WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (final? version)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
User avatar
Tormentor667
Posts: 13462
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:52 am

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by Tormentor667 »

@Gez - Even though a boss going through different forms is possible with DEHACKED
Gez
 
 
Posts: 17656
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by Gez »

Won't you have to sacrifice even more stuff for that? Only way I can see is to abuse item dropping, and making the second form from a clip or something that's dropped.
User avatar
Enjay
 
 
Posts: 26418
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:58 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by Enjay »

True but at least in a Wolf-based mod there is no need for any of the monsters to have their raise states because there is no archvile monster and so that suddenly frees up loads of spare frames to use in the hack.
User avatar
SamVision
Posts: 2424
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Behind You

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by SamVision »

Why not just have the mecha suit. Its more iconic and looks like a more threatening boss.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21455
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by wildweasel »

Gez wrote:Won't you have to sacrifice even more stuff for that? Only way I can see is to abuse item dropping, and making the second form from a clip or something that's dropped.
Well let's see - in Wolfenstein 3D, only three items ever really need to be dropped:
  1. Ammo clips (most guards)
  2. The machine gun (SS Nazi)
  3. Gold keys (Hans and Gretel)
Doom has four monsters that drop items:
  1. Zombieman (clip)
  2. Shotgun guy (shotgun)
  3. Heavy weapon dude (chaingun)
  4. SS Nazi (clip)
The problem is, we need something to turn into the gold key, and despite Doom having four item-dropping monsters, two of those drop the same item. Granted, Wolfenstein did have it where SS will only drop a machine gun if you don't already have one, so if we're willing to sacrifice that feature, we could replace the machine gun with Hitler's unarmored form.
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by CeeJay »

wildweasel wrote:Well let's see - in Wolfenstein 3D, only three items ever really need to be dropped:
  1. Ammo clips (most guards)
  2. The machine gun (SS Nazi)
  3. Gold keys (Hans and Gretel)
Doom has four monsters that drop items:
  1. Zombieman (clip)
  2. Shotgun guy (shotgun)
  3. Heavy weapon dude (chaingun)
  4. SS Nazi (clip)
The problem is, we need something to turn into the gold key, and despite Doom having four item-dropping monsters, two of those drop the same item. Granted, Wolfenstein did have it where SS will only drop a machine gun if you don't already have one, so if we're willing to sacrifice that feature, we could replace the machine gun with Hitler's unarmored form.
And this is the exact reason i am not doing Spear of Destiny, because all but one of the bosses drop a key when killed. This is also why the mutant drops a clip in the original missions but is swapped for the officer instead in the nocturnal missions. The mutant is considerable more frequent in the original missions (the officer doesn't even show up until the third episode) but almost completly absent in the nocturnal missions (one secret level).
zdude
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by zdude »

Why can't you replace the Lost Soul with Hitler and then have the Mecha Hitler armor call the Pain Elemental attack pointer in the death frames?
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by CeeJay »

zdude wrote:Why can't you replace the Lost Soul with Hitler and then have the Mecha Hitler armor call the Pain Elemental attack pointer in the death frames?
Actually I did try something like that and it did not work properly. The lost soul will be spawned transparent in ZDoom.
User avatar
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead
Posts: 21455
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10, 21H1
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by wildweasel »

Not to mention, wouldn't it spawn two (three?) Hitlers?
Gez
 
 
Posts: 17656
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by Gez »

Depends on whether you use [wiki]A_PainAttack[/wiki] or [wiki]A_PainDie[/wiki].

Either way, Hitler would be ejected quickly towards the player. Which might not be desired.
User avatar
NeuralStunner
 
 
Posts: 12298
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:04 pm
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)
Location: capital N, capital S, no space

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by NeuralStunner »

Gez wrote:Either way, Hitler would be ejected quickly towards the player. Which might not be desired.
"Scheisse!"
User avatar
InsanityBringer
Posts: 3357
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: opening the forbidden box

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by InsanityBringer »

You could always make the robot suit look like it explodes, but that would be a bit cheesy, heh.
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by CeeJay »

As far as I am concerned it is fine as it is, it does overall keep the feel of the game somewhat realistic. C'mon, Hitler in a mecha-suit?!? How cartoony and silly isn't that. Really.
User avatar
SamVision
Posts: 2424
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Behind You

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by SamVision »

id purposely made Wolf 3D cartoony to avoid the obvious controversy. Wolf 3D has always been cartoony, its just the personality of the game. Hitler in the mecha suit is iconic in Wolf3D.
CeeJay
Posts: 1452
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 am

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (* new version *)

Post by CeeJay »

SamVision wrote:id purposely made Wolf 3D cartoony to avoid the obvious controversy. Wolf 3D has always been cartoony, its just the personality of the game. Hitler in the mecha suit is iconic in Wolf3D.
And yet, Wolfenstein 3D still did cause a great deal of controversy. It was completly banned for a great many years over in Germany and the SNES port was heavilly censored to remove all Nazi references. Wolfenstein 3D probably ranks among the top most controversial games ever made. I doubt it would have been any more controversal had they chose a more realistic feel.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”