Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Blox

Re: Doom sprites HD (8x) version v03 released

Post by Blox »

There is no need to explicitly detail the sprites, unless they need it. The most important task is to actually have some degree of clarity and definition.

Which I'm kind of struggling with right there, because the cyberdemon sprites are simply too complex for my limited skills to handle.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

The method i would use:
scale up to 10 time the pixels
unsharpen until before the distortion threshold
save and exit and open again and also the original
sharpen this one most possible and black/white
then make a overlay with 50% transparency
and fade its borders just one point
increase colours only saturation until the look
downscale entire images pixel by half
open again and compare again - finish.
All tasks done in the best graphics program
ever - Microsoft Picture-It!
VILEQ2upd.png
VILEQ2upd.png (171.42 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
VILEQ2.png
VILEQ2.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Last edited by Kaal979 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

That looks like something the graphics card could do in a fraction of a second in GZDoom. You really need to do manual detail work on the sprites, not just a resize-and-filter job.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

Hey - its a monster and not a skin lotion model!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Kaal979 wrote:Hey - its a monster and not a skin lotion model!
It's a really blurry monster. Proper detail work would increase the definition of the sinewy muscles, the bony look to his joints, etc. It's not something that two or three filters can accomplish.
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

Resizing in MS Paint gives you better results lol.
iLikeTheUDK

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Why the hell are we discussing all these methods and not doing any kind of progress?! Did we abandon everything done so far or WHAT?!
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

MS Paint x5:
VILEQ2MSx5.PNG
VILEQ2MSx5.PNG (8.39 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
hfc2x

Post by hfc2x »

iLikeTheUDK wrote:Why the hell are we discussing all these methods and not doing any kind of progress?!
I may be wrong, but I feel like this is kind of an open project. If any artist wants to make a good contribution, then that's what I would call "progress". Wanting the author to make all the progress by himself (having already stated that he doesn't have much time to work on this) seems kinda pointless, because it's unlikely it will happen soon.
iLikeTheUDK

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

wildweasel wrote:That looks like something the graphics card could do in a fraction of a second in GZDoom. You really need to do manual detail work on the sprites, not just a resize-and-filter job.
Kaal979 wrote:MS Paint x5:
VILEQ2MSx5.PNG
And THIS looks like something that the CPU could do in a fraction of a second in the original Doom engine!
Well, here's my most appropriate way to end this sentence:
Spoiler:
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

iLikeTheUDK wrote:Too dark. You should probably use the Cyberdemon as seen on the Doom 2 cover for a more accurate reference...
Besides being too dark... I mean I did say it myself and that's a quick 2 second fix :roll:
Ah yes, the one from the cover would be a nice idea, I will try that.
Still, it's worth mentioning I packed alot of new detail using nothing but the original sprite, and the mouth of a picture of the Cyberdemon mini, but only the mouth.

Anyway, I made it brighter:
Never mind about zooming in in your browser, mine has automatic filtering :roll:
But if you download the image and zoom in in paint, there, that is how it will look like in-game.

Well anywho what I'm showing here is texture. That's how I can help, with texture, not anatomy details like adding muscle that's not there. So if one guy can make the first "cleanup" so a sprite is upscaled clearly, then another guy handpaints a "skin" to that (like the Imp) and then someone adds texture, and another touches up on lighting/shading, then I think this could move along.
It is also worth noting that 8x size seems like aiming too high, none of the 8x sprites so far have any more detail than when you scale them down to 4x, and some 2x. So even working in 8x, scaling them to 4x keeps them good and sometimes it even helps getting rid of some problems that are only visible at higher sizes.

Edit: Oh, and yes I see the idea here was to make them more "realistic" in anatomy and such. My Cyber edits aren't supposed to show any of that, just texture (skin details, etc.) :wink:
I can't paint something like the last Imp here, so I couldn't help with that.

Hm... and I can't help but think the Archvile looks alot like Pumpkinhead:
Spoiler:
iLikeTheUDK

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

Well that's because he didn't look at the original stop-motion model for it. I've seen several.photos and vids showing it (including the one I directed to earlier where Tim Willits makes himself look completely stupid by accidentally calling the Archvile a Revernant).
Mtzfire

Post by Mtzfire »

iLikeTheUDK wrote:Well that's because he didn't look at the original stop-motion model for it. I've seen several.photos and vids showing it (including the one I directed to earlier where Tim Willits makes himself look completely stupid by accidentally calling the Archvile a Revernant).
What is because of the stop-motion model? :lol:
I'm not sure if you're addressing the Pumpkinhead pic... after all, Pumpkinhead was around since before DOOM1.
OR you could be talking about the Cyberdemon, and the guy who made the Cyberdemon model...

But yeah, I saw the video too, Tim Willits is just sad. Doesn't know the name of the monsters in the game he worked on... I couldn't sop laughing at him.
Kaal979

Post by Kaal979 »

Just in case - MS
Picture-it upscaled only:
VILEQ2hrpure.png
VILEQ2hrpure.png (108.38 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Blox

Post by Blox »

Again, how is this not a degradation from this:

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”