MIDI soundfont menu mod

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

MIDI soundfont menu mod

Post by Gez »

As you should know, ZDoom has a bunch of lovely [wiki]software synthesizers[/wiki] at our disposal, and most of them use [wiki]soundfonts[/wiki]. You can change what they use, but it's a bit of a bother since you have to mess with environment variables, which is rather annoying when you have installed your soundfonts in "C:\Users\The Great Magoo\Games and stuff...\Doom\Music thingies\soundfonts\sf2\" and you have to type that path every time. Plus the soundfonts themselves have names like "Chromozium A320+b GM rev_c-2.01.sf2" and it might be hard to remember them precisely. I know that feeling.

The idea then is to make some console command aliases to reset them. [wiki]KEYCONF[/wiki] is there just for that. And you know what? A bunch of console commands is great and all, but how about making something better, like putting them in a menu? [wiki]MENUDEF[/wiki] is there just for that.

So what is this mod? It's just that. A wad file with a KEYCONF and a MENUDEFS lumps.

It is not plug-and-play.

You will have to open it in [wiki=SLADE 3]your editor of choice[/wiki] and change the console commands accordingly to how things are set up on your PC, add or remove them as needed, and then reflect these additions and removal in the menu definition. But once you've done that, you can add it to your autoload section and from now on enjoy a simple and fast way to switch between sound fonts from the [wiki]sound options[/wiki] menu.
Attachments
midisoundfonts.zip
(1.38 KiB) Downloaded 1361 times
Last edited by Gez on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexandra

Re: MIDI soundfont menu mod

Post by Alexandra »

Thanks for this. Very handy.

Usage note: I noticed that it couldn't tolerate spaces in soundfont filenames. After renaming all soundfonts such that spaces became underscores it worked as expected.
Gez

Post by Gez »

You probably need to surround file paths with spaces in them with escaped quotation marks (\").

For example, I think this would work:

Code: Select all

alias Fluid_SpaceFont "fluid_patchset \"D:\Soundfonts\this soundfont has spaces in its name.sf2\""
Gez

Post by Gez »

Updated with new fancy features:
1. Now use the new textfield MENUDEF feature to tell you which config you're using currently!
2. Added some entries for WildMIDI.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

Thanks for the update!

However, did you remove the menu that lets you pick a soundfont? Can't find that functionality anymore. The only place to pick a soundfont appears to be a text-entry field:

screenshot

Maybe I'm missing something? (Yep, I edited the proper SF2 paths for my system into the WAD.)

User error. My old menu was .pk3, this was .wad. Had to update the gzdoom.cfg for it to load properly, of course.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”