Cyberrunner - 0.11 - No longer in progress

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TerminusEst13

Cyberrunner - 0.11 - No longer in progress

Post by TerminusEst13 »

THIS PROJECT IS NO LONGER BEING WORKED ON. IT IS KEPT HERE FOR POSTERITY AND ARCHIVING PURPOSES.
Thank you to everyone who followed this mod and supported me through development. Sorry it couldn't have ended better.

Download for Zandronum: http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/cyberrunner-0.11.pk3 - 9.95 megs
Download for ZDoom: http://static.**LINK_DISABLED**.org/wads/cyberr ... d-0.11.pk3 - 9.99 megs

It's the age of gratification. We have everything at the tip of our fingers now, thanks to the widespread integration of technology in society. Whenever we want, wherever we want, we can tap into what entertainment we desire.

The philosophers and poets have written long on the subject of the base human urges--violence, watching violence, performing violence, and what it says about us as people. They say the glorification and celebration of wanton brutality reduces us to a primitive state, that we may become nothing more than desensitized sheep.

They probably have a point. But I say there's nothing wrong with enjoying it, when it's confined to strictly entertainment.
And if we confine it to entertainment, why not go balls-out? Make it as awesome as possible?
What do people like to see? Fast action. Smoking guns. Big explosions. Crazy stunts. Badass warriors. Crazy speeds.
The Cyberrunner League was created as a way to provide audiences with all of these in a safe environment.

The concept is simple. Corporations, militaries, and private Mom and Pop shops across the planet construct an android, gynoid, or occasionally a cyborg, and we ship them out to a harsh planet. Once they're there, they trek forth on a track until they reach the finish and hit a switch, surging a power core with raw energy. Whoever makes the pretty lights first wins.
Sounds simple, right?

Oh, I forgot to mention a few details.
First off, they're all moving at speeds that could rival fighter jets, and can leap and weave and wall-run like nobody's business. Second off, we shipped a whole bunch of active fighter drones and weapon systems over on the tracks too, just for larks. Third off, free-firing at the opposition is not only encouraged, but expected.
And don't worry about permanant damage. The moment anybody sustains serious damage, their systems get chronologically rewound, sending them back a bit to the nearest checkpoint--but more importantly, keeping them intact. We're not trying to be the next Running Man, here.

Sound interesting to you? It better be.
The Cyberrunner League is THE place to show your stuff. Show your designs. Show off your sweet moves. Show off your cold gunplay.
But most importantly, it's the place to simply show off how incredible you are. The ability to defy gravity and never touch the floor. The ability to leap straight through waves of enemy fire and come out unscathed. The ability to just go as fast as possible and leave logic and reason behind.

Race the wind.

Hugs and kisses,
Dr. Beatrice Kersey

---------------------------

Cyberrunner started off as a combination of TerminusEst13's Superfast (which you likely haven't heard of) and ijon tichy's Parkmore (which you likely have)--what started off as a joke to see what broke turned out to be surprisingly fun, and thus this mod was born.

Cyberrunner is a post-cyberpunk battle racer with only a few simple goals: Go fast, blow up whatever's in your way, go faster.
Player movement is dramatically enhanced, with large leaps and a running speed that's almost double the normal Doomguy speed. In addition, players have a wide variety of parkour techniques at their disposal to go through the air with enough grace to put any YouTube Freerunner to shame, as well as several axis boosts for an extra kick of speed. And in case that's not enough, there's a button to give the Runners an extra turbo boost, dramatically increasing their already-incredible movement.
Sound crazy? It is. It takes a special kind of person to take the incredible speeds, weave through obstacles at over 200 mph, and still have the cohesion to blast away an enemy in a single shot. Whether you're that person or you'll be left in the dust, though...that's up to you.
Spoiler: Changelog
Spoiler: Videos
Spoiler: Maps
Spoiler: Questions asked often enough that I got tired of answering them.
Spoiler: Credits
LEVELSETS THAT GO WELL WITH THIS
1: RocketJumping Xtreme by Cyber (Requires Skulltag data/files)
2: RJSpace31 by Earthquake
3: Downtown Rocket Jumping by Andyman3k
4: RJCity2e
5: A Slab of Rocket Jumping Levels by DeathArrow (Warning: Ugly as SHIT)
6: Racing Jump
7: Void Jump by <name>
8: Rocket Jumping Warriors by Andyman3k
Last edited by TerminusEst13 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
DoomNukem

