Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
ObsessedWithMODs

Re: Aliens Doom TC: Special Edition

Post by ObsessedWithMODs »

Tormentor667 wrote:By the way, where is the latest version for download?
wolfman re-upped these for me at the other thread when I reported the links at the beginning being defunct:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p649632

Here's also Foxtrot Uniform which has a somewhat functional Motion Tracker that replaces the Doom's Fist:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50#p650113

The Motion Tracker sprites were taken from the 1996 MMOFPS Aliens game called Aliens Online and so is the Flamethrower in this mod.
Ben2k9 wrote:I meant the hand welder yes. The Predator already has a fully working Plasmacaster.

the torch was taken from the Alien Ship redux, I havnt edited the sprites in anyway. The reason I havnt included a shouldermounted flash light is simple - it requires ACS coding for custom keyboard controls and I dont know how to code ACS.

Well that is definitely good news. That just means it is still a possibility though how difficult is another question. Maybe someone who is quite familar with it will respond and offer to help, well I sure do hope they would or at least offer some advice.

I've seen some of the screenshots you posted earlier in this thread for a playable predator which uses sprite-rips from Atari Jaguars' AvP game, they look great btw! Now only if there are some good city map WADs that are based on Los Angeles or maybe Jungle map WADs, then things are going to become really interesting. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: "....gonna have me some fun.... ....gonna have me some fun........gonna have me some fun........gonna have me some fun.... ....gonna have me some fun...."
Ben2k9 wrote:All the weapons bar the fist and super shotgun (which isnt in doom 1) have alien trilogy sprites so I dont know what you mean when you say replace the stock doom weapons? I already have... As for the super shotgun idea....lots of custom spriting, besides, Alien Resurrection is crap, it was set like 50 years after the original 3 films, and has no place in the arsenal concerning the Aliens film plot.
Maybe I don't have the most recent version of the mod other than the one that had been re-uploaded by wolfman.

Could you please re-upload the most recent revision in case I missed something?

I only seen replacement sprites for the regular Shotgun and not the Super Shotgun. It uses the same sprites from Alien Trilogy, which looks great and approriate, stil better than leaving it as the Doom stock sprite set which almost all subsequent Alien WADs that followed did. 8-)

The Doom Fist IS still present in the wolfman re-upload, which I think should have been replaced by the flashlight. Either way a flashlight is still a better alternative logically IMHO than adding a Marine Combat Knife, etc.,... since I don't see how any human can survive fighting up close against a XenoMorph with such a short ranged edge weapon, and not to mention they never manufactured Any Acid-Resistant Weapons for the USCM as far as I know.

Another thing I wondered is whether or not the Flares' color can be altered to red or similar to the way it looked when Hicks first used it after calling in Ferro to pick them up? etc.,... and also when we saw Ripley using them to help her find the correct route back to the lifts to reach the platform after rescuing Newt.

I meant on whether or not it could be simply edited by editing some configuration files or script in the current wad files? Again sorry for any nitpicking here.

I won't debate about Resurrection being a good or bad Alien film, if you want to debate I'd say I actually got some good laughs out of it than feeling so disappointed with what they decide to do by making AvP movies with both plots set on Modern Day Earth, it was so rushed out so fast like they completely did not care :nope: :nope:

But it was just my way of thinking that - hey, if Doom II supports 2 shotgun types why not have all those stock sprites replaced in an Alien-themed wad with any or all of the Shotguns we've only ever seen in the Alien movies (or games)?

There's always the AvP2 version of their shotgun, and Aliens Online has their version, though none of those are Double Barrelled so I have no idea, but I think it's worth trying to create a new set of Super Shotgun sprites.

And I already said that I am not demanding that a super shotgun replacement be added to the current set of maps but if a Doom II conversion or a Doom II focused new Aliens mod was made wouldn't it be best to have all of those Doom stock sprites completely replaced?

And Resurrection was the only Alien movie that had a double barrelled version of a shotgun so like I said it was just my way of thinking - why not replace all and any leftover original Doom sprites?

