[RELEASE 1+] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [RELEASE 1+] That Amazing Space Amazon... (by RSL)

Post by Matt »

I've only tried your rebuild so far.

I've also just tried Brutal Doom and that runs just fine. (The other mods I was using were Hideous Destructor and Fractal Doom, neither of them very light on actors either)

Let me try with the June 14 official build (the one without classes)...
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=17215

No such crash on official. Also lots and lots and lots of gibs and I'm lagging if I "SSG" 3 zombiemen in a row (BDv19 was just fine when I SSG'd these guys then).
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Very interesting... I'll keep an eye on this and poke around, see if I can learn anything important.

One last question: What's your G/ZDoom version? Does this happen in the latest dev builds? If so, how about the latest official releases?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

2013-10-11 build, G1.9 pre-314-gac0c07a, whatever that all means. From my recollection it was a build from August 27 and I can't compile anything newer than that.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Alright. For the sake of argument, would you be willing to try something newer, such as gzdoom-G1.9pre-337-g4122e40 from November 20th? Also, this one's a stab in the dark, but just in case my webspace played a trick and the upload wasn't finished when you grabbed it, would you be willing to download my TASA build again? It's probably unlikely, but stranger things have happened to me...

I've been poking at this issue, but so far haven't made any headway on determining what the cause might be. I play with the newest build possible (so gzdoom-G1.9pre-337-g4122e40 for right now), and didn't see anything unusual.
Matt

Post by Matt »

would you be willing to try something newer
can't compile
can not compile
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I didn't ask you to compile. Hence why I sent the dang hyperlink to the downloads. :|
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

As far as I know, Vaecrius uses Linux, so he can't use DRDTeam's builds, since they're Windows builds.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

The Zombie Killer wrote:As far as I know, Vaecrius uses Linux, so he can't use DRDTeam's builds, since they're Windows builds.
That would have been useful to know beforehand. I suppose his presence in the Linux thread implies it, but I don't try to make assumptions -- after all, many people I know on Linux also have Windows available to them.

Either way, if that's the case, I can't very well troubleshoot someone else's homemade build.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Theoretically I do have Windows installed, but EDIT2: forgot to finish this sentence. Let's just say that last time I tried to boot to Windows it's gotten so bad my keyboard doesn't respond at the logon screen. I'd attempt to reinstall the entire thing but Windows' DRM prevents me from doing that.

The top hypothesis compatible with "this build is probably broken" and "this wad and only this wad causes this problem" is that something goes wrong when too much is loaded into memory from a WAD at the same time.

I'd try to look at the wad itself to see if I could do anything, but problem is---holy shit I just got SLADE working, brb EDIT: Just exported everything to a zip. Still got the problem. Not a matter of wad or not wad.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

Vaecrius wrote:Theoretically I do have Windows installed, but

The top hypothesis compatible with "this build is probably broken" and "this wad and only this wad causes this problem" is that something goes wrong when too much is loaded into memory from a WAD at the same time.

I'd try to look at the wad itself to see if I could do anything, but problem is---holy shit I just got SLADE working, brb
If you find anything substantial, let me know. As I have zero experience with either Linux or home-compiling G/ZDoom, I'm at a loss as to what the root of the issue may be, or how to fix it, but I'm still curious.
Matt

Post by Matt »

In PHIFOES:

Code: Select all

Death.Abrupt:
      TNT1 A 0 //A_CustomMissile("RipGuts", 20, 0, random(0, 360), 2, random(0, 160))
      TNT1 A 0 A_XScream
      POSX ABCDEFGH 3 A_CustomMissile("ZygoBloodFountain", 20)
      TNT1 A 0 //A_CustomMissile("Zombieman2SgtMkIVXDeath", 20, 0, random(0, 360), 2, random(0, 160))
      TNT1 A 0 A_NoBlocking
      POSX IJKLMNOPQ 3 //A_CustomMissile("ZygoBloodFountain", 20)
      POSX Q -1
      Stop
This causes the crash. I allow RipGuts and/or Zombieman2SgtMkIVXDeath instead, it's still fine.

So obviously I assume there's something wrong with the ZygoBloodFountain actor but I haven't a clue what.

EDIT: Summoning a bunch of ZygoBloodFountains does not result in a crash.
EDIT2: Looking at the code again and realizing just how many of those A_CustomMissile calls are being made, I try summoning a rather large bunch of ZygoBloodFountains and walla as they say in cultured places there's the crash.
EDIT3: that's like ~20 actors comiong out of one of these fountains. That's 9 calls in each of the 2 sets of those 3-tic frames, meaning around 360 of them will appear along with all the other stuff. o_O EDIT4: EDIT3 was done without Ed's below input. Yeah, that's quite a shit ton. o_O; (EDIT5: assuming average 3 blood trail actors for each of those, and given 2-3 actors per SpawnDebris call, that's like 2000 actors spawned for shooting one zombieman. Now do the math when you've fully loaded the "S"SG and you've got 3 zeds lined up...)

EDIT6: But that just makes it even weirder why RSL's original works fine for me. o_O
Last edited by Matt on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

ZygoBloodFountain calls A_SpawnDebris a maximum of 29 times, for items that, themselves, spawn more items. So, the short answer is that ZygoBloodFountain creates a shit-ton of new actors; something that is widely notorious for hurting performance.
Matt

Post by Matt »

So after all that I just put "stop" after every "spawn:" in "ZYGOBLD" and the mod works like a charm!

And visually I don't think I even notice the difference what with all the gibs and other blood and whatnot...

You've really done a number on this what with the additional classes and all. If it weren't as good as it now I wouldn't have been up at 1AM on a work night trying to figure this all out. :D
Ed the Bat

Post by Ed the Bat »

I wholeheartedly agree to that. In fact, if we look back at the earlier posts of this thread, my disinterest in the overly excessive (particularly in terms of engine performance) blood/gore effects was the entire reason the FX Tamer was written! :3:

And I'm so glad you like what I've done! It's perhaps a little surprising that I didn't actually create any new content. All I did was repackage RSL's work into a neater bundle. :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

Ed the Bat wrote:I didn't actually create any new content.
rsl wrote:It's really nice to see all classes displayed together and selectable via menu.
....ahh. :shock:

I still can't see any of the other playerclasses in the /idgames version though. o_O

Return to “Gameplay Mods”