[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

TheDarkArchon wrote:
NiGHTMARE wrote:I had an idea for E1M3 - how about the area around the top of the lift to the mines is flooded with nukage, which you have to drain via a switch somewhere. That way it could start of looking a bit more like the original :)
I like the sound of that idea.
Second. :)

btw, I played through ze1m2 the other day (couldn't wait :)) and I have two suggestions...
1) Don't have enemies inside a secret (blue door @ beginning)
2) Toss in a few more shotgun shells. The ammo was kind of scarce...

edit: o_O 100th page!
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Page 100!!!
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Lollerskates, this is the most impressing thread ever. DW forums projects are nothing compared to our KDIZD :D
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Page 100. WOOT!!!!!111eleven
cyber-menace

Post by cyber-menace »

Nmn wrote:Lollerskates, this is the most impressing thread ever. DW forums projects are nothing compared to our KDIZD :D
/me points at the old Community Chest 1 thread

Now your goal is to top that. I believe it broke the 170 pages mark. TUD should know, he started the thread in the first place. Oh yes... those were 170 pages of 30 POSTS PER PAGE!... still this beats the hell out of most of the projects there.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

But we are only doing 9 maps. And AFAIK the Community Chest project was 32. And for 9 maps to have 340 pages worth would be overkill

I'd say we are beating the Community Chest project postwise since 100*(32/9)=355.55556 pages: if this were a 32 map project we would have over 350 pages.
cyber-menace

Post by cyber-menace »

TheDarkArchon wrote:I'd say we are beating the Community Chest project postwise since 100*(32/9)=355.55556 pages: if this were a 32 map project we would have over 350 pages.
I doubt the accuracy of that, but it really doesn't matter to me.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Can I put in a suggestion for maps e1m3 and e1m8 (and any other maps that use starry backgrounds)? In ze1m8 I looked and don't remember noticing the Phobos mountains. In ze1m3 you can make out their silouhette, but obviously can't see them because it's pitch black (which is good, how it should be done in ze1m8 too, IMO). But for both, I also think it looks out of place to see no clouds. One thing I'd like to suggest for any map that uses the starry sky in Ep1, is to put a layer of translucent clouds in the skybox. It should be easy and good looking using the stacked sector things with a translucency ceiling.

And also a more general suggestion, I really don't prefer how the clouds look when warping. It almost looks like you're under water. The texture becomes too pixelated for it to be effective, and if you try to unpixelate/scale it, the texture/warping pattern becomes too noticeable. A smooth-scrolling cloud texture ala z1m9 would do nicely, IMO.

One final thing, the outside area in ze1m2 also looks out of place. As I thought I read someone say, it looks like you're in the (ant)arctic.Making it a darker/rocky gray like the mountains are would go a huge way.

Though this is all IMHO. Feel free to ignore, flame, etc.. it's just some things I've noticed and thought would be worth-while to point out. Keep up the good work, regardless.
Risen

Post by Risen »

I agree. Cloud warping is weird.

I will need finalized skyboxes by next week for use in the intermap.
Csonicgo

Post by Csonicgo »

phobos is cloudy- technological advances, my friends. remember , this is PHOBOS, not mars, maybe UAC had a scientific breakthrough on influencing weather and creating an atmosphere for the previously uninhabitable moon.

and making the outside a dark grey in e1m2 would be fantastic.
Chris

Post by Chris »

phobos is cloudy- technological advances, my friends. remember , this is PHOBOS, not mars, maybe UAC had a scientific breakthrough on influencing weather and creating an atmosphere for the previously uninhabitable moon.
Technological advances aside, it just looks dumb IMO. You expect Phobos to be cloudy, or at least very very hazy (this from an artistic point of view), given existing maps (the original E1 and other ZE1 maps). Besides, adding a translucent cloud scrolling underneath the stars would be a sweet "show off this ZDoom effect" .. effect.
NiGHTMARE

Post by NiGHTMARE »

Re: the clouds - even if someone were able to terraform Phobos, it has such low gravity that the newly created atmosphere would just float off into space :P. The UAC would need to generate artificial gravity as well, which judging by the player's normal movement in the base, they have done.

Anyway, we definitely need to universalize the skyboxes in the different levels (by this I only mean the positions and sizes of the linedefs in the skybox, as obviously a couple of levels are using different light levels).

Re: the rock - read a few pages back. I already said that I've created a bunch of new rock textures for everyone to use in their outside areas.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

I also agree with Chris, so here is the emperor's will ;) : Scake up the clouds in E1M2 (2x) and make it a bit darker (the skybox sector) so it looks grey and not white. For E1M8: I won't do this because for E1M8 I need a clear black sky with stars but someone could try this translucent clouds for E1M3, no doubt :)
Vader

Post by Vader »

I´ve already tried to build as skybox with a translucent scrolling cloud layer, but I didn´t succeed :(
There was nothing wrong with my skybox AFAIK, but Zdoom kept crashing!
Maybe you have more luck than me...
Chris

Post by Chris »

For E1M8: I won't do this because for E1M8 I need a clear black sky with stars
Any particular reason? Just curious.

Return to “Levels”