Special Operations: Action Tactical mod [Beta 2 Release!]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
lizardcommando

Special Operations: Action Tactical mod [Beta 2 Release!]

Post by lizardcommando »

This is a simple new mod I am working on for ZDoom and here's a first look of it in action:

Spoiler: older videos
I'm trying to combine the fast-paced action of Doom with the weapons and a few gameplay mechanics from Call of Duty 4. I want to focus on having this mod be coop-based. Eventually, I want to have some kind of simple voice-commands a la Counterstrike to be able to communicate with fellow players. I'm not sure how to implement that though. I do have most of the weapons complete. I'm trying to figure out the full weapon list, but here's what I've got so far:
Spoiler:
All of the weapons (except the M16, Laser-Point Rocket Launcher and the Sniper Rifle) have a simple kick attack for their secondary function. I might add a reload function for the weapons if enough people demand it and if I can get some additional sprites (like the MP5K without any hands on them..) There's a few new enemies. The zombiemen replacements are pretty much the same as their Doom counterparts. The Hell-Knight replacement is a Recon Marine and he drops the M16 with M203 Grenade Launcher Attachment when you kill him.

Here's what's new in Beta 2 of this mod:

*New item, hand-grenades! Default Key is 'F' to throw grenade!
*Added new item-pickup sounds for the Laser-Point Rocket launcher.
*The cell and cellpack have been changed to proper graphics.
*Tweaked the spread and strength for the Combat Shotgun.

The biggest feature added in this version would be the hand grenades.

Here's the beta: http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... ops-b2.zip

Big shout out to JoeyTD and Neccronixis for the weapons and hand sprites. I had to modify some of their sprites though like the M16 and some of the fist sprites. The M203 grenade projectile sprite was from my Lizard Squad mod. The sniper rifle sprites and the scope came from Wildweasel and Marty Kirra (which originally came from Red Neck Deer Hunting and Half-Life Opposing Force).Cybermind for the Laser-Guided Rocket Launcher code. Whoever the people involed with the Master Hands Spritesheet are for the grenade throwing sprites. Vaecrius and Greenmarine for helping me fix the the Grenade Throwing coding. BloodyAcid for the original opened Box of Ammo sprite.
Last edited by lizardcommando on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 am, edited 15 times in total.
-Ghost-

Re: Special Operations: Action Tactical mod [IN PROGRESS]

Post by -Ghost- »

Looks cool! +1 vote for reloading
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

In all honesty I would try to keep more consistency regarding whether weapons are all angled or all centered. Outside of that, not bad-looking so far.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

The pistol's side-angled sprites didn't look that great and I couldn't find the side-angled sprites for the Combat Shotgun.

Here's the gameplay video. You'll see a few of the weapons in action and some of the new enemies (they're just simple sprite replacements for now).
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I'll be tracking this.
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

Looks good for a starting mod. I'll be keeping this on my list. :)
TheLightBad96
Location: Jonathan Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.

Post by TheLightBad96 »

Maybe dont remove the AK but put like a bayonet on the end of the rifle to make the use of the AK not so boring

and have the bayonet damage equal to the shotgun but the just as fast as the knife attack
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

I was actually thinking about changing the AK47 to a sniper rifle, specifically the one used in the Greatest Hits version of Wildweasel's Diaz mod. I remember seeing a sprite sheet of that sniper rifle but with no hands on them and now I can't seem to find them. Does anyone know where they are?
TypeSaucy

Post by TypeSaucy »

i don't specifically know what sniper you're talking about, but the no-hands thing gives me a hint. is it in the resources sub-forum?
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Are you going to add anything like stun darts, or flashbangs?
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

As long as there's no "BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL" stuff, I'm cool with it. Weapons are fine, but keep the Cawadoody mechanics as far away from my Doom as possible.

Oh, looks good by the way. Like Weasel said, a little more consistency couldn't hurt, but everything flows rather smoothly regardless.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Zombieguy wrote:Are you going to add anything like stun darts, or flashbangs?
Probably not.
X-CrAzYkOoL-X wrote:i don't specifically know what sniper you're talking about, but the no-hands thing gives me a hint. is it in the resources sub-forum?
Yeah, I think they're in the resources subforum. I've been going through the threads in there for an hour but i haven't found them. All I know is that the sniper rifle is the same one from Wildweasel's greatest hits version Diaz mod except with a scope on them.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Just so you know, Globe made these sprites, just in case you want to use 'em. But, make sure you ask him first.
Spoiler:
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Those are pretty neat. I like the helmet and gasmask.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Interesting, I like the look of it so far and the tactical element you're trying to implement. Globe's sprites look pretty neat too.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”