Rise of the Dead! (still WIP in 2017)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
.+:icytux:+.

Re: Rise of the Dead!

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

are you sure gzdoom can handle model textures with transparency? last time i checked it couldn't. Not sure about full transparency but atleast you can't have a part of a 3D model slightly opaque.
Nash

Post by Nash »

GZDoom can handle 1-bit alpha, so yes (otherwise things like 3-d blood splats would never have been possible). Basically, I just cut out a hole at where I want the internal gore pieces to be visible.
.+:icytux:+.

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

Oh... ofcourse, silly me!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You can fake it too.

The central (sprite) actor spawns two new model actors on top of itself on its first cycle through its spawn state: the fully opaque "techy" bits of the (animated) stasis tubes and the translucent glass (set to be translucent in its decorate). Of course, this means that it isn't much use for putting on a conveyor belt or similar (because the pieces go out of sync) but I can live with that limitation.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Ugh, I don't think I'll ever be able to understand scripting, or modding. Or dealing with mapping/actors/sprites. Seems like some complicated stuff there... But it looks like this project is coming along, looks very satisfactory.
Nash

Re: Rise of the Dead! (suggest domain names)

Post by Nash »

I'm ready to register a domain name for this, anyone got any nice ideas?

www.deadend.com and www.deadendgame.com is taken.

Here's some that I thought of so far:

www.projectdeadend.com
www.deadendapocalypse.com
www.deadendsurvival.com

Any other cool ideas for the domain name?
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Is deadend the name of the game?

www.doomofthedead.com
Nash

Post by Nash »

Yup that's the official new name.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

So, Nash. not to sound eager, and certainly not to rush you. But might I ask when we might have a release date for the first demo? I didn't really know if you had a release date in mind, so I thought I would ask. But, take your time. you can't rush perfection. And I would go with "www.projectdeadend.com".
Nash

Post by Nash »

I was trying to push for a Christmas demo release but I don't think I'd make it now, there's still too much left to do. :(
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

That would have been an awesome Christmas gift. Good luck with the project.
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

Unless you have a mental or written list of specific operations remaining before completion, with a fair estimate on how far ahead release might be, I estimate that you're no less than two weeks away. It is my experience that when the big strokes come together, and you go to wrap it up, there is a 15% addon of irksome quirks and nifty details (in gameplay or appearance) coming up; things you didn't need to consider before the final stages. But I'm a programmer; I never released a map. (Well... There's one with a baron of hell teaching trigonometry in an underdeveloped classroom. I think somebody asked how Sin/Cos could be used to control stuff. It had an ACS dialogue system I'm trying to make obsolete.)
Nash

Re: Rise of the Dead! (3D Programmer Needed)

Post by Nash »

I am looking for someone who has some knowledge in coding Direct3D or OpenGL applications, to help me create an automated tool that converts my 3-d models into 2-d sprites specific for this game's uses. Please get back to me if you can do this. Thanks.

Why do I need an external tool? Can't I just do this myself from 3ds Max? Yes, I can, but I want this tool to be separate and freely available for modders to mod new sprites into my game.
The Zombie Killer

Post by The Zombie Killer »

@Nash
So you want to convert 3d models to sprites? No problem, it's a program called SpriteMe!, you could also use Model2Sprite, they are both sold on The Game Creator's website.
SpriteMe seems the best one, and has a demo

-MBF
Nash

Post by Nash »

I am not looking for commercial software. I want these tools to be free (and possibly open source) so modders can mod my game.

This whole endeavour isn't for me, it's for my users. :P If I didn't care about modding support, I'd just use 3ds Max... it has more than enough of what I need...

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”