[HUD] Statusbar Reloaded

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

What features of 1.1 version do you like the most? (select 3)

Pickup-weapons available indicator (small, gold numbers)
18%
Ability to use ZDoom-specific fullscreen HUDs
9%
Improved ammo reserve counters (B:, S:, etc)
10%
Protection counter (seen over health)
7%
Backpack/Berserk indicators
9%
Non-fixed powerup time counters
10%
Total ammo2 counter (or moving weapon icon)
8%
Gametype-specific counters (Frag counter/Level stats counters)
5%
Score counter
8%
Brutal Doom-related enhancements
18%

Total votes: 91

Zaero

Re: [HUD] Q3-style HUD

Post by Zaero »

Blue Shadow wrote:It turned out that the [wiki=classes:MapRevealer]MapRevealer[/wiki] actor, which is the base actor class for the computer area map, doesn't stay in player's inventory after pickup to begin with, thus you can't check for its presence. It instead, and I quote from the source code: "sets a flag on the level".
Spoiler: Code snippet
Yup, I was afraid that was the case. Since there is no command to run the block if some var == value, it seems impossible to have a "Map indicator" shown. :?
printz

Post by printz »

southpark2010 wrote:Working now, thanks. Zaero, is there a plan for a ST compatible version?
Zandronum.
Edward-san

Post by Edward-san »

printz wrote:Zandronum.
not in the 1.0 release, sorry :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

I worked around the map issue in Psychic by replacing the automap with a CustomInventory item that gives both a MapRevealer and a checkable "token" item. I took the 'lazy' route there and used ACS to remove the token on map start (to simulate the map) but you can forego this by making the token a dummy PowerupGiver (say, a PowerDamage with a DamageFactor of 1.0) with a really long duration. With the proper flags, it'll be removed after completing the map/hub/whatever, leaving you all set. ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

Xaser wrote:With the proper flags, it'll be removed after completing the map/hub/whatever, leaving you all set. ;)
Yeah actually it's not going to work with hubs.

Suppose you give yourself an automap item on Guardian of Fire in Hexen. Travel back to Seven Portals, no full automap. Return to Guardian of Fire, full automap.

Powerups aren't going to have such a behavior. Either they'll be active in all levels on the hub, or they'll cease working when you go away and won't come back upon returning.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

Could [wiki]GetLevelInfo[/wiki] be "expanded" in order to be able to retrieve whether the ALLMAP flag is set or not? Or is that out of the function's scope?
Zaero

Post by Zaero »

Xaser wrote:I worked around the map issue in Psychic by replacing the automap with a CustomInventory item that gives both a MapRevealer and a checkable "token" item. I took the 'lazy' route there and used ACS to remove the token on map start (to simulate the map) but you can forego this by making the token a dummy PowerupGiver (say, a PowerDamage with a DamageFactor of 1.0) with a really long duration. With the proper flags, it'll be removed after completing the map/hub/whatever, leaving you all set. ;)
Sounds interesting, but I'm not familiar with ACS/Decorate yet. A code sample would be helpful.
The same method probably can be used for "air" indicator (so the token is given when player is entirely underwater and taken away when he's not).
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Looks very, very interesting; however, is it only for Brutal Doom?

And I also love the time counters for powerups. That's really cool.
Zaero

Post by Zaero »

Lava Grunt wrote:Looks very, very interesting; however, is it only for Brutal Doom?

And I also love the time counters for powerups. That's really cool.
Nope. It's "Brutal Doom Compatible", but will work with vanilla, as well as some other mods. Just the functionality of the HUD is extended in case of Brutal Doom, for ex:
-BD's reloading functions are supported (Ammo2 mentioned in ReadMe)
and in current (unreleased version)
-Weapon indicators shows the BD-specific guns as well (as numbers 8 to 0)
-Backpack indicator supports the BD-altered version

ps. time counters will be improved a little in the new version (their position will not be fixed, they'll move to the top corner if no "more important" powerup is active) :wink:

Edit: I'm thinking about including Mr.Rocket's mugshots in the next release, but I found no e-mail to ask him for permission. Tried New Doom forums, unfortunately PM functionality seems to be paid feature and on the Megasphere site there is no contact data. Maybe some of you can get me in touch with him?
Attachments
Level stats + Frag counter seen together (impossible in the actual gameplay)
Level stats + Frag counter seen together (impossible in the actual gameplay)
Weapon indicators - small, gold numbers (unmodded Doom)
Weapon indicators - small, gold numbers (unmodded Doom)
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

very neat HUD, congrats.

+1
Piter432

Post by Piter432 »

Zaero wrote:Edit: I'm thinking about including Mr.Rocket's mugshots in the next release, but I found no e-mail to ask him for permission. Tried New Doom forums, unfortunately PM functionality seems to be paid feature and on the Megasphere site there is no contact data. Maybe some of you can get me in touch with him?
Probably his e-mail is: mrrocket2001@hotmail.com
Zaero

Post by Zaero »

niculinux wrote:very neat HUD, congrats.

+1
Thanks. The next release will have a lots of new info displayed but still the HUD will be almost the same size.
niculinux

Post by niculinux »

Zaero wrote:
niculinux wrote:very neat HUD, congrats.

+1
Thanks. The next release will have a lots of new info displayed but still the HUD will be almost the same size.
don't mention it! :wub:

lpease, it is possible to have it to be fully compatible with freedoom?
Sorry, forgot to ask before :x :x :x
Zaero

Post by Zaero »

niculinux wrote: lpease, it is possible to have it to be fully compatible with freedoom?
Sorry, forgot to ask before :x :x :x
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't.. I mean as long as IWAD is used with ZDoom's exe.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The only functional difference between Doom 2 and Freedoom, as far as a custom HUD goes, is that the fonts will be different. Since Freedoom's fonts are smaller than Doom 2's, there should not be any alignment or overlap issues at all.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”