Ultimate Western conversion (beta #3)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

Re: Ultimate Western conversion (update 07/02)

Post by CeeJay »

No, it's a custom weapon. The double-barreled shotgun will still be there and serve a purpose. You get the dual-wielded shotgun when you pick it up a second time.
CeeJay

Re: Ultimate Western conversion (update 07/02)

Post by CeeJay »

First public beta: http://www.mediafire.com/?x4uvumumsnl76n1

You will need EDGE 1.36 (3DGE) and you need to load both WADs (in which order should not matter).

Keep in mind that this is far from finished, but I feel it is enough to show off.

Enjoy, any feedback would be appreciated.
Valherran

Re: Ultimate Western conversion (first beta!)

Post by Valherran »

You specified to use 3DGE 1.36, I DL the 1.36D and ran it (hopefuly that is the right one since there is only A-D available), and I get this error:

Couldn't open file .\sv_cheats

Never seen this before, any suggestions to fix this?
Tristan885
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Tristan885 »

I downloaded myself too the 1.36D and it ran just fine for me. Played through the whole thing and I liked it! :D
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Valherran wrote:You specified to use 3DGE 1.36, I DL the 1.36D and ran it (hopefuly that is the right one since there is only A-D available), and I get this error:

1. Where did you download your copy from?
2. Have you tried running your copy of 3DGE without the mod, did it work?
3. Are you using a valid DOOM2 IWAD (Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT, Freedoom)?
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

Raynor's Tale :(
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

ahh, i remember that wad. such a old and rarest trasure. i hope you're still keepin' it.
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

CeeJay wrote:
Valherran wrote:You specified to use 3DGE 1.36, I DL the 1.36D and ran it (hopefuly that is the right one since there is only A-D available), and I get this error:

1. Where did you download your copy from?
2. Have you tried running your copy of 3DGE without the mod, did it work?
3. Are you using a valid DOOM2 IWAD (Doom 2, Plutonia, TNT, Freedoom)?
I DL it off of their main site.

I ran it with normal Doom 2 and it worked, except turning my head caused my FPS to drop to 0.

Yes I am using a valid IWAD.

EDIT: Never mind, I fixed it, one of the files was corrupted. However there is something bizarre going on with this engine, I cannot turn without my frames dropping to 0, makes anything unplayable for me. I might need to wait til you port this to GZDoom... :-/
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Replaced the ugly and badly animating flame sprites with new ones, also adding a smoke effect and greatly improved dynamic lightning. The lamps that are found not lit can be turned on by the player and I will continue to make even more interactive objects (a la Duke3D). The idea is that everything can be interacted with in one way or another, either used or blown up. This increases the fun factor and replay value.
Tristan885
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Tristan885 »

Valherran wrote:However there is something bizarre going on with this engine, I cannot turn without my frames dropping to 0, makes anything unplayable for me.
That's really strange, on my side I have no problems... I wonder what's causing that FPS drop for you...
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Hey very nice mod, but will like to see that the six-shooter was more stable with the aiming, i need it to be close to the bad guys to do serious damage which let them to hurt me more (those with shotgun ;) ) the weapons look good and do the job, but why the hell a eagle in the middle of the town will attack me? lol did i stole her eggs for my breakfast? seriously that enemy need to be gone, many times i end dead by that crap it was very annoying ¬¬

sound are nice and the blood is cool too :)

oh oh what is the use of the badges? didnt notice nothing from they :/
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Mav3rick wrote:Hey very nice mod, but will like to see that the six-shooter was more stable with the aiming, i need it to be close to the bad guys to do serious damage which let them to hurt me more (those with shotgun ;) ) the weapons look good and do the job, but why the hell a eagle in the middle of the town will attack me? lol did i stole her eggs for my breakfast? seriously that enemy need to be gone, many times i end dead by that crap it was very annoying ¬¬

sound are nice and the blood is cool too :)

oh oh what is the use of the badges? didnt notice nothing from they :/
The pistol is meant to serve as a close-mid range weapon, though I might need to tweak it a little. The dual pistols are meant to be even more inaccurate for obvious reasons. The eagle (or hawk) was, along with the stray dog, added to incorporate some variation so the player won't just face human enemies constantly. But, the placement of the eagle is terrible wrong so it might get scrapped altogether. As for the badges, they don't serve much purpose yet, the idea is that they are supposed to be something of a bonus item but I have no idea as of yet what they should/will do.
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

CeeJay wrote: The pistol is meant to serve as a close-mid range weapon, though I might need to tweak it a little. The dual pistols are meant to be even more inaccurate for obvious reasons. The eagle (or hawk) was, along with the stray dog, added to incorporate some variation so the player won't just face human enemies constantly. But, the placement of the eagle is terrible wrong so it might get scrapped altogether. As for the badges, they don't serve much purpose yet, the idea is that they are supposed to be something of a bonus item but I have no idea as of yet what they should/will do.
well i understand that but half of the bullets are lose that is why i told to be a more steady aim.

well you may want to add a eagle or hawk trainer that send it to attack you but will be only 1 or 2 birds that he got since you cant put a person send constant birds at you so they use may be limitated, so after he send the birds he become useless

well maybe if the player have collected 25 badges add 5 points of health and shield permanently to the caracter, since as you say is a bonus ;)

overall is very good mod
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Tristan885 wrote:
Valherran wrote:However there is something bizarre going on with this engine, I cannot turn without my frames dropping to 0, makes anything unplayable for me.
That's really strange, on my side I have no problems... I wonder what's causing that FPS drop for you...
Yeah I can't figure it out either, I will try this on a different PC on wednesday and see if that helps...
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Alright, slightly better accuracy and longer range for the pistol(s). Done. Also the hawk has been scrapped (reverted back to a cactus).

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”