Silent Hill Doom

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
zygo

Silent Hill Doom

Post by zygo »

fds.png
fds.png (25.28 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
This is a experimental GzDoom mod. I held back on making this mod because i just never had any solid ideas for a story.
I need YOUR help, i need somebody to come up with map designs, story's, unique monsters and weapons ect. Everybody is welcome to help.
I will be in charge of making whatever ideas you can come up with. As for now i only have music, menus and hud done.
I would love for this to be a community made mod made by the people that love the silent hill genre and the doom franchise.
Here is a video demonstrating what i made in my spare time...

I also have dropbox for file sharing, so give me your email and i will add you to the project.
This mod will be 1 player only and will be focused strongly on story and gameplay.
Here is the project link ... http://db.tt/6j23aaed
Last edited by zygo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nash

Re: Silent Hill Doom

Post by Nash »

Wow the textures look good! Really captures the grit of the Silent Hill world. The noise filter is too much though. Should tone it down a little. That much amount of noise should only occur when the player is in close proximity to evil...
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

oh, this looks impressive. Maybe those dynlights under seats could be a bit darker.
In SH2/O you can see health status in inventory menu. When it's bad, screen turns out to be noisy and flickering. I just thought it's possible to implement it to player's view in the future..via Fadeto or something.
Skunk

Post by Skunk »

The monsters in a Silent Hill game made properly relate directly to a character's reason for being there in the first place. Look at the monster designs for 1-4 to see what I mean. For example, the creatures that attack James are all female based except Pyramid Head. The creatures that attack Henry are based on Walter's childhood fears, like bugs and feral dogs. The things Harry and Heather see in their respective worlds are similar but different and change based on their individual perspectives, whether or not Alessa is or is not in control of the dark world. So that's my suggestion: nail down a story first before designing monsters. Ignore the later American garbage that missed the point. Yahtzee has a video about this actually in his review for Silent Hill Homecoming I do believe.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

... wow, I love you so much right now. I assumed the closest I would get to silent hill was 'unloved' heh
zygo

Post by zygo »

Skunk wrote:The monsters in a Silent Hill game made properly relate directly to a character's reason for being there....
Yes sir, i know exactly what your saying. And thanks for pointing that out, itl help anyone who is new to the silent hill franchise :D
zygo

Post by zygo »

doomfiend wrote:... wow, I love you so much right now. I assumed the closest I would get to silent hill was 'unloved' heh
your welcome to help on the project. just post your thoughts and ideas on this thread :)
Arch

Post by Arch »

Lookin really good. I could help with sounds, and maybe monsters if they are sprite based.
zygo

Post by zygo »

Arch wrote:Lookin really good. I could help with sounds, and maybe monsters if they are sprite based.
All items, monsters and invetory items will be sprite based i think. props and decorations will be 3d :) and thanks, il be sure to message you when we are in need of those things :D
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Wow, I love any good horror themed game, and SH one of the top notch ones! I don't know if I'm able to help in any way, but if I can...

(In any case, I'll only have time to mod again in a few months :( )
hunter64

Post by hunter64 »

It's sort of odd, I recently have been considering working a similar project. Well, a general horror survival, taking inspiration from silent hill. I'm not sure I'll ever actually start but at least it's gotten me to spend some time considering what quality aspects I could take from Silent Hill.

I've got to agree with Skunk though, story is incredibly crucial to the whole game's environment; focus on that foremost. Unfortunately I'm not exactly a great writer, but I imagine if a few of us bounce around some ideas something might come out of it. It might be helpful to try developing the main character's personality and life from day one, as to then use as the basis for the story, monsters and world.

As for that demonstration I'm intrigued, possibly one of the only reasons I took this into consideration. You've definitely given a taste of what you can do, which makes me only hope this project goes somewhere.
zygo

Post by zygo »

hunter64 wrote:I've got to agree with Skunk though, story is incredibly crucial to the whole game's environment; focus on that foremost. Unfortunately I'm not exactly a great writer, but I imagine if a few of us bounce around some ideas something might come out of it....
I would have to agree, character development would have to be crucial. Im not much of a writer either sadly. But i would have to say i would probably prefer the protagonist to be a female, and the environments and monsters to be gruesome. and thankyou, i use blender3d for modelling, i could probably do better the video demonstration was just a experiment to get peoples thoguhts and opinions :) i would be happy to take into consideration any help, and ideas. they will all be taken into account :D
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I could help with some maps... I have 10+ years of mapping experience...
I'll see if I can take some time off from working on that Super Sonic Doom co-op patch I'm working with on Tri-beam, so far we have maps 1-3 finished. scripts are re-done... Well enough of our project. What are the weapons gonna be like? are they Gonna still have that doom setup but really scarce ammo? or is it gonna be random mayray weapons from the silent hill games and the occasional shotgun?

Edit:

I would love to help with this project. but I would need the texture set you are using, and if I do map for this project. you have my permission to edit my map(s) in anyway shape or form you see fit.
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

First of all I think you better think out which locations you want to walk out player through and base your story after. It would be better to have a half of new from scratch locations, and a half of copied locations from silent hill. Which, depends on what part of city you want to include, North(from SH1/O) or South (SH2/3). I'd like to see some places that Silent hill never introduced, like well ..gallery maybe, mine shaft. I'm sure a resort city should have a sportshop somewhere..
As for story I think everyone agrees it should be somewhat SH2 strong. Not necessarily a relationship theme. In fact if main character is a female, love story would not fit at all.
I could as well help with locations later, once I finish my wip project . I kinda enjoy doing horror-related maps and did an eXtravagant mappack for whodunit mod if you wonder.
zygo

Post by zygo »

doomfiend wrote:I would love to help with this project. but I would need the texture set you are using, and if I do map for this project. you have my permission to edit my map(s) in anyway shape or form you see fit.
Zeberpal wrote:First of all I think you better think out which locations you want to walk out player through and base your story after.... I'd like to see some places that Silent hill never introduced, like well .....
Similar locations would be used, like your typical hospital, sewers, metros ect. But a hand full of newones could be introduced aswell like shopping centres, air ports, castles/mansions and manors. anything really so long as it all connects an follows the story. For instance the player would start at home, and would walk to the police station, an then sent with a friend to the metro to take the train to the city. gather supplies from shopping centres ect.

Weapons could be varied and found during game play such as your typical melees. bats, knifes, chainsaws garden tools, an then 9mm, rifles shotguns from police stations, an then perhaps more heavy duty weapons in a gun store or antique place were old colt gatlin guns are kept :S
can anyone sketch on there computers? it would make drafting an discussing ideas more easier :) id also like some character ideas too, looks, clothes, age ect.
The game play style will be similar to doom, but it would have a silent hill make over. AND IT WILL ONLY BE ONE PLAYER (MAKES CODING IN ACS ALOT EASIER)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”