Heretic: Masters of Chaos v. 1.2 WIP - See last page.

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Heretic: Masters of Chaos RELEASED!!!

Post by wildweasel »

Caleb26 wrote:Remember that there's a zdoom bug with Firemace weapon. I dunno why but sometimes it just won't appear. Eg. E1M6, E2M2.
That might actually be intended behavior; the Firemace has a strange behavior where it will only appear 50% of the time at each place where it's spawned.
Tapwave
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Tapwave »

wildweasel wrote:
Caleb26 wrote:Remember that there's a zdoom bug with Firemace weapon. I dunno why but sometimes it just won't appear. Eg. E1M6, E2M2.
That might actually be intended behavior; the Firemace has a strange behavior where it will only appear 50% of the time at each place where it's spawned.
According to the Doom wiki, it's roughly 75%. However, ZDOOM code my alter that, i'm unsure. And the chance is shared amongst all the firemace spawners, as only one can be on the map.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heh, yeah. The firemace spawning is super-weird. <_<

Easily fixable in the Z world, though, wince you can define a new pickup for the Firemace directly.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Or just spawn it with ACS, that's what I've done in Chicken's Nightmare :)

BTW, downloading!
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Just finished episodes 2 & 3 (not episode 1 as I played that a few weeks back), incoming wall of text:

Maps: The first episode had a certain rawness to it but was still pretty good. The second and particularly the third episodes I thought were better. Some areas are perhaps a bit bare, but on the whole detail isn't too much or too little...and there's some pretty impressive architecture in some maps.

However, I cannot stress enough the importance of aligning textures...just because the IWAD has misalignments doesn't mean that it's OK to leave them in (after all, the original Doom E1 has many misalignments and even the purists would agree that's one feature that doesn't belong in E1 tribute wads). Trust me, the maps will look a lot better and people will think better of them too if the misalignments are fixed.

Gameplay is long and reasonably hard, I played all maps from scratch and was able to complete most without cheats.

Individual points/issues as follows:
Spoiler: to take up less room
Enemies: Pretty good all-round, mixing in some of Hexen's tougher ones with some altogether new ones. Placement and usage is fine for the most part. The ettin mini-boss could perhaps use a lower pain chance (so the fight doesn't drag as much), the archers perhaps have a bit too much health and the vampires don't seem to fire up or down, only straight ahead (if this is a bug, replace the last 2 with 0 in all entries like these below).

Code: Select all

VAM1 Y 0 Bright A_CustomMissile("BatAttack",Random(8,64),Random(-32,32),Random(20,-20),2,0)
VAM1 F 1 Bright A_CustomMissile("VampireRoundBeam",34,0,0,2)
Weapons: On the whole these were quite good...but shared ammo weapons are always a problem if not balanced right. The jade wand is fine, as it's a ripper that is weaker on single enemies but better on packs of enemies than the crossbow. The frost fang is next to useless because the dragon claw is better in every way (therefore it would also be better if you swapped the 2 weapons round in their slot order), and the hellstaff becomes next to useless because the blood sceptre is better in every way (once you acquire it ofc). The other two weapons are fine, although I think it'd be better if they didn't share a slot with other weapons (as they use their own ammo type). Finally, there's a bug with the skull staff projectile that causes a framerate drop around dead enemies you've killed with it, fix is below:
Spoiler:
I didn't have an issue with the firemace spawners because I was using my all-purpose mod (red key, ammo hud etc.) that includes a 100% spawn chance for the mace, but if others are reporting weird issues then it's best to fix it.

I also discovered that all the new weapons and also the Hexen enemies were missing dynamic lights, so I've created a new version of the GLDEFS and put it here. (I also increased the light level by 0.3 for the frost fang shard, as it was barely visible)

Overall it's a worthy mapset, fix the issues mentioned in the thread and it'll be even more so ;)

Edit: forgot to add that all of Hexen's scenery (gravestones etc.) are non-solid.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Thanks again The ULTIMATE DOOMER.
I'll fix all these issues as fast as possible. Then I'll upload MOC10 to Doomworld.
And about these strange looking trees in E3M2. This level was inspired by the first level in Golden Axe (just look at the trees and the very beginning).

Glad to see my megawad is getting some more attention. It's a shame that there are very few heretic megawads available. I'm not sure is there any other heretic megawad with 9+ levels
Keep them coming!
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

E3M4 also becomes unplayable once you get into the room with the chaos device with the knight archers underneath it, it is right after you open the blue key door. As soon as the pillars trap you, you better "noclip" the rest of the level, because there is no way to escape, and there are even more pillars blocking practically everything. The worst it that it is supposed to be a level where you go to another secret level. So, please either tone this trap way down or preferably remove it or at least tell us what to do. :?

Thanks
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Those pillars seemed to randomly open while firing shots, I don't know what controls them.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Don't worry I'll just deleted these pillars along with the ones where you encounter a bunch of Butchers.
lzvk25

Post by lzvk25 »

Caleb26 wrote:Don't worry I'll just deleted these pillars along with the ones where you encounter a bunch of Butchers.
Thank you, this level will be much better.

Unfortunately, I have another observation :

According to the mapinfo after E3M6, there should be a secret level E3M12, however such secret level does not exist :

Code: Select all

map e3m6 "Bright Sanctuary"
sky1 nskywall 0.0
sky2 newsky 0.1
doublesky
music ep3m6
secretnext e3m12
cluster 3
next e3m7

map e3m12 "The Forsaken Garden"
sky1 newsky2 0.1
music ep3m12
cluster 3
next e3m7
It is not noticeable during game time because the secret exit in E3M6 does not work. If you don't want to include that level, just remove the "secretnext e3m12" and the "map e3m12..." entries from the mapinfo.
Caleb26

Post by Caleb26 »

Yes I Know. I was planning to do another secret level in E3. I'll add it in v 1.1 .
PFL

Post by PFL »

EPIC MAP10. EPIC.
NovaDragon

Post by NovaDragon »

I definitely enjoyed playing this heretic megawad. A great challenge along with awesome
looking and some pretty epic levels. I do agree with most people about what has already
been mention but I will also jump on the bandwagon needing more ammo, health, but
especially armor. I went with nearly the entire second episode without armor and it ended up
being devastating although I did survive out.

Most of the new enemies are enjoyable but the invisible warriors are complete overkill.
They would be fine except most of the times you encounter then in cramped areas and
considering they can one shot you, makes it a wee bit difficult. The Bormereth at the end
of the abyss (episode 2 map 6) was a little unfair in my opinion because you have no place to hide.
If he fires off his charged fireball, you will most likely die. Also the 3 Bormereths at the end of episode
2 before the Minotaur fight has the same issue. I took the ring of invincibility and was able to kill 2
and the 3rd I had to pray and stun lock him before he got the charged shot off.

Other than those things most of it seemed fair and poised a great challenge. Thank you for creating this
gem in my opinion and it would be awesome to see another from you some day.
Average

Post by Average »

This is great stuff! I can't wait to try out the 'fixed' version. There's never enough new Heretic stuff if you ask me. Thank you for this. :)
printz

Post by printz »

HOLY MOLY

New Heretic Megawad!

This is historic.

I will play this!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”