High Quality Animations Project

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Armaetus
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Home
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: High Quality Animations Project

Post by Armaetus »

I like the concept of this project and hope the final versions can be made compatible with your Brutal Doom mod.
Cyberdemon531

Post by Cyberdemon531 »

Holy hell, that is amazing!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Cyberdemon531 wrote:
Captain J wrote:Holy hell, that is amazing!
oh holy hell, you're making doom into a such a 32 bit masterpiece!
gotta put a book mark.
great, i love holy hell syndrome.

and i cannot know what's going on on this thread before...
i hate math, and that's why i'm stupid but with doom. :(
WORrior

Post by WORrior »

I can already see this mod in my autoload list :)
doomquake777

Post by doomquake777 »

I already have the Alpha version in my auto load list :mrgreen:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

I have been looking at all the models in here, I think they could be smoother than what they are now. Though this is a WIP, so maybe they will be, but that is my current observation.
Morcillete

Post by Morcillete »

Amazing, I've always thought this (smoothing the animations) was the best way to improve doom aesthetics without loosing the vanilla feeling but, to be honest, I didn't expected this project to be feasible.
So congrats in the first place!!

Just tried the second alpha and it looks great.
However, imps seem to be toe-walking or something. In fact, I think the new imp walking animation looks worse than vanilla but maybe it is just matter of getting used to it. Apart from that, I loved the rest of the anims.
I think this will be my new standard mod for vanilla dooming...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I've tried it a bit today too and I love the little incidental animations - like the shotgun guy cocking his weapon - but there is something about the walking animations that looks odd. In fact, it almost looks comical. I think it might be that with the extra frames included, it looks like the enemies are doing too many actions in a short space of time. This probably wasn't noticeable when the walking sequence was spread across four fairly long duration "slide show" frames. However, when more information is in the sequence... well, I couldn't help but hear the Benny Hill chase music in my head. :? I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about that.
PaskaTykki

Post by PaskaTykki »

Really like these. Can these use in Brutal Doom when they are ready?
nkalkhof

Post by nkalkhof »

any plans for making brightmaps for the sprites/terrain?
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yes, this looks awesome :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, I think some of the trouble is less the fact that the animations are 'stiff' as discussed earlier (though a valid point), but more the fact that not everything moves the way it ought to. The chaingunner's legs are completely static, when ideally there should be some sort of movement there -- perhaps have his legs spread out so that his feet don't suddenly "snap to" while the gun-raise animation plays. The imp sprites on the other thread have some similar issues, particularly with the way the head remains static between pairs of frames while the arm moves smoothly. It's a bit "uncanny valley," as the contrast between the smoothly animated parts and the jerky parts sorta mucks up the effect. Contrast the Demon walk cycle on the first page, which is near-perfect as everything moves fluidly (though the spine does sorta shift position quickly and the arms kinda 'snap' too far forward on the frame where they're closest to the camera, but still...).

'Course, this could all be chalked down to "this is a work in progress," which is all fine. ;)

I'd definitely suggest re-enabling infighting, though. It's better to have it look odd for now than to change a significant element of Doom's gameplay for a visuals-only mod, especially considering how folks are starting to auto-load this.
kb1

Post by kb1 »

This is awesome! A request: When interpolating, please try to make the action functions occur on the same tic as the original animations do. For example, if "FaceTarget" normally occurs say, 6 tics before "FireMissle", try to add your frames inbetween, so that those actions still occur 6 tics apart, if you know what I mean. (You're probably doing this anyway, but it'll go a long way towards preserving the original feel, while looking better too.)
ibm5155 wrote:Wow so many posts about the movments lol, well I liked the way sargent mark iv did and man, if all the time everyone find a simple problem on it, it´ll be same as all the hd texture packs.
nol speaking that what he didn´t do is perfect, but well, he´s not receiving money, not working for do that, doing all that for free and by hobby. So why all that text file war?
I hope this project get 100% animated frames :s
Hell, I'd pay money to see it get finished...
doomquake777

Post by doomquake777 »

Is There anyway to make this compatible with other enhancer mods Like This one? http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/5 ... or-gzdoom/

Your 1st Alpha version worked with it. But this 2nd version doesn't work.
ItsNatureToDie

Post by ItsNatureToDie »

I could not resist, fixed frames C and F. Adjusted the leg that is pushing the pinky forth and the edited spine to make the animation more fluent. :)
Attachments
Smooth-Demon-movement.gif
Smooth-Demon-movement.gif (10.69 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
SSRGC1.png
SSRGC1.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
SSRGF1.png
SSRGF1.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 1008 times

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”