HIC SUNT DRACONES - (WIP)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
kodi

Re: HIC SUNT DRACONES - (WIP) [*way* pre-alpha test demo!]

Post by kodi »

neoworm wrote:I like the "long_before_pre-alpha" suffix. I saw pre-alpha games and mods that had much, much less work done.
I wouldn't want to give anyone false hope that this is done anytime soon :)
Vaecrius wrote:I like the little magnifying glass thing, though at the moment it seems a bit buggy (it sometimes disappears very early, or fails to disappear when you're no longer looking at the thing)
Right now it's all linedef triggers that decide whether you can examine something and what message to type. This causes problems in the corners where control lines are connected. Works fine in the house entrance where there's only one line though. Perhaps I should have invisible actors instead, so the angle at which you're looking at something could be measured too?
The torch should only appear in very dark areas and the player not given the ability to shine it outside of those places - it's weird to see that yellow spot out in broad daylight.
Yeah, I know. I really wish Intensity was something you could alter too, as opposed to only size. That isn't possible right?
Is it possible to get to the south part of the map at this point?
Yes, the southern part is accessible, though rather unfinished. There's also an underwater cave that opens to the sea to the north, but I removed it for this release.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I would definitely go with invisible actors (heck, even visible ones, maybe little hovering (EDIT: dragon-shaped) ? marks that disappear the first time you get the message but are otherwise reusable). That way you can do all sorts of distance and LOS stuff without having to re-do significant portions of the map every time something doesn't work quite right.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

I'm no good at... Latin?... but I'm assuming the title translates roughly to "Here Be Dragons", like at the edge of unexplored territory on a map? :lol:
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

actually "here are" it seems... until just now I was only familiar with the English wording and I didn't even know sunt was authentic. :V
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

kodi wrote:*after looking whole screenies*
I Approved. :shock:

...well, except this demo has a out of unknown textures and really laggy as heck. just like a showing the truth about my computer is sucks and poor. :(
kodi

Post by kodi »

Long time no work. Because coding hard is as balls I decided to remake the water once again. Had to learn the basics of after effects just for this, it's fascinating how much editing this old game can branch out into other stuff.
(hope the link works)
CorSair

Post by CorSair »

There is some shearing (or lines) seen in sun reflections which irritates me bit, but overall, looks quite convincing. Also, awesome is not enough in here. :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

The shearing looks to be just compression artifacts from the .gif conversion -- the lines are too uniform and horizontal to actually be part of the texture in game.

At any rate, this looks like some cool stuff! Not sold on the name, though -- it sounds weird.
ThomsonI

Post by ThomsonI »

That gif nearly made me do a spit-take, resulting in me choking on my vodka tonic going down the wrong pipe. I'm not joking, awesome work!
SlapTheFish

Post by SlapTheFish »

Screenshot 2, Last Crusade much? :D Looks AWESOME with a capital EWSMEOA!
Matt

Post by Matt »

hot friggin damn that is (g)zdoom
kodi

Post by kodi »

Captain J wrote:...well, except this demo has a out of unknown textures and really laggy as heck. just like a showing the truth about my computer is sucks and poor. :(
I'm not really caring about performance at all with this (which isn't very smart, but loads of fun!) The new water eats ram for breakfast, and loading times are already awful. It's 39 600x600 transparent png's that change every 2 tics :P

I had an idea of making two versions of the mod, a very retro looking low-res version and an as-pretty-as-possible hi-res one. If I ever do the former it'll be after the release of the latter though, so about ~50 years give or take?
Xaser wrote:The shearing looks to be just compression artifacts from the .gif conversion -- the lines are too uniform and horizontal to actually be part of the texture in game.

At any rate, this looks like some cool stuff! Not sold on the name, though -- it sounds weird.
Yeah, it's just the gif. The name's just a working title, but it does hint at the theme of exploration and is weird enough to be memorable.
ThomsonI wrote:That gif nearly made me do a spit-take, resulting in me choking on my vodka tonic going down the wrong pipe. I'm not joking, awesome work!

Oh man, sorry. Spilling is a terrible way to abuse good alcohol. But thanks ^_^
SlapTheFish wrote:Screenshot 2, Last Crusade much? :D Looks AWESOME with a capital EWSMEOA!
Not entirely sure what scene you're referring to. I think water pools inside caves are damn cool (and eerie, as per The Descent) overall.

I'll try to get my head around my own code today. If I ever manage to not suck at coding I can start pushing for a proof-of-concept release.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

kodi wrote:I had an idea of making two versions of the mod, a very retro looking low-res version and an as-pretty-as-possible hi-res one.
now that's the good idea.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Spoiler:
The examining script is now based on an invisible actor one has to look directly at. The looking glass only appears when the correct interaction mode is selected and you have on object in your FOV. Also made a rough working sketch of the the hud (and a logo concept!).
Captain J

Re: HIC SUNT DRACONES - (WIP)

Post by Captain J »

i wonder there's any plenty of pickupable useful items...:D

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”