Re: [WIP] Cyberrunner: Race the Wind

Post by DoomNukem »

Awesome stuff its really fun to play :D, I love the pace, feels a little bit strange without hud weapons, reminds me of ricochet a bit.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

It'd be wicked if you could find a way to replicate the gravity changing from this nad put it in this mod! http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36575

Also, whats with the creepy poem guy at the end of the lava map?
Marrub

Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch Linux
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Marrub »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:It'd be wicked if you could find a way to replicate the gravity changing from this nad put it in this mod! http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36575
Too bad this is going for zandro compatability :/
oh well
HexaDoken

Post by HexaDoken »

It's actually good since zandro compatbility means multiplayer that doesn't fail miserably. And isn't multiplayer fun.
Plus either way the methods used in Roll are, well, specific, and I doubt they would be compatible with this, zdoom or not.

I could use my viewmodels. Or should I be calling them viewsprites? idk lel
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Sgt. Shivers wrote:Also, whats with the creepy poem guy at the end of the lava map?
There are two secret terminals in every non-DM map, and one secret terminal in every DM map.

He is the most obvious one, basically to let you know they exist.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

It has come to my attention that a lot of people like the font. Really like the font.
For those people, here is the font in an entirely separate .pk3, for use in your skins folder or for stealing for use for your own mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gc2kg ... r-font.pk3

Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

The expanded lore in the secret terminals is really cool! The terminals themselves are pretty well hidden, especially the ones on the rocketjump map and the city map. The controls make the first person platforming easy, but that could also be because of the maps. Maybe for another game mode you could have something like Unreal Tournament's bombing run?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

TerminusEst13 wrote:It has come to my attention that a lot of people like the font. Really like the font.
*ahem*

Other than that, nice idea and interesting approach for a new mod. Though, I feel kinda lost most of the times without any indication where to go :(
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Tormentor667 wrote:*ahem*
Other than that, nice idea and interesting approach for a new mod. Though, I feel kinda lost most of the times without any indication where to go :(
Sure, I'll polish up the font and submit it. :p
And woops! That's pretty much the last thing I want to happen, considering the speed this moves at. Can you give an example or two, please, and I'll see where I can patch them up?
Sgt. Shivers wrote:Maybe for another game mode you could have something like Unreal Tournament's bombing run?
That would be very interesting in the future, and it certainly would make a lot of sense! At the moment, though, I'd really like to polish up the existing deathmatch/race modes and get more maps for them in.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

It appears as if this does not work with GzDOOM? I'm getting an unknown P-Code error and a Divide by 0 error when playing - and I can not double jump, or dodge.
Phml

Post by Phml »

This is the kind of mod I should dislike, because a first-person view lacks physical feedback and isn't conductive to parkour and blah blah blah blah but it's all so deliciously cheesy I can't help but love it. :)

The only thing it's missing is a tone deaf female robotic voice similar to that "megasphere" one congratulating you as you do cool jumps (or berating you as you fail miserably).

Edit: I don't know if it's just something on my end, but standing on the far right edge of sector 22 in CYDM02, looking east I was seeing the rest of the map in what seemed a buggy/HOMy way.
Last edited by Phml on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Mikk- wrote:It appears as if this does not work with GzDOOM? I'm getting an unknown P-Code error and a Divide by 0 error when playing - and I can not double jump, or dodge.
Please update your ZDoom/GZDoom to the most recent version. Cvar functionality is required for Cyberrunner to work.
Phml wrote:The only thing it's missing is a tone deaf female robotic voice similar to that "megasphere" one congratulating you as you do cool jumps (or berating you as you fail miserably).
That's not a bad idea, actually... :p
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

TerminusEst13 wrote:
Mikk- wrote:It appears as if this does not work with GzDOOM? I'm getting an unknown P-Code error and a Divide by 0 error when playing - and I can not double jump, or dodge.
Please update your ZDoom/GZDoom to the most recent version. Cvar functionality is required for Cyberrunner to work.
Ah, Thanks! I knew I must've been doing something wrong!
President People

Post by President People »

Phml wrote:Edit: I don't know if it's just something on my end, but standing on the far right edge of sector 22 in CYDM02, looking east I was seeing the rest of the map in what seemed a buggy/HOMy way.
I get this as well, but I forgot to report it. It doesn't seem to happen on the original ZdoomWars map.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”