I don't recall if AvP movies had any 'double barrelled' shotguns and I didn't see any in Predators or Predator 2 either. Hey maybe you someone can try and sprite or create another shotgun based on the one used by Danny Glover in Predator 2 although that wasn't a "Double Barrell" either.
Ben2k9 wrote:I used a crappy rip of the weapons pickup sprites and im still not happy with them, they will be replaced with either custom sprites or better rips from the games. I personally think Justin Fishers smartgun pickup is perfectly acceptable as well...
I thought the Alien Trilogy rips looked much better compared to lower resolution BMPs for the original revision of the mod but hey Fisher could only work with limitations at the time and source ports don't even exist back then. Reason I mention this is PNG format support is better than the 256 color limit of the BMPs they had back then. Also because higher resolution is supported too. I was wondering what happened to the rest of the weapon and ammo pickup sprite rips from Alien Trilogy.

The only thing I think that should be changed really is the ammunition should not be shared amongst the Pulse Rifle, Smartgun and the Pistol. 3 different ammo or magazine pickups would also be ideal. Also again this is more like nitpicking again but a grenade ammo pickup based on the Bandolier use by Ripley or based on this movie-accurate looking one:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ben2k9 wrote:The idea of this mod was to still use his TC as a base to honor his work, Ive changed a lot of fundemental aspects of it already and to completely go down the route of totally replacing everything detracts from the overall classic nature of the wad. There already is a full Aliens total conversion based on my work, its amazing, brilliant, everything i imagined a doom aliens wad should be, however, this is the one that started it all and my changes still hold true to the original. I still find this damn scary, and its simpleness is what makes it work, im pretty sure the 1999 version of AVP was inspired by justins work...

Oh yeah, definitely. You did much better job than simply making a Source Port compatible revision such as the Quasar one but rather a huge overhaul update that takes advantage of the source ports and various modern-ish technologies found in later FPS games.

Basically it's like saying "if" an Aliens TC had been made for Doom around this era this is what it could potentially have been or turned out. I think it is worthy enough to rival some if not most of the later commercial licensed Alien games from late 90s - mid 2000s. At least that's from my POV.

1999 version of AvP was made and also because they had to shutdown that Alien Quake project from what I heard they were concerned it would mess with the outcome and sales of Rebellion's 1999 game.

"All" subsequent Alien themed mods for various games were inspired in one form or another after Mr. Fisher's work.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

yes I remember Alien quake (and still have it), Good mod, pretty scary too even if it was mostly a re-skin job.

I'll have a look into adding the motion tracker, i toyed with making it part of the HUD but even though i got graphics sorted i just couldnt get it to work, perhaps that version will.

flashlight - I agree, its pointless having a melee weapon in this game save perhaps for a hand welder/plasma cutter, but even then you may as well just reload your save game if you find yourself out of ammo...

Flares - again, a simple case of changing the colour values to red. An oversight carried over from the wad I got them out of.

Concerning ACS - Im still actually also waiting for help on facehugger deaths, I have the graphics and sounds and part of the DECORATE coding done but as of yet, I dont think custom damage types support custom player deaths.

Im still confused with what version of my mod youre playing, the weapons were replaced at the very start of the overhaul so I dont know why the stock doom single barrel shotgun should still be in there. And im using the AT version of the flamethrower as well. I'll re-upload the last version I worked on tomorrow...

3 different types of bullet ammo is confusing, even most FPS's to this day still use 1 or 2 types, granted in real life they would all use different types but in FPS tradition (and to keep maps and inventory as uncluttered and unconfusing as possible) I think ill be sticking to 1 type, have you played Real Guns Advanced? that uses 4 or 5 different types of bullet ammo and I still have no idea which uses which, the great thing about Doom is each ammo type is distinguishable from another, and you know what you are picking up on the fly. Ill try edit the grenades to look more like the film versions in the future though.

The Alien Trilogy rips I must confess I got from a website, which er, took a photo of a tv then was cut out of the photo and uploaded as a sprite... terrible I know, but as it stands there is no way of ripping the weapon sprites from the game (that I know of anyway).

Yes, the predator is great fun to use, and now with class specific items, i can fully implement him in (previously he would pick up marine weapons ammo and health). Im basing the Predator inclusion on the books (most notably "Prey") and the AVP games, set in the Aliens future not in the present day which i agree is a bad idea.
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

The Aliens.wad I uploaded is dated 30-Jul-2011 (CRC: 08666AFE). I'm not seeing any stock Doom weapons.
ObsessedWithMODs

wolfman wrote:The Aliens.wad I uploaded is dated 30-Jul-2011 (CRC: 08666AFE). I'm not seeing any stock Doom weapons.
The Doom 2 Super Shotgun sprites are not in the regular maps, this is normal, and I know that.

