Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem): on Github

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Accessories to Murder (ww-doomnukem)

Post by Matt »

This looks interesting...

- Bug: Chaingun doesn't alert monsters
+ I like the rifle effect
- Might want to hide the user's crosshair when sights mode is on
- Switching between pistols makes it look like the player has 2 left hands
- Maybe make the BFG particles noclip or something to get rid of that silly middle column when it literally goes balls to the wall?
- Edges of hud are getting cut off (1280x800 windowed)
- Any way to make the SSG shoot both shots at once?
+ Fuck yeah hammer
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Vaecrius wrote:This looks interesting...

- Bug: Chaingun doesn't alert monsters
Oops. Should be fixed now.
- Might want to hide the user's crosshair when sights mode is on
I'll need to create a blank graphic for that to use, since you can't outright disable the crosshair (because Graf Zahl said so). ...And done. The AR and shotgun should not have crosshairs in the way now. Also, I just altered the AR to not recoil as much if firing from the hip, since it has a 2,2 spread when hip-fired compared to the 1,1 it has when zoomed.
- Switching between pistols makes it look like the player has 2 left hands
The intention was to convey that the pistol and revolver are on opposite sides in different holsters; I suppose the animation looks too fast and ruins it...I did just alter the animations a bit though.
- Maybe make the BFG particles noclip or something to get rid of that silly middle column when it literally goes balls to the wall?
Pillowblaster has graciously fixed up the BFG effect. I think you'll like it quite a lot.
- Edges of hud are getting cut off (1280x800 windowed)
DoomNukem is in the process of doing a new alternative visor HUD graphic for those running non-16:9 resolutions.
- Any way to make the SSG shoot both shots at once?
Just hold down the trigger; the two blasts fire off quickly enough that you should barely need a double blast option. [edit] I actually just went in and added some A_Refire pointers to the sawed-off so that holding Fire now lets the two blasts off a little faster. This should remove any need for an altfire.

[edit again] I also just changed the Chaingun; instead of firing 3 pellets per shot, I not only enhanced the sound, I also made it fire 1 pellet per shot, and tripled the fire rate and ammo throughput. New max ammo with backpack is 1800 (up from 600), ammo pickups are worth quite a lot more to compensate for that and the fact that BFG cells randomly replace the big boxes.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

wildweasel wrote:It might be one little piece of code, but why should I bother? Why would you do that?
I like fiddling with the controls when I'm not doing anything and I always check for that bug. I don't know why.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The file has been updated today; changes (to the best of my recollection):
  • Changed around some of the sounds on the chaingun.
  • Chaingun's firing sequence altered quite a lot.
  • Chaingun ammo maxes increased from 300/600 to 900/1800 to compensate for altered fire sequence.
  • Draw/holster animations for the pistols are improved.
  • Enemies should be less unfair in damage.
  • BFG effect vastly improved thanks to Pillowblaster.
  • BFG ammo maxes reduced from 30/60 to 10/20, and weapon power drastically increased.
  • Rocket launcher's power increased a bit.
  • Automap now shows acquired weapons and ammo levels.
  • Assault rifle recoil for hipfire reduced by ~60%.
  • Ironsight modes for AR and shotgun no longer show crosshairs.
  • Other miscellaneous tweaks and fixes that I couldn't be arsed to remember.
USSRBear

Post by USSRBear »

As of now, this is basically the Wad that I've always been searching for. I like the rebalanced weapons quite a bit. Hell, it'd be awesome to see this turn into a full outright enhancement wad with more special effects, casings, dropped magazines...da woiks. It'd be like Brutal Doom but without the gimmicks which was the main reason why I butt heads with BD, nothing wrong with Brutal Doom but it's definitely not for everybody. This offers better weapons (that Doom always needed in my opinion) without a drastic overhaul with the enemies. And I really like the additional zombies too. Keep it up, quite a few of us like what you're doing =)

One last thing about the rocket launcher; rather than buff the damage, why not add more ammo to its magazine? Maybe have a 10-15 round mag. Idk, just a suggestion/idea.
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

