isn't exactly gonna find pistol ammo and other guns lying around :v.
Yes he would, it's part of the game. Why else would Corvus be finding ammo for his weapons? They are scattered all over the place to see if he can survive for the sake of amusement. They made that pretty clear in Hexen 2. lol
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Triple S wrote:
Valherran wrote:
Exactly! He isn't exactly gonna find pistol ammo and other guns lying around :v

On a more serious note... Nothing seems to be doing any notable levels of damage to me in Heretic, and my weapons are just as non-threatening. I kill things faster by running up and punching them than by shooting them, and with pretty much no risk of death.
Yeah, I think it's like I said about with Doom and the other 2 games having different damage systems. An Ettin in Hexen has 175 HP (not sure how much damage they do), the comparable Imp has 60 (3-24 damage per hit) and Heretic's Golem has 80 (2-16 damage per hit). So I think Doom's monsters hit harder but can take less, while the other two games deal less damage but can take more. Correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm just going off what the Doom wiki says.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

I looked over the script library, and I can't tell what could be causing this sound loop glitch in Strife. I've asked MagSigmaX about it. It's strange that this occurs, and even stranger that it's limited to Strife; I left the damage scripts for all four patches alone. All I added was some stuff to make the new powerups work and the graphic arrays for 'em, and the prerequisite scripts to make Strife work, and those are mostly about lowering floors and such, nothing involving sounds.

Anyways, I was going to release an update for the Hexen/Heretic patches today, but I'll hold it back and amp up the damage those enemies are doing to you as well. I'm also planning on making them chase a bit more aggressively as well, maybe add in some dodging behavior with projectile enemies too.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I hope you keep adding items, it's pretty cool how the different games have different stuff. I like the idea of the suit being modular, so you can find different modules to add different abilities.
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

-Ghost- wrote:I hope you keep adding items, it's pretty cool how the different games have different stuff. I like the idea of the suit being modular, so you can find different modules to add different abilities.
I probably won't add more; there just isn't much space left in the HUD. The new ones are there mostly because they have to be; Strife has 2 sections, one quite long, where environmental protection is an absolute must, Hexen & Heretic have sections where, at the very least, flying is necessary to access secrets, if not to actually complete certain levels; E3M2 in Heretic, as an example.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

How soon can you put out a version that has the monster health multiplier removed? I would like to try this. ^^
amv2k9

Post by amv2k9 »

Valherran wrote:How soon can you put out a version that has the monster health multiplier removed? I would like to try this. ^^
Possibly tomorrow. Possibly.
TiberiumSoul
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TiberiumSoul »

I've been waiting for this for so bloody long and I can't even try it cause my internet is out (iPhone ftw)

Return to “Gameplay Mods”