What I meant was if the maps were converted for Doom II, or if a similar or an entire new set of maps using the various parts of this mod were use by someone and they wanted to add the Super Shotgun then they would be only able to use the stock Super Shotgun sprites :( that is unless they are really good and could come up with making a new set of sprites on their own otherwise they'd borrow or recycle someone else's custom new sprites for it.

Ultimate Doom and regular Doom will not have any of the Super Shotgun sprites since that game did not have the weapon.

But anyways, ah hah! It appears that the newer 2010 Rebellion AvP game on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC did have a "Double Barrelled" Shotgun for the Colonial Marine after all:

I borrowed this info from AvPGalaxy btw, and here's what they say about it.

Code: Select all

[b]ZX-76 Shotgun[/b]

This shotgun is extremely effective in close-quarters combat but it’s not very useful for long-range targets, however. The secondary fire mode makes it fire with both barrels making it pack quite a punch. It’s a good weapon but the reload times are long and it doesn’t hold many rounds. You need to be sure that if you shoot it at someone, they go down straight away otherwise you’ll be killed before you have a chance to reload. The problem with the Shotgun is that you really shouldn’t be letting Aliens come that close to you in the first place. It’s why I find the Pulse Rifle is the best multi-purpose weapon.
Maybe new sprites based on this gun could be used in place of the Doom II Super Shotgun's sprites, there also the alternative of trying to rip sprites from the Alien Resurrection game from PS1 but judging by what Ben2k9 said it's quite difficult to rip sprites from PS1 games.

I found a sprite here but I doubt it's ripped, and it's not the HUD version, just the item pickup:

And yes I do agree that a Double Barrel Shotgun placed into an Aliens mod based on the second film would Not be so faithful or canon to what we've already seen in James Cameron's film.

And Vriess's gun probably did not exist at least much later when Space Piracy or Mercenaries becames common in the post Alien 3 era which is 200 years later after Ripley had sacrificed herself.

Some fans don't accept the latter 2 Alien films as canon because they have difficulty accepting them, but oh well what's made and released cannot be "unmade".
ObsessedWithMODs

Ben2k9 wrote:flashlight - I agree, its pointless having a melee weapon in this game save perhaps for a hand welder/plasma cutter, but even then you may as well just reload your save game if you find yourself out of ammo...
The only melee weapon that even made sense was the Power Loader, and unless if you want to get creative by following commics or later video games and put in a Combat Synthetic Class or some Combat Cyborg Class (think Terminators), all just to rip into Aliens via melee combat, then go ahead. Fun probably, but might make things too easy.

Even Preds have much trouble beating Aliens in melee combat, so unless the Combat Borgs or Synths were somehow modified to have near or full acid resistance, they'll be destroyed in little to no time trying to beat Xenos at their own game. Although they are not impaired by Fear or Fatigue for being completely Artificial.
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

ObsessedWithMODs wrote:
Ben2k9 wrote:flashlight - I agree, its pointless having a melee weapon in this game save perhaps for a hand welder/plasma cutter, but even then you may as well just reload your save game if you find yourself out of ammo...
The only melee weapon that even made sense was the Power Loader, and unless if you want to get creative by following commics or later video games and put in a Combat Synthetic Class or some Combat Cyborg Class (think Terminators), all just to rip into Aliens via melee combat, then go ahead. Fun probably, but might make things too easy.

Even Preds have much trouble beating Aliens in melee combat, so unless the Combat Borgs or Synths were somehow modified to have near or full acid resistance, they'll be destroyed in little to no time trying to beat Xenos at their own game. Although they are not impaired by Fear or Fatigue for being completely Artificial.
the power loader is in this mod and fully functional, you fight the queen with one at the end.

The way ive sorted the predator melee weapons out is an "honor system", weaker weapons give you more points per kill, so ripping them to pieces with wrist claws will give you maximum points (although, accurate fire with the plasma caster is almost as effective), the best all round weapon he has is actually the staff.
ObsessedWithMODs

Ben2k9 wrote:the power loader is in this mod and fully functional, you fight the queen with one at the end.
Yes, I know. It's a huge improvement over the limitations that Mr. Fisher had to work with. Now the Power Loader attacks actually felt closer to the way it did in the film rather than simply a paintjob over the Doom's Chainsaw attack mechanics.