USSRBear wrote:As of now, this is basically the Wad that I've always been searching for. I like the rebalanced weapons quite a bit. Hell, it'd be awesome to see this turn into a full outright enhancement wad with more special effects, casings, dropped magazines...da woiks.
you could try playing this with beautiful doom
Spoiler:
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

+ New BFG is a thing of unmitigated beauty. I love how the sparks swirl about in the wind.
- Transition from revolver to pistol still looks like you've got 2 left hands - it's not the direction but the complete absence of a time where your hand is out of view and holstering one weapon and drawing out the other, for a very brief moment it almost looks like both guns are visible at once
? I think my revolver just gibbed a shotgunguy

EDIT: I'm not going to spam up this thread with an entire post just to second everything chronoteeth said below, so I'll just say I'm seconding it in this edit.
Last edited by Matt on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Vaecrius wrote:- Transition from revolver to pistol still looks like you've got 2 left hands - it's not the direction but the complete absence of a time where your hand is out of view and holstering one weapon and drawing out the other, for a very brief moment it almost looks like both guns are visible at once
This honestly is something I don't plan to fix; my intention was for both pistols to be very fast to select/deselect.
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

you can still have that and remove the allure of 2 left hands. Just make it have a bit less raise/lower frames, and make the null frame replace the time that you lost from removing those frames of animation. Might make the holstering frames seem a lil more jarring but its better than seeming very jarring from the two left hands
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Oh wow. The weapon animations in this are ridiculously smooth. :trippy:

Gotta say, though, this is certainly the first time I've seen a mod where the HUD works only in widescreen. Oh, what twisted tables we turn. :P
DoomNukem

Post by DoomNukem »

Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:Well, that's odd... I don't remember DoomNukem making this many weapon sprites for his weapon expansion for Brutal Doom.
I did the rocket launcher and bfg specifically for this, the concept for the rocket launcher I sort of had the idea for a while.

yeah I noticed many will find the visor hud impossible to use in 4:3 without stretching so I have been working on this to remedy the situation:

basically i just pushed the stats inside the 4:3 view simple stuff, ill just need a bit of help with the sbarinfo but it shouldn't be too much.
Any feed back would be much appreciated.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

DoomNukem wrote:
Ctrl+Alt+Destroy wrote:Well, that's odd... I don't remember DoomNukem making this many weapon sprites for his weapon expansion for Brutal Doom.
I did the rocket launcher and bfg specifically for this, the concept for the rocket launcher I sort of had the idea for a while.

yeah I noticed many will find the visor hud impossible to use in 4:3 without stretching so I have been working on this to remedy the situation:

basically i just pushed the stats inside the 4:3 view simple stuff, ill just need a bit of help with the sbarinfo but it shouldn't be too much.
That is an amazing HUD you have their sir.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Another minor nitpick - the Sledgehammer makes a meaty crack sound, even when it hits walls/floors - it sounds like you're hitting flesh all the time.
patrik

Post by patrik »

DoomNukem wrote: yeah I noticed many will find the visor hud impossible to use in 4:3 without stretching so I have been working on this to remedy the situation:

Amazing piece of work, I am glad that you scrapped idea of bar or some "metaphorical bullets" for ammo gauge and replaced it with classic digits, much more practical, uncluttered and easier to quickly read. I have question about health meter, how does it look when hp is over 100%?

When it will get finished, will you also release it separately, please? Also, will you make special zandronum compatible version of it (I know that zan doesnt support alpha, so you would have to remove those nice dark tints at border of screen, but I wouldnt mind that)? I would be very grateful for that. Good luck! :D
Vict

Post by Vict »

Awesome mod Wildweasel, you've outdone yourself again.
Some minor stuff like shell casings wouldn't hurt too much, but probably not on the Chaingun... That would get a bit ridiculous.

Also, is it just me or does the shotgun fire slightly below the sights when aiming? The shot lands below where the crosshair would be.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”