GZDooM on Oculus Rift: Download on page 6!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Indecom

Re: Oculus Rift support in GZDooM

Post by Indecom »

Lol yea, if anything, I'd likely have two options, one that moves the gun with your head, up/down, left/right, and tilting, and the other option would just move the gun left and right with your head but keep it aiming forward, and not letting it tilt, since doom has an autoaim thing, would keep it more vanilla feeling i think.
Gez

Post by Gez »

mallo wrote:Do you know how much DECORATE would that need? :)
None. That's something that really couldn't be done outside the engine.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

That's not even something that would be suited to this very well. the weapons are usually just flat sprites, the most you can do is rotate it around one axis before it starts to look like garbage.
mallo

Post by mallo »

Gez wrote:
mallo wrote:Do you know how much DECORATE would that need? :)
None. That's something that really couldn't be done outside the engine.
It was a joke...
Blazko

Post by Blazko »

Graf Zahl wrote:...and here we go. If we need to discuss changes to the gameplay for me it is a dead end. The fast movement is an integral part of the game.
Fast movement is not at all an integral part of Doom. Shooting is an integral part of Doom.
But I think if the movement speed of the player is reduced, the movement speed of the monsters also might have to be reduced.
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Its my personal opinion, that in doom, player speed is trivial, and reliant on player preferences. If changing that is a deal breaker then why is the option already there? I personally wouldnt need to lower the monster speed to match mine, i'd just shoot them more lol. But that's only if i felt like changing my speed, which i tried last night just for the hell of it.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Well try playing with half turbo speed on slaughter maps...
janiform

Post by janiform »

Rift support has been added to Quake with really exciting results: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... the-oculus
mallo

Post by mallo »

Sounds interesting. :)
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Definitely, i'm going to have to start downloading some more quake mods. This is my new favorite way to play quake :P. Now to get doom working... after this week. haha
Nash

Post by Nash »

Wow, just read about this Rift-supported omni directional treadmill. Can't wait for these VR gear to become mass-produced consumer stuff! Looks like I will be able to enjoy full VR games in my lifetime after all... provided I don't get hit by a bus or something soon XD
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

yea that fella is one of the many new control options that have been popping up after the Rift showed up.
mallo

Post by mallo »

NOW LET'S MAKE A BREATHING THINGIES SO THE PLAYER CHARACTER COULD BREATHE AT THE SAME RATE AS YOU - it would be more realistic! :D:D
Indecom

Post by Indecom »

Somebody used a microphone to detect when a player was breathing in or out and was able to reflect it in game by adding a gas masky darth vadery effect. Could also be used to stretch and compress the players chest to simulate pushing and pulling air.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

mallo wrote:NOW LET'S MAKE A BREATHING THINGIES SO THE PLAYER CHARACTER COULD BREATHE AT THE SAME RATE AS YOU - it would be more realistic! :D:D
I find you a little harder to stomach with each post. Cmon dude.

In all seriousness, I see the oculus going hand-in-hand with omni treadmills. Really cool to have something a good deal like the virtual reality we've all seen in the past in tv and books. Maybe it would provide a new weight-lose incentive? Especially for games that have uncapped stamina, like say, Doom, where you could keep running and burning more calories to make doom guy avoid a monster ambush, or you could bunker down behind some cover and try your luck at that.

Return to “General”