And the other difference is without Ripley saying "C'MON!" this time when the item is picked up other than the fact you cannot switch to another weapon and you gain like 500% health so that was nicely executed.

One thing I have been wondering though is whther or not if it's possible to add in 2 alternate attacks for the Power Loader such as a Grabbing/Locking attack.

E.G. like how Ripley grabs the Queen with the Loader's arms and also activated the Flame-Torch? before throwing it out down the Airlock.

And also whether or not if it's possible to make a special Air-Lock vaccuum effect that sucks out the Queen; offering the player(s) an alernative or special method of finishing the Queen off.

E.G. throw her down the airlock will be the faster and easier victory method and the standard method is harder by destroying her with other, making it non-linear

I brought this up after seeing something like it in the Konami Arcade Coin-Op Aliens game. I don't know if you ever heard of or played the last part of the game but it had the concepts I just mentioned above.
Ben2k9 wrote:The way ive sorted the predator melee weapons out is an "honor system", weaker weapons give you more points per kill, so ripping them to pieces with wrist claws will give you maximum points (although, accurate fire with the plasma caster is almost as effective), the best all round weapon he has is actually the staff.
I am quite familar with that concept although Rebellion's Jaguar game was the very first that introduced it.

E.G. Their concept for this was this - Earn your more powerful and ranged weapons via "honorable" up close (and riskier) kills without the Optical Camouflage active. Although the player could somewhat cheat that by immediately de-cloaking and starting inflicting melee death blows thus gaining the "honorable" points. Because if they don't they will never earn enough "honorable" points to get those "overpowered and spammable" weapons :mrgreen: :mrgreen:, or they can be penalized and lose them.

Later in their 1999 PC reboot the concept changed to certain more powerful weapons "automatically" de-activates their stealth device, since a Points system was not implemented.

I think a points system would be great if it could be used to like buy inventory items or upgrades, etc.,... a bit more RPG-ish, but why not? Or maybe like a Super Combo like concept, you get speed, strength, or misc attribute bonuses, to help the predator fight through tougher battles, etc.,... Make it actually affect the gameplay, instead of just being some random numbers and a high-score table, although I've seen that in another mod previously. Think it was Action Doom, don't really remember.

One other thing that also made me wonder is if a "Vehicles" system could be implemented somehow, I mean the Loader was close, not exactly.

I asked if it's possible, because I would love the ability to Drive an APC with the Marine, or Fly a Dropship, uhm... actually the latter would work best like a Call of Duty "Air-Strike" type of mechanic. Ok, yea, yea, it's probably overkill, but I don't see why not try it "if" a vehicles system could somehow be implemented.

Also what about the Aliens?

Can they be added as a playable class eventually?

Also, I've seen that it's possible to have Aliens walking on the ceilings but not on the walls, any idea if their wall-scaling ability could be implemented somehow?
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

Im considering adding the little welder as an alt attack for the loader.

ive not added any sort of "buyable" weapons because again that involves coding in ACS and i only know decorate. Ive gone down the deactivate cloak route with sustained plasma fire and using the smart disc, plus, hes still living, multiple aliens can overwhelm him, hes fairly balanced at the moment but it is a LOT more difficult than the marine campaign due to the lack of weapons (only 4).

Alien as a playable character will be added most likely, replicating the AVP alien with tail attacks and bite-o-vision, dont know how to do wall running though, im fairly certain its not possible in the doom engine. And Ill have to create a different set of maps on LV4-26 loaded with scientists civilains and marines (maybe a prequel campaign?) you start at the alien host ship and work your way towards the complex.

As for vehicles....ACS coding again, and 3d models... Ill need help.
ObsessedWithMODs

Ben2k9 wrote:Im considering adding the little welder as an alt attack for the loader.
Don't know if you played or seen this Aliens game before, it did have the secondary attack in this game but it does not play much of a big role other than being something cool to look at:

I could not find a screenshot that shows the secondary attack but I know I have seen it in that Aliens game.

I really would love to see the 'grab / lift' effect implemented if it was somehow possible.

Also if I remember, on the sixth map (E2M6) the player was suppose to find "Newt" but instead they find a Yellow Skull Key, maybe that could be updated with a new sprite or something that represents a "Cocooned" Newt.

