Wolfen preview

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:How about a compromise on the castle key. On easy and medium skills the key will be in a fixed "open" (no jumping/destroying required) location, hard will be randomized?
I like the randomisation, it's just that it took me a long time to find when it was in that little outhouse. Rather than doing away with randomisation, how about map spots 11-15 being in easier places on easier settings?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just been mucking about in Wolfen with a few cheat codes active.

This isn't really something specific to Wolfen. Maybe it is a sort of bug, or more likely something for people to be aware of.

There are a few Hexen enemies that spawn additional items if you gib them rather than causing a regular death. The Ettins throw their maces, the centaurs throw their shields, and the stalker's heads pop off. The problem is if you gib a translation/colour shifted stalker (like the black ones in Wolfen) the spawned head is a new actor and not subject to the translation. So, when you gib a black stalker, a green head pops off its shoulders. :)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:
randy wrote:Another bug I've found is that I cannot step outside of the tower on MAP04 without dying.
Fixed. That was to fix a previous "bug" where you could jump off the top of the towers and not die.

How about a compromise on the castle key. On easy and medium skills the key will be in a fixed "open" (no jumping/destroying required) location, hard will be randomized?
That was the issue I mentioned earlier. Sorry, Randy, beat you to it. ;)

I knew about the well, but couldn't believe you had to jump from the top of the tower to get into it, especially since there was absolutely no reason for the rocks around the tower base to be killing me. Sure, they'd be hot because of the lava, but in another section of the same level, you're allowed to walk on a much narrower section of the same rocks that is also much thinner!
Enjay wrote:There are a few Hexen enemies that spawn additional items if you gib them rather than causing a regular death. The Ettins throw their maces, the centaurs throw their shields, and the stalker's heads pop off. The problem is if you gib a translation/colour shifted stalker (like the black ones in Wolfen) the spawned head is a new actor and not subject to the translation. So, when you gib a black stalker, a green head pops off its shoulders.
Sounds like the exe needs to be changed to take the translation of these "gib items" from that of the gibbed enemy. Shouldn't break anything.

[EDIT]Unless you're talking about graphics that have been altered in an external program. Then it would be difficult to fix this as, even if you changed the color of the head, it wouldn't match the OLD color when THEIR heads pop off.[/EDIT]
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

If you haven't already, you should probably change the thing that kills you when you jump from the tower to "Actor Hits Floor".
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Won't that trigger when you land from a jump?

Anyhow, she probably already fixed it so the effect turns off after you've killed the .. flying... demon... thingie. That's what I'd do, anyway.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

randy wrote:If you haven't already, you should probably change the thing that kills you when you jump from the tower to "Actor Hits Floor".
HotWax wrote:Won't that trigger when you land from a jump?
It will.
HotWax wrote:...the .. flying... demon... thingie.
It's called a Death Wyvern. Sorry, I Can't help correcting people. :(
Last edited by Xaser on Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

HotWax wrote:[EDIT]Unless you're talking about graphics that have been altered in an external program. Then it would be difficult to fix this as, even if you changed the color of the head, it wouldn't match the OLD color when THEIR heads pop off.[/EDIT]
No, I was just talking about the graphics that have been altered internally by LWMs script and the colour translation ACS function. The main enemy has been translated to look black, but an untranslated green head pops off. Not a big issue in this case as I don't think you are supposed to have any weapon capable of gibbing them at the point where you meet them. It was just something I spotted whilst cheating. :)
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Assorted fixes.

http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/wolfen_p3.cab

Biff, I was in the middle of uploading when I got the email.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

For those of you who seem to be having trouble, here's a demo that plays up to (but does not enter) the fourth level. Three anchors released, mystic weapon aquired, and super weapon assembled. I played on medium difficulty, as the cleric.

http://home.midmaine.com/~lilwhitemo/wolfen_p3_demo.zip
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Here are my comments suggestion and blather after I played "more of it" :)
- the chairs in Ruiny Town could be made pushable (a bit of DEHACKED or DECORATE)
- I was -- as Fighter -- unable to hit the bell. Either I had to jump or use the fly cheat or use a projectile weapon such as Timon's Axe, Impact Hammer (if that is available, dunno) and that 5th weapon.
- Only say: "texture alignments at the clock", the sides of the sectors where the clock is in are unaligned
- for me it was not clear what to do at the grave after I picked up the enchanted shield -> please consider for other players
- why do you use a PLAYPAL and a COLORMAP in your WAD? And even two of each...

So far. Good hub.
Zell

Post by Zell »

i was able to hit the bell and i was a fighter.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

yeah I was able to hit the bell fine as the fighter, with my fists

btw the axe isn't a projectile weapon :P
Biff

Post by Biff »

Haha, me too, I rang the bells successfully as Fighter (with fists) but I really had to hurry.

No wonder I'm having trouble as Fighter, I'm a Hexen idiot:

1. Projectile weapon? What, you can throw the axe? I just kept running up to things and smacking them. That was "real hell" when I tried to fight the red key guardians (which Hirogen hasn't seen or he'd know about the hammer). Can hammer be thrown? (Edit: Nevermind! Now I know. No wonder I was whining about the red key guardians, trying to dodge them while hitting them up close with the hammer. Might actually stand a chance taking cover and tossing hammers....).

2. Grave is OK, you get a message something like "Something is written on the gravestone". I couldn't see anything, but then I "used" on the gravestone and got instructions.

3. When I played I missed the right side path below the long, wide magic bridge and went ahead into a really tough area without benefit. Ugh.
randomlag

Post by randomlag »

That was pretty funny Biff. I could picture you in my mind running around trying to smack everything to death :D Hey, isn't this stuff intuitive - so that's where Hexen screwed up :idea:
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

randomlag wrote:That was pretty funny Biff. I could picture you in my mind running around trying to smack everything to death :D Hey, isn't this stuff intuitive - so that's where Hexen screwed up :idea:
My guess is it screwed up in the part where each class got a whopping 4 weapons, were using their base weapon 90% of the time anyway, and all weapons did piddling damage, requiring dozens of shots to kill the weakest enemies.

I suppose being counter-intuitive didn't help, though.

Return to “General”