[WIP] [GZDooM] Roll v0.2

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
HeXaGoN

[WIP] [GZDooM] Roll v0.2

Post by HeXaGoN »

v0.2 of Roll is out! Check out the download below!
Oh, and here's a screenshot of part of v0.2's map!
Spoiler:
Roll is a mod where you control gravity. You can use this to your advantage to solve the obstacles that come in your way.
To summarize it all up, it'll be a puzzle mod.

News:
This mod is dead, for now, sorry :P

Features:
• The ability to flip gravity
• Double-jumping!
• Turrets!
• Static that almost actually looks like static!
• Psuedo-roll angle
• Small title menu for some customization for Roll.

Recent fixes:
• Halved the current versions file size, now only 13 MB
• Made the end of the demo more obvious that it's the end of the demo

Cool stuff you might've not known:
• The player has the PROP_FROZEN flag when playing this mod.

This mod is GZDooM only!

• Not compatible with ZDooM / Software mode because of: How I implemented the roll angle.
• Not compatible with Zandronum / Skulltag because of: How I implemented the roll angle, predictable performance issues in multiplayer, BulletPuff's use A_SetScale.

If your resolution is below 1024x768:
Currently, the mod only supports resolutions 1024x768 and above (due to the way I implemented the roll angle), but there will be a low resolution version for 640x480 and above setting to change the minimum required resolution (the camera texture resolution)
The mod will still run, but you'll get a warning. Then if you choose to continue playing it, it may look extremely broken.
Please do not post about this unless you have a way I can fix this.

Here's a badly made demo video for you all:

DOWNLOAD
If you would like to try out the gravity for yourself
:
What are you waiting for? Here's the download!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55657765/Roll.pk3
Be warned, you need to use GZDoom 1.8.0 or above.

Criticism:
Please don't be harsh, this is one of my first mods I am sharing on this forum.
Keep it valid, don't say "omg this sucks". Tell me why you think what you think.

Q&A:

If it's been asked before, don't ask it again please.
Spoiler:
Next version:
I can't guarantee I'll make any deadline, so the real answer is: When I get it done.
I'm a busy person, and sometimes I just don't feel like working on the project. I hope you understand.

You can help me speed up dev time by giving me some map layouts and suggestions for parts! Just PM me!
Last edited by HeXaGoN on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 43 times in total.
iVoid

Re: Roll

Post by iVoid »

Really like your mod concept! Best luck to it.
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

iVoid wrote:Really like your mod concept! Best luck to it.
Thanks man, I hope you didn't have any problems trying it out c:
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

This is super-surreal, I really love it. The static, the soft music, the minimalistic design, it's all very trippy. Plus, the gameplay itself seems like a non-combat version of Blast Chamber, and I loved that game on the PSX.
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

TerminusEst13 wrote:This is super-surreal, I really love it. The static, the soft music, the minimalistic design, it's all very trippy. Plus, the gameplay itself seems like a non-combat version of Blast Chamber, and I loved that game on the PSX.
Yeah, the static could be toned down a bit. It's a bit too opaque.

I was thinking of putting in a little more detail into the maps, but now that you mention it, it definitely presents itself better with a minimalistic map.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Pretty neat concept! If I had to guess, this was achieved with a camera texture and a custom camera pointing 90 degrees down/up, and the camera roll is actually achieved by rotating the camera's angle?

BTW, all actors have a roll variable in ZDoom but it doesn't do anything yet. In my custom port, I've managed to hook it up to the OpenGL camera and introduced some ACS commands (SetActorRoll, GetActorRoll) and DECORATE functions (A_SetRoll) so true camera rolling can be achieved (although it does hijack the unused roll variable). :) It won't work with ZDoom because ZDoom renders the 3D world in a different way. The only way it will ever get roll support is if the renderer actually supports it (Polymost?).

BTW you might want to put a disclaimer somewhere in your OP that this is for GZDoom; I ran it in ZDoom the first time I tried it...

EDIT: the static graphics are saved as 32 bit (only the first one is 8 bit). You could probably shave off some of the file size if you convert all of them to 8 bit.
Last edited by Nash on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

Nash wrote:Pretty neat concept! If I had to guess, this was achieved with a camera texture and a custom camera pointing 90 degrees down/up, and the camera roll is actually achieved by rotating the camera's angle?
You guessed right! Also, thanks!
Nash wrote:BTW, all actors have a roll variable in ZDoom but it doesn't do anything yet. In my custom port, I've managed to hook it up to the OpenGL camera and introduced some ACS commands (SetActorRoll, GetActorRoll) and ACS functions (A_SetRoll) so true camera rolling can be achieved (although it does hijack the unsused roll variable). :) It won't work with ZDoom because ZDoom renders the 3D world in a different way. The only way it will ever get roll support is if the renderer actually supports it (Polymost?).
Hmm... I'm interested in your custom port now.
Nash wrote: BTW you might want to put a disclaimer somewhere in your OP that this is for GZDoom; I ran it in ZDoom the first time I tried it...
I'm going to do that, sorry about that.
0bsidian

Post by 0bsidian »

I don't suppose this would pique your interest? I remember playing this and thinking the only thing missing was walking on the ceiling. :P
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

0bsidian wrote:I don't suppose this would pique your interest? I remember playing this and thinking the only thing missing was walking on the ceiling. :P
Interesting, yes.
The ceilings are really low, though (and so are the skies).

That reminds me, if anyone is wondering if there will be outside areas...
I am planning on adding outside areas in the wad eventually, but there will be a lot of room due to how I would have to implement that.
Imagine... free falling into the sky. I'd have to make it kill you of course.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

TerminusEst13 wrote:This is super-surreal, I really love it. The static, the soft music, the minimalistic design, it's all very trippy. Plus, the gameplay itself seems like a non-combat version of Blast Chamber, and I loved that game on the PSX.
It's like Kairo and Portal had some freaky love child that happened to be on the Doom engine. :shock:
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

Vaecrius wrote:It's like Kairo and Portal had some freaky love child that happened to be on the Doom engine. :shock:
Heheh, nice analogy.
I think it matches Portal somewhat.
esselfortium

Re: [WIP] [GZDooM] Roll

Post by esselfortium »

:shock:

Well that just looks cool as hell.
KingShinra

Post by KingShinra »

Can someone say Non-euclidean gravity!

Well done wtg. Excellent work.
Last edited by KingShinra on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
KingShinra

Post by KingShinra »

sawwy about that. =p.
I'm all act first, apologize later.

Well done anyways. It's genius.
HeXaGoN

Post by HeXaGoN »

KingShinra wrote:sawwy about that. =p.
I'm all act first, apologize later.

Well done anyways. It's genius.