Weapons of Saturn

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Lippeth

Re: [UPDATE Nov 07, 2013] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

Thanks for giving this mod some proper testing, it's always nice to get some real feedback!
I'm moving to Colorado, so I won't be posting any updates for a week or more. Here's what I plan to either change, fix, or leave and why:
I kind of like all the nasty particles and smoke coming from the chainsaw, but agree on the decal, I still plan to add different decals to the saw and melee attacks, or only adding them to berserk attacks.

I've been constantly changing magazine size for the pistol and rifle to find the best balance. Basically I want the player to start with a certain mag size and upgrade when finding backpacks. I own a few guns in real life and have a 9mm with a double stacked magazine that holds 15 rounds and fits flush in the gun, so upgrading the doom pistol from a single stacked 10 round mag to a double stacked 20 didn't seem like that far of a stretch in the Doom universe, but I'm still ultimately undecided. I have experimented with an auto-fire toggle as a secondary attack, which would require a much longer mag to be worth implementing, but ended up scrapping because I didn't feel like editing new sprites with a longer mag at that time. Maybe in the future.

The minigun uses 7.62x51mm NATO rounds, which are as long as shotgun shells. I don't really want to change this, but the most common criticism I get is that my casings are too big. In my opinion, most weapon mods make their casings way too small, so I try to make them relative to the gun their coming out of, and the size of ammo pickups.

As far as reloading the minigun and rocket launcher go, I want the player to feel empowered, not encumbered. By adding short reload times, there's still a window of opportunity for a monster to kill you if you run out of ammo at a critical moment.

I originally wanted the BFG to create a black hole or something like that, but I agree the result looks a bit silly, and I plan to change this. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll get to it all as soon as possible, thanks again for the thorough testing, and I'm always open to more suggestions, and rebuttals to my explanations!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

okay, thanks for understanding. have a good moving!
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Captain J wrote:okay, thanks for understanding. have a good moving!
Best whishes!

As for the mod, I'd personally take out that zombieman rifle, and relase it as it is now :wink:
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Where are the credits? :|
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Where are the credits? :|
Hey, uh, public service announcement: asking this in the thread is fine. Reporting the thread to the moderators should really wait until the situation gets more drastic.
TheMightyHeracross

Post by TheMightyHeracross »

Sorry. I'm a strict person...
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

Now that this mod is a little more developed, I felt i would give you a little feedback.

1.) fists: perfect.
2.) pistol: nearly perfect *, Rifle: nearly perfect*
3) shotgun: perfect, except i'd like a kick instead of iron sights, personally. zoom on a shotgun is like balls on a flamingo imo
4.) super shotgun: perfect
5.) rocket launcher: love the sprites, but it really is overpowered from the classic doom RL, and it doesnt have a secondary. I would like to see a homing missile feature for the secondary.
6.) Plasma Rifle: not a fan of the sprites personally, but once again there is no secondary, and it essentially is the same as the original, except that it fires considerably slower. I would like to see a rail gun secondary on this if possible, and smoother transition sprites when recoiling.
7.) BFG: sprites are decent, and does the job

* my only complaint about these weapons is that they're really loose on first shot. at first, they were ALWAYS 100% accurate, now they are always loose. I would like to be able to have more accurate shots if i fire slowely. you can have your first shot under the fire states, and you can define refire states as well that are more loose.

Keep up the good work, this wad is a keeper in my collection.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

TheMightyHeracross wrote:Where are the credits? :|
Maybe I should label this thread WIP again, meaning it's not officially released yet. I've put a blank credits tab in the pk3 to remind me before I release it as a finished project, plus I've listed virtually every resource I've taken from on the first page. I'm also at a rest stop halfway between California and Colorado, so it's going to be a while before I can do anything about it.

Doomer1, noted and thank you!
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Hey, I rly like this mod. Specially the feeling of blasting the balistic weapons, very good work indeed.

If you allow just one idea, i'd preffer to reload intsead of shooting the remaing shell if I alt-fire the SSg with just one shell on it. :)
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Ravick wrote:If you allow just one idea, i'd preffer to reload intsead of shooting the remaing shell if I alt-fire the SSg with just one shell on it. :)
That's what the Reload key is for.
Lippeth

Re: [UPDATE Nov 15, 2013] Weapons of Saturn

Post by Lippeth »

I haven't had a lot of time lately, but I've spent a few minutes adding secondary attacks to the plasma rifle and rocket launcher.

Plasma rifle now shoots a railgun attack, and the launcher now lobs grenades. Not the most inspired attacks, but they're there now. I'd love to know if anyone has better suggestions. This also goes for the chainsaw, minigun and BFG. I'd like to add a kick that will interrupt reloading and actually push the enemy back while doing minimal damage, but I can't seem to figure it out without using acs, and I'm also completely inexperienced with that sort of thing. Maybe it's time to learn.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

Lippeth wrote:I'd like to add a kick that will interrupt reloading and actually push the enemy back while doing minimal damage
Give the kick a puff with a high ProjectileKickback value.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Lippeth wrote:Plasma rifle now shoots a railgun attack, and the launcher now lobs grenades. Not the most inspired attacks, but they're there now. I'd love to know if anyone has better suggestions.
i hope those attacks are alt-fire also takes lot's of ammo then normal fire. it sure looks irregular for vanilla doom's physic to me, though.
Patriot1776

Post by Patriot1776 »

Added 8+1 reloading to the trenchgun/shotgun on my copy of this, so it's now on my copy functioning more elegantly, actually a bit faster of a weapon since you're not pumping the thing except when shooting it or completely empty it. Very easy since named sub-states are used. Wanting to try and add 10+1 reloading to the pistol, but still gotta think a bit on how that would be done.
Lippeth

Post by Lippeth »

Any chance you could post a link? I'd like to see this, and maybe ask to implement it if it looks as good as it sounds.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”