Maybe sprite-ripping from the Konami arcade game could make this somehow easier:

Ben2k9 wrote:ive not added any sort of "buyable" weapons because again that involves coding in ACS and i only know decorate. Ive gone down the deactivate cloak route with sustained plasma fire and using the smart disc, plus, hes still living, multiple aliens can overwhelm him, hes fairly balanced at the moment but it is a LOT more difficult than the marine campaign due to the lack of weapons (only 4).
I see. Decorate is easier to learn and understand compared to ACS scripting/coding I presume?

I was hoping maybe somehow all of the Predator 2 version of the Predator's weapons and equipment could be implemented since I thought those were the best version of a "well-equipped" Pred.

If possible maybe these weapons from Predator 2 could be added somehow:
Spoiler:
Since you already have the primary ones implemented - Wrist Blades, Spear/Staff aka "Combi-Stick", "Smart" Disc, and the Shoulder Cannon (Plasma Caster), I only made a "wish" list for future updates.

I think the hardest one to try and implement is the Net Gun.

A Self-Destruct Mode should be probably coded like something like the "Kill All Monsters on the current map" with a big explosion effect. All just for fun and getting payback when the player is losing badly against the hordes :mrgreen: :

Btw, the Predator's netgun have only been in one major Alien game- AvP2, although I've seen in on various console versions of their "Predator 2" game, so it's something I would really hope to see it again if not for the first time in a fan-made mod. Would be great alternative for Predators to combine it with their melee weapons since the enemy is rendered wide open and unable to avoid any attacks, just an alternate gameplay suggestion compared to the more overused Plasma Caster.
Ben2k9 wrote:Alien as a playable character will be added most likely, replicating the AVP alien with tail attacks and bite-o-vision, dont know how to do wall running though, im fairly certain its not possible in the doom engine. And Ill have to create a different set of maps on LV4-26 loaded with scientists civilains and marines (maybe a prequel campaign?) you start at the alien host ship and work your way towards the complex.

Awesome! That is just going to be a lot of fun. Any plans on allowing the player to use different Alien classes or like a Life Cycle mode? E.G. Face Hugger, Warrior, Drone, Queen, and maybe just maybe Praetorian and/or Predalien.

Are you planning to use Alien HUD sprite rips from the AvP jaguar game for them? Or rips from the later PC games? Maybe make completely new ones?

If wall-running is really impossible what about the Cocooning enemies concept from the Jaguar game? Maybe it's redundant if you plan on emulating the PC version of the Inner Jaws-Attack mechanics (recovering health by eating enemies' heads/brains) but then again I always seen the Aliens having it's greatest strength in numbers. Why not implement a cocooning mechanic to spawn a shit load of computer controlled Buddy Aliens that help the player :mrgreen: ? I'm just coming up with ideas that may be even more interesting than how it was originally executed.
Ben2k9 wrote:As for vehicles....ACS coding again, and 3d models... Ill need help.
I did noticed that the Power Loader 3rd Person sprites were the same as the ones I've seen in an older Aliens Patch for Doom. I thought it was fine anyway, could be improved later, and I'll probably find a way to get you the help you need on this.

There are also older sprites available for the Dropship and the APC. You can get them from the dmgfx wad and as well as the aliens22 wad:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index. ... es/aliens/

or here-

http://gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/themes/aliens/
QuickShotGunman

Post by QuickShotGunman »

KONAMI GAME IS TOO COLOURFUL
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

Hate to rain on anyone's parade, but before you start discussing new features, you should probably fix the ones that are broken. The flashlight doesn't work in the slightest. The only thing it illuminates is the flashlight in my hand. My guess would be that the light definitions are borked somehow.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

@Twinkieman93
Are you using ZDoom or Zandronum's software renderer? If yes then use GZDoom or Zandronum's OpenGL renderer.

EDIT: Actually, yeah, it is broken.

EDIT2: I ported the mod into a pk3 and added a GAMEINFO, converted TEXTURE2 to TEXTURES and renamed DOOMDEFS to GLDEFS. Thanks to it now being a pk3, the file is much smaller (WAD = 10MB, PK3 = 6MB) and easier to work on.

Aliens.pk3

-MBF
Virtue

Post by Virtue »

the flashlight is broken due to changes in the engine. And i cant do anything at the moment because i need to reinstall windows :(
Evilfish6666

Post by Evilfish6666 »

Hey anyone got any working links for this, I really wanna try out DrDoctor's alien host ship remix.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”