[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
marcosc99

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Beta #5, now with Raven & Strife!

Post by marcosc99 »

can someone tell me why it doesn't work or how do i install it?
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just drag and drop the file onto zdoom.exe and start the game. Make sure you have a recent version of ZDoom, as well. The latest ZDoom release will do fine, I believe.
Project Shadowcat
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Project Shadowcat »

KingShinra wrote:
PermaNoob wrote:
Project Dark Fox wrote:I'm going to stab each and every one of you people for getting my hopes up about an update on the project when it's just a couple of impatient bozos bumping the thread.
Stop posting and start lurking

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

On the bright side, I get to play a Xaser project. This should be sweet.

EDIT: Not on the backup thread. Would love to try it out.

Oh great. I'm becoming a meme.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Beta #5b, now with Raven & Strife!

Post by Xaser »

Oh, huh, beta5 was hosted on DRDTeam? I must've had to upload it during that short gap when I didn't have access to my site. I'll rectify that here in a second.

[EDIT] Reuploaded as Beta #5a, which is basically the same as Beta #5 with the addition of "norandomplayerclasses" to the GAMEINFO def so the game won't get confused about Normal vs. Automatic any more. ;)

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, I might re-add the choice to the New Game menu, for ease of use, since the entire reason I buried it in Player Setup to begin with was mainly because I hated that "Random" was a valid choice on the selection screen. D:

[DOUBLE-EDIT] Re-reuploaded as Beta #5b, which now includes a selection for Normal/Automatic from the main menu. Finally. :P
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

can you by any chance add a passive ability or special perk to let the player collect distant bloodmoney??
TheUnbeholden

Post by TheUnbeholden »

I feel that the telekinetic blast is really weak, I mean even for its blood cost. I think you could ask the creator of Brutal Doom to lend you the knock down animations for the zombies/imps. So that the blast could knock the weaker enemies on their asses. I think that would actually make using it worthwhile rather than giving it a damage boost (which would only make it no different than the other abilities). Can't think of any other way to improve this mod, it's really interesting take. Although the bounce sound of tokens sound rather flimsy, given how badass everything else looks and sounds
Kate
... in rememberance ...

Post by Kate »

TheUnbeholden wrote:I feel that the telekinetic blast is really weak, I mean even for its blood cost. I think you could ask the creator of Brutal Doom to lend you the knock down animations for the zombies/imps. So that the blast could knock the weaker enemies on their asses.
A. Uhh no. No Brutal Doom. No. NO. No. No? No. Good.
B. I think it's fine as it is. It's not meant to be a damaging attack, it's meant to sweep enemies away from you so you can get some elbow room without zombies constantly breathing down your neck, which is especially effective when combined with the shotgun. It will also stun enemies, making them walk in place while they're moving, which makes the shotgun more effective as long as you keep shooting them since the high knockback on enemies keeps the stun effect going.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

Kate wrote:
TheUnbeholden wrote:I feel that the telekinetic blast is really weak, I mean even for its blood cost. I think you could ask the creator of Brutal Doom to lend you the knock down animations for the zombies/imps. So that the blast could knock the weaker enemies on their asses.
A. Uhh no. No Brutal Doom. No. NO. No. No? No. Good.
Not a fan of Brutal Doom?

Anyways, so far my only problem I have with Psychic is that it seems... a little too easy. I mean, after a couple maps I found myself to be very well kitted out with weapons and psychic abilities, and that was with Beta 5a. That said, it is LOTS of fun.
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Yutrzenika wrote:Not a fan of Brutal Doom?
Is this a problem?
Yutrzenika wrote:Anyways, so far my only problem I have with Psychic is that it seems... a little too easy. I mean, after a couple maps I found myself to be very well kitted out with weapons and psychic abilities, and that was with Beta 5a. That said, it is LOTS of fun.
With Doom's vanilla mapset, it is undoubtedly easy. However I do find it works with things like Memento Mori II (in fact coop in general, due to the distribution of supplies) or Back to Saturn X. Or this one time in TNT after drinking all the known coffee in the universe.
Yutrzenika

Post by Yutrzenika »

edward850 wrote:
Yutrzenika wrote:Not a fan of Brutal Doom?
Is this a problem?
Yutrzenika wrote:Anyways, so far my only problem I have with Psychic is that it seems... a little too easy. I mean, after a couple maps I found myself to be very well kitted out with weapons and psychic abilities, and that was with Beta 5a. That said, it is LOTS of fun.
With Doom's vanilla mapset, it is undoubtedly easy. However I do find it works with things like Memento Mori II (in fact coop in general, due to the distribution of supplies) or Back to Saturn X. Or this one time in TNT after drinking all the known coffee in the universe.
It's not a problem at all, just curious about the reaction.

And I actually do have Back to Saturn X, I'll have to give it a try with Psych, thanks for the recommendation.
Ed the Bat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ed the Bat »

After putting it off for goodness-knows-how-long, I'm finally getting around to trying this out. Having a project of my own that works in multiple IWADs*, I felt it would behoove me to look into one of the other rare examples. Plus, I generally enjoy some of Xaser's other works.

Right away, the first thing I spotted is that the player's walking animation stutters. Stuff like that tends to stick out at me. Now, instead of this:

Code: Select all

See:
		PGUY ABCDABCD 4 A_JumpIf(waterlevel == 3, "Water")
		Goto Spawn
I think this would work better:

Code: Select all

See:
		PGUY ABCD 4 A_JumpIf(waterlevel == 3, "Water")
		Loop
See states should end with Loop for seamless continuation (and so the fellow in the Player Select box doesn't derp out), since the engine will put a stopped player in his Spawn state automatically (see DoomPlayer for reference), and the four states (ABCD) probably didn't need to be iterated twice in a row like that (ABCDABCD).

I also see that Instant Weapon Switch is being used, when it's really not necessary. The same effect can be acheived by using 0-tic loops of A_Raise or A_Lower.

*Didn't mean to brag with that one, but I will say that I've come up with some pretty interesting tricks and fiddles over the years (including a solution to that too-short-in-Hexen issue I mentioned so long ago!), and would be more than happy to pitch in anything I have that might be useful. :)
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I know it wouldn't cause any problems in this case, but 0-tic loops give me the willies nonetheless. Plus the way it is now works, so it really doesn't need to be changed.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

Vectec was shut down, please reupload this mod. Im sooooo want to try it!
edward850

Post by edward850 »

Funky Gnoll

Post by Funky Gnoll »

TheUnbeholden wrote:I feel that the telekinetic blast is really weak, I mean even for its blood cost. I think you could ask the creator of Brutal Doom to lend you the knock down animations for the zombies/imps. So that the blast could knock the weaker enemies on their asses. I think that would actually make using it worthwhile rather than giving it a damage boost (which would only make it no different than the other abilities). Can't think of any other way to improve this mod, it's really interesting take. Although the bounce sound of tokens sound rather flimsy, given how badass everything else looks and sounds
It's fine the way it is, really. Try using it in tight spaces and/or against larger monsters--if you trap a monster against a wall it can easily kill them in 2 or 3 blasts, not to mention its stunlocking ability. It's a remarkably cheap and efficient killer for something meant to deflect projectiles and shove away enemies.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”