3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales [Update: It's getting BRUTAL!]

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Max Dickings

Re: 3xBR-noblend Sprite Upscales [Update 09/21/13]

Post by Max Dickings »

Blox wrote:Maybe it would look better if you didn't botch it up with hqnx afterwards? (Look at how blurry the ground is.)
Oh you mean turn off HQ#X?

Alright!

No upsizer what-so-ever
Spoiler:

And Scaled 4x
Spoiler:

.... Oh! It does look better with just 4X.

doomfiend wrote:Can I please have that hud? :shock:

Its the HUD from Wild Weasal's Accessories to Murder
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36877
You just have to open the pk3 with WinRAR and delete everything but graphics, oldsbargfx, Fontdefs, and Sbarinfo

The visor is an alternative version made by DoomNukem (I think, I can't find his original post)
But here's the one he made:

e/ I just upscaled that one too

Artand Misserys

Post by Artand Misserys »

Max Dickings wrote:So with v19 released, I upsized all the monster sprites and fatality sprites.

Is this a noticeable difference? Worthy of uploading? Etc.

http://imgur.com/JcnZpYU,X7PRh5A,0w9JVTt,AHLP9kO
Spoiler:
wow... did you improve all the fatalities of BD19?? please share your work !
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Yes, I waited until v19 came out to modify them.

Specifically, I altered -everything- in "DECORATION, FATALITY, GORE, MONSTERFATALITY, MONSTERS" and some parts of "PLAYER"
(Also added in the "Brutal Doom Addon" that was buried in the thread, way cooler subtle gory changes)

For instance:

Original Version, upscaled

"Brutal Doom Addon," upscaled

Delicious :twisted:
Artand Misserys

Post by Artand Misserys »

Max Dickings wrote:Yes, I waited until v19 came out to modify them.

Specifically, I altered -everything- in "DECORATION, FATALITY, GORE, MONSTERFATALITY, MONSTERS" and some parts of "PLAYER"
(Also added in the "Brutal Doom Addon" that was buried in the thread, way cooler subtle gory changes)

For instance:

mi god, we really hate those imps!
where i can find the links?.
post your work in the brutal doom facebook dude!
Blox

Post by Blox »

Artand Misserys wrote:mi god, we really hate those imps!
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Artand Misserys wrote:
Max Dickings wrote:Yes, I waited until v19 came out to modify them.

For instance:

mi god, we really hate those imps!
where i can find the links?.
post your work in the brutal doom facebook dude!
Eh I hate Facebook, I deleted my account ages ago. Maybe I'll contact Sgt about them.

Here are the resizes,
http://www.filedropper.com/highres11-9v2
Just have to run it last after Brutal Doom.

Oh, and if you use WildWeaseal's HUD, it'll automatically use the new visor. If you're not running WW's HUD, it won't interfere.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Max Dickings wrote:Original Version, upscaled
It's a Lego Imp!
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

For some weird reason not all BD sprites get replaced by highres version, even if there is one in the archive (chaingunned imp is filtered alright, but all animations of chaingunned zombieman are regular. All filtered sprites are present in the archive). Tried to solve it on my own without luck. Maybe its just my issue, but i would really like some help with that.
Max Dickings

Post by Max Dickings »

Is it the imp that's giving you trouble or the chaingunner?
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Enjay wrote:Simply, because you can't. The textures don't exist as graphics. [...]
you actually can and it's quite easy. you just have to rip the already combined patches aka textures.
which you can easily do with slade. convert'em and put'em into an hires folder like usual, and there you go.

@Max Dickings
you sure you used the xBR-filter? doesn't look so on the screenshots you posted (probably the problem you mentioned) and judging from you sprite example (which indeed looks like xBR), you didn't used the batch script I posted. the blocky head is an issue caused by the sprite touching the border of the image, which leads to a wrong edge detection. you have to enlarge the pictures boundaries to prevent this from happening and afterwards cut if off again.
Last edited by Sp00kyFox on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sp00kyFox wrote:you actually can and it's quite easy. you just have to rip the already combined patches aka textures.
which you can easily do with slade. convert'em and put'em into an hires folder like usual, and there you go.
Wait wat!

Slade can actually combine patch graphics listed in a texture and export them as a single graphic? That could be a very useful feature. Mind telling me how it's done?

[edit] Nevermind, I found it but Slade crashes everytime I do it. [/edit]
Sp00kyFox

Post by Sp00kyFox »

Enjay wrote:Wait wat! Slade can actually combine patch graphics listed in a texture and export them as a single graphic? That could be a very useful feature.
yeah, it sure can :D
slade is just an awesome tool and keeps improving, make sure though you're using the latest version:

http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/slade/
Enjay wrote:Mind telling me how it's done?
yeah, no problem. open your wad you wanna rip from. then you go into the texture editor (Archive -> Texture Editor), mark all the textures you want, right click on them and choose "Export To -> File".
can't get more easy than that :mrgreen:

edit: ok, too late. but maybe it'll help other users as well.
try using the latest version, hopefully it doesn't crash on you.

edit2: btw the reason why I didn't wanna scale the textures is that many pwads are using the original weapons/monsters but new textures.
so vanilla texture upscales would often collide with'em and create an ugly looking visual mix.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I am using the latest dev version. It does do the export but then it crashes afterwards. So, it's not that big a deal. I quickly ran the textures through the filter and it works pretty well actually. The effect is more subtle than how it appears with the sprites IMO.

Yeah, I know that resizing the image probably defeats some of the purpose of showing it. :P

BTW, Slade also crashes with me when I pick a sound font so I can't use it to listen to midis. From memory, the last non-dev version could accept a sound font so I could use that, but then I'd be missing out on other features. It's a minor inconvenience. I think I'm right in saying that Slade uses fluidsynth. ZDoom auto-uses my sound card's built-in sound font when I set fluidsynth as the output. No idea why Slade doesn't. Still, I don't suppose I'm comparing like for like there.
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

So who wants to add this filter to ZDoom?
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

As long as it's optional, I think it's an excellent idea.
(I'd have it on, but I said optional because some may not).

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”