[Project] "Knee-Deep in ZDoom"

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

thats just your oppinion ;)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of course it is. But trashing this project by catering to the GL crowd is just wrong.
GeeDougg
Location: VanCity, British Colonies, Isolated Republic Of Canuckistan

Post by GeeDougg »

Catering to the GL crowd? You've gotta stop being so paranoid man. The onlyreason I want GL is because it'll look good and give the levels a feel that can't be achieved with sector-lighting. Yes I nkow it's fun and challenging to make good-looking maps without the modern eye-candy but it's not like modern eye-candy is actually bad. I like it. And Enjay ikes it too! :wink: So join us or we'll destroy you! :P
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

@Torm - I need to do some more work, but I'll post screenies later ;)
Risen

Post by Risen »

I must agree with Graf. Adding the lights and leaving unknown things everywhere for normal ZDoom users would certainly trash it. I for one have no intention of ever doing this.

Here's some screenshots from E1M7. I have a lot left to do, but remember this is only 2 days worth of work from a blank start and much has gone into gameplay rather than detail.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Risen - Shots look pretty cool :) Nightmap?! :)

@AllPersonsDiscussingAboutThePointLightFeature - No! This won't be implemented. Enough reasons have been said!
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

I have more, but imageshack isnt loading for strange reasons :roll:

EDIT: Here are some more :P

Image Image
Image Image

Im working kinda slow, but since I have tomorrow off, it should speed up :D
Ninja_of_DooM

Post by Ninja_of_DooM »

Nice work Kirby. I wouldn't have thought of the idea you got for screenshot #1. Nice work.:D Good to see you got some new THINGS in.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Looks great. 8-)
Risen

Post by Risen »

Tormentor667 wrote:@Risen - Shots look pretty cool :) Nightmap?! :)
One of the first things I did was globally drop the lighting for the map by 32 units. I did this for a few reasons. First, the map is already well known, so people won't get lost even in the dark. Second, this is the last full map before the final showdown... it needs to be dark and scary! I'm lightening areas back up as I go... when I add lights to that area I will brighten it up. But, the map is very playable as-is.

I'm developing new traps as I go along as well. The red floor in shot 3 is normally dark until you go over it. Then it begins to glow. If you're still on it when it reaches its peak then you will be hurt! Unfortunately there is no defined means-of-death for electorcution... or maybe we can convert something else? That would be good to have. The orange pillars that you see through the window are also a trap, they glow and hum and create a force field. Trying to cross the field results in death! Players get to witness a demon charging through before they ever have to cross it, and I'm noting all traps with that red lighting also in shot 1.

Some of the effects in this level just can't be shown in screenshots. You have to play it to appreciate it.

I was toying with the idea of forcing a pistol start. Any thoughts?
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Man... this is making me feel bad... i just can't detail as well really...

The only complaint that I have with Tormentor is the fact that his detailing far exceeds the skill of mine... it makes me feel crap :D.

Anyway... I just need practice... I'm gonna finish this map, put all projects on hold (well, I've scraqpped almost ll of my projects, except ROTGS2... (NMN: Please not the MY there... I am not scrapping any one elses projects so you have nothing to worry about :))). Then I'm gonna work on making some single maps, just to build up my skill.

So, without further ado, lemme seewhat I can do with my ZDCMP map...

:twisted:
Nmn
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Nmn »

Lexus Alyus wrote:I've scraqpped almost ll of my projects, except ROTGS2... (NMN: Please not the MY there... I am not scrapping any one elses projects so you have nothing to worry about :)))
Were there any besides ROTGS2 and .. our project? :)
Man, it's Friday, hurry up with the motherboard :D
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

As to the problem of 3D lights in normal ZDoom, couldn't you just supply an extra PWAD for those users? Such a PWAD could include a DECORATE section that defines totally invisible nonblocking nonshootable decorations with the same doomednums as the lights. OK, actually using DECORATE for decorations is a bit passé I know, but... :)

Maybe Timmie could create such a PWAD for all the new thing types he introduces and distribute it with ZDoomGL.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

No, because ZdoomGL is'nt completely stable with 3D lights ATM, plus, it would take up time that we don't have... maybe for another comunity project, but not this one. Nice idea anyway though.

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Randy should add the light objects to regular ZDoom but leave them as dummies - just to avoid the exclamation marks.

Return to “Levels”