Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Kaal979

Re: Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Post by Kaal979 »

Oc when it comes to size - why?
P.S.: And also details btw!
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Blox wrote:Image
Again, how is this not a degradation from this:
Well, if you look closely, you will see that one is very blurry, very very blurry.
That's what I did, make it more sharp and add details, like skin imperfections and lighting to areas that were previously pitch black, as well as nice teeth.

That's just my personal view, adding texture, instead of just cleaned up up-scales, which we've done before.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

We also must not forget that certain ones were
already better resoluted than others (minecraft-zombie).
Blox

Post by Blox »

If I look closely, I will see that you did something to the head. What I will also see is that you totally ruined the lighting and added a plastic wrap to it. Resulting in unusable gibberish that I wouldn't poke with a stick.

Also, more progress!:
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Lol, I don't see any plastic-like resemblence in my sprite :lol:
Whereas on yours there is far too much shinyness going on. Not to mention that getting rid of the pitch-black areas has to be done, as it is far too fake to have that in natural world lighting.

You can argue it's unfinished, but I too didn't put alot of work in mine, in fact I made around five to eight minutes, it's not my best effort :P

Meh, suit yourself, I'm sure you can make a great sprite too, so carry on :wink:
Blox

Post by Blox »

All that white stuff looks a suspicious lot like the "Plastic wrap" filter in photoshop, which does this:
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Blox wrote:All that white stuff looks a suspicious lot like the "Plastic wrap" filter in photoshop, which does this:
I'll have to examine that when my monitor stops showing only red :/
It gets its colors back after a bit.

Anywho, I used no filters, I did it all by hand, on Gimp.

Edit: Also, there was no lighting added, so no shine was added. It was the opposite, I added only detail and shading. So plastic shyniness isn't something I can find in my sprite...
Lol, and you seem to forget how easy it is to edit the images, any overly-shined areas can be removed in a few seconds. You look at this like something really difficult.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Mtzfire wrote:Lol, and you seem to forget how easy it is to edit the images, any overly-shined areas can be removed in a few seconds. You look at this like something really difficult.

Code: Select all

<@Bloax>: Do you realize.
<@Bloax>: That the cyberdemon.
<@Bloax>: Has a very complex structure.
<@Bloax>: And that the lighting that it has is very hard to replicate.
The spriteset is way out of my league (while I'm far from good, it still says something), and the only purpose of the image is to see how hard it is to make an upscale from the thing Raven-05 uses look "alright".
But anyways, if it's not really that hard, have a go at it too:
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

Blox wrote: The spriteset is way out of my league (while I'm far from good, it still says something), and the only purpose of the image is to see how hard it is to make an upscale from the thing Raven-05 uses look "alright".
But anyways, if it's not really that hard, have a go at it too:
And that's what I did, lol, I wasn't trying to make an "HD" sprite, just improve on the upscale from Raven-05
I already did give it a go, and in my opinion my result was a very noticeable improvement from the original upscaling.
For example, the teeth in my sprite aren't blurry like the others, and the lighting is no longer "8-bit" where things are either evenly lit or pitch-black.
It's almost hard to appreciate these things anyway, unless they are in motion. What I'll do instead is try finishing some animations, so I can get a monster moving around in-game and then you can see a nice result.

Still, if at some point they start making the big, nice sprites like the Imp they were working on, that will be real great, and I hope they pick up on that again.

Edit: Oh gosh, lol, now that my monitor is working, I can tell you my sprites look nothing like that plastic-wrapped sprite you showed :P
Spoiler:
But hey, I'm not saying I did a great job, after all, I did what I did in under 10 minutes, lol
Last edited by Mtzfire on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iLikeTheUDK

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

No, lighting that's either evenly lit or pitch black is either Cel Shading or 4-bit lighting (as in Commander Keen and several Apogee games, such as the first Duke Nukem).
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

iLikeTheUDK wrote:No, lighting that's either evenly lit or pitch black is either Cel Shading or 4-bit lighting (as in Commander Keen and several Apogee games, such as the first Duke Nukem).
Yeah, I can see you took it quite literally, lol.
What I meant was focused on pitch black shading, which I got rid of in my sprite (well, not entirely) :wink:

Edit: Ah, that's the stuff:
If you can make more that, Morden, would be really awesome :o
The only thing I didn't like was the Imp's mouth looking like a fan is blowing on it. His cheeks should be sinking in slightly, as they do in nature, not going outward like that. Reminds me of that GzdoomBuilder pinky model, that also looks like a fan is blowing on him, lol.
But the overall sprite looks amazing, I hope you can make more of that :|
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

At current time i able post only test version. http://heretics-hexens.ucoz.com/3.zip
Spoiler:
Eliminated error pixel placing on alpha area.
A bit sharper image.
More curved edges.
Blox

Post by Blox »

What exactly is ALCHEMY.exe? (And what do you use it for.)

It's also probably best to use cyan (RGB(0,255,255) and all the fluff) for the alpha background, because white isn't the rarest of colors, while pure eyetearing cyan is very rare outside of vivid pixelart.
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

ALCHEMY.exe is a dos application (converter of images) i use it to convert bmp to raw and use raw to calculate after convert back to bmp. If it not work you can use dosbox. well in future it will work directly with bmp
agree to use cyan.
Blox

Post by Blox »

Well, you might find something you can use here. Though it doesn't support "RAW". (Though PNM is probably the closest you'll come, next to just having raw RGB values by converting to the .rgb format.)
Though ImageMagick (even just convert.exe) is pretty damn big.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”