DoomStorm (v0.92 March 2017)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zombieguy

Re: [WIP] DoomStorm (New trailer p.1)

Post by Zombieguy »

I really like the bulletstorm style kicking system in this. How was it done?
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

If you mean the technical details: is a custom attack that makes the monsters enter a new pain state where they go "slowmo" thanks to some thrust and A_ScaleVelocity.
CorSair wrote:On video, though, Bouncer secondary shots should be kickable.
Also, what ye think about trying some Bouncerfootball with cybie? :lol:
Yeah, I've been having some troubles making the thing shootable. Still working on that, though.

Football with a cyberdemon? That'd be fun indeed.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Make this work with Raven games and I'll be your personal slave till the end of all existence. :wub:

(On another note -- some weapons could use a couple more frames. Not even new screencaps; Offset() can easily do the trick.)
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Heh, DoomStorm, Hexen edition? Sounds like fun. Though, I dont think it'll happen (not soon at all anyway).

As far as the weapon frames, that's all I have. When I ripped most of the weapons, they were for AEoD, and I didnt want to have big complex animations. And now in Doomstorm, Im not willing to go through all the process of ripping all the weapons again to get more frames. So, they'll have to stay as they are.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Dear lord I can't wait for this! *head explodes*
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Am I the only one thinking this would be a perfect fit with Brutal Doom Lite? It seems like the amped up weapons and Brutal's extra carnage just seem to go well together. Looks terrific so far!
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

I have the sudden urge to get the Bulletstorm demo.... ASAP.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

I'd suggest you to do so. As I always said, is awesome for today's standards on FPS games.
Zombieguy

Post by Zombieguy »

Well, I played it two days ago, and it was awesome. I have no idea why I didn't try it earlier.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I have to admit that this doesn't look half bad! However, I think there's still room for improvement, namely with the weapon animations. I understand how difficult it is to rip weapons from a game like Bulletstorm, but some of the animations seem limp and uninspired compared to their counterparts in Bulletstorm. The assault rifle in particular looks pretty sorry. At the very least I'd like to see a reasonable facsimile given the limitations of sprite rips.

I also want to see you use more power shots in the next trailer. :p
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Snarboo wrote:I have to admit that this doesn't look half bad! However, I think there's still room for improvement, namely with the weapon animations. I understand how difficult it is to rip weapons from a game like Bulletstorm, but some of the animations seem limp and uninspired compared to their counterparts in Bulletstorm. The assault rifle in particular looks pretty sorry. At the very least I'd like to see a reasonable facsimile given the limitations of sprite rips.
Yeah, well, about the animations, like mentioned before, unfortunately it falls under "it wont change":
DBThanatos wrote:As far as the weapon frames, that's all I have. When I ripped most of the weapons, they were for AEoD, and I didnt want to have big complex animations. And now in Doomstorm, Im not willing to go through all the process of ripping all the weapons again to get more frames. So, they'll have to stay as they are.
I'd love to give them full animations (say, like the boneduster, which is the only one with unique reload animation), but basically it'd mean ripping all of them again, and the process is long and tedious. And that's without counting that the mod is pretty much finished already, and hunting for animations would mean taking quite a few steps back. Visuals are rather subjective, and while completely "un-fancy", the animations for the weapons are OKish to me.

Seriously, I'd love to add more sprites, but that'd take too long, and as of right now, is out of the question. I've done a lot of ripping myself, and I know for sure that most of the times, the gain ratio when stuff is ripped for a more "smooth" type of thing, is rather low, if existent at all. Too much time, too little gain.
Snarboo wrote:I also want to see you use more power shots in the next trailer. :p
Well, next "trailer" is more in the vein of several fragments of gameplay through different maps. But yeah, Im trying to create one that reflects some mayhem with the guns :P
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

DBThanatos wrote:Seriously, I'd love to add more sprites, but that'd take too long, and as of right now, is out of the question. I've done a lot of ripping myself, and I know for sure that most of the times, the gain ratio when stuff is ripped for a more "smooth" type of thing, is rather low, if existent at all. Too much time, too little gain.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you rip more frames! What you have is plenty. I was suggesting that you add more flair to the animations by recreating them as closely as possible. For example, the assault rifle in Bulletstorm heats up and shakes around a lot when using its power shot. That could be recreated by touching up the frames in an image editor to simulate the barrel overheating, then using offsets in decorate to create a shaking effect.

In any case, I think using offsets to smooth out the animations would help. The reload on the shotgun in particular is kind of chunky.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Ahh. I see what you mean.

It did cross my mind, but here's the problems I thought about that:
-Last time I checked, using offsets were kind of unreliable in Ready animations, as they were mostly designed for when the weapon "static" playing an animation. Instead, what it already does, though kinda hard to see in a video, the weapon aim shakes in random directions (sorry for those who doesnt use freelook, though, the sake, is extremely small, precisely to not have player looking at the celining in the first 10 tics).
-Also, to represent the heating, I added the smoke (rather than steam) coming out of the weapon barrel and stuff when charged but not fired yet, that applies to all weapons that have a charged mode.
-Creating the frames wouldnt be that hard to do at all, but the problem is the implementation. Adding heating frames to the minigun, would be a total nightmare, and I wouldnt feel that great about showing heating up in other weapons, and not in that one :P

About the reload of the boneduster, that one is kind of interesting that you mention it looks bad. It uses offsets, a lot of them.
Spoiler:
I do realize that probably the screamer could do with some offsets in the fire animation, so might the headhunter, but other than that, I dont see much room of improvement in the other weapons via offsets. But Im all ears. Fresh ideas are always welcome.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

DBThanatos wrote:About the reload of the boneduster, that one is kind of interesting that you mention it looks bad. It uses offsets, a lot of them.
It's entirely possible that the animation simply isn't coming through very well on the video. The biggest issue I've noticed is that it seems kind of slow. Sometimes I find that with animations like reloads, it's better to use fewer frames but have them animate faster so the flaws aren't as readily apparent. Although I completely understand if you're trying to have the timing be as close to Bulletstorm's as possible.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Yeah. Though now you just made me go all paranoid of where I can use offsets to improve the animations, at least a little. :P

Return to “Gameplay Mods”