WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (final? version)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain Proof

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update

Post by Captain Proof »

CeeJay wrote:Edit: Arctic Wolf, Astrostein and Rhinegold will probably not see an update either as they would require a more realistic approach and require much more work. By the time Laz got to Arctic Wolf and Rhinegold his DeHacked skills had almost been perfected so i see little point in doing a massive update like this for them.
Understandable,that and I think around the time of those two products he was burnt out on modding period.
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

All right, I got everything working now - all I had to do is put the necessary WADs and Music WAD into ZDL at once and it worked like a charm. Can't wait to try this out!

EDIT: I like this a lot. It's a terrific combination of everything great about the PC and Mac versions (although I would've at least liked to hear a few of the Mac music tracks, but oh well). Very good stuff.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I am finished with the Original Missions, and there are a few things I would like to see improved:

1) It seems when you leave E3M10 (Pacman secret level), it throws you back to E3M2 (should be E3M8). Maybe a problem with MAPINFO.
2) If you are killed by enemies, the message still gives you the name of the Doom enemy (e.g. Chaingunner for Grosse). Maybe this could be improved.
3) This game has a lot of secret areas. Sometimes it's totally insane to keep clicking for pushwalls like an idiot. If you use IDBEHOLDA, secret areas still aren't shown on the map. Would be great if there was a way to either mark pushwalls on the automap (the outdated WolfGL port had that) or at least to make secret areas visible when using automap cheat.
4) I don't know if the Death Cam feature is possible (after killing a boss), but it'd be nice to see. Same goes for the escape "cinematics" at the end of some episodes.

Other than that, it plays and feels really like Wolfenstein, especially with the awesome soundtrack.

BTW the easiest way to run everything is to put the original, the enhanced and the music wad together into a zipfile and just load that.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

...and now update all the rest of Laz Rojas' work :)
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Tormentor667 wrote:...and now update all the rest of Laz Rojas' work :)
That would be ALOT of work lol
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

NightFright wrote: 1) It seems when you leave E3M10 (Pacman secret level), it throws you back to E3M2 (should be E3M8). Maybe a problem with MAPINFO.
Oops, certainly need to look into that. A second version is likely to see a release.
NightFright wrote: 2) If you are killed by enemies, the message still gives you the name of the Doom enemy (e.g. Chaingunner for Grosse). Maybe this could be improved.
Yeah, I know all about that and this is something that is in my reach. So, next version.
NightFright wrote: 3) This game has a lot of secret areas. Sometimes it's totally insane to keep clicking for pushwalls like an idiot. If you use IDBEHOLDA, secret areas still aren't shown on the map. Would be great if there was a way to either mark pushwalls on the automap (the outdated WolfGL port had that) or at least to make secret areas visible when using automap cheat.
This would probably require editing the actual levels which I will not do. The secret pushwalls are supposed to be hard to find, they are secrets after all.
NightFright wrote: 4) I don't know if the Death Cam feature is possible (after killing a boss), but it'd be nice to see. Same goes for the escape "cinematics" at the end of some episodes.
I have no idea if this is possible or how to do it, would require a lot of scripting and maybe decorate. I don't really see the death cam as a big enough deal.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Captain Proof wrote:
Tormentor667 wrote:...and now update all the rest of Laz Rojas' work :)
That would be ALOT of work lol
But worth it... I still consider WolfenDoom - especially the ones from scratch - as some of the greatest mods ever.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

Agreed, he definitely was a wiz when it came to mapping and screwing with dehacked.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Astrostein was a superb game setting and very well executed. I'd quite like to be able to play the Mac versions of Laz's stuff. They look interesting.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Enjay wrote:Astrostein was a superb game setting and very well executed. I'd quite like to be able to play the Mac versions of Laz's stuff. They look interesting.
Having played them, they are actually pretty cool, though some of them employ some questional map design choices (like Amerika The Beautiful, which has you just next to a room with about 30 machinegun-wielding troopers.

I do like how much effort went into those, though - despite Mac Wolfenstein featuring native support for new graphics included with map packs, Laz went a step further by altering the game executable itself to change the sound effects (this unfortunately means that loading a mod requires some use of the ResEdit utility and making a copy of the program).
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I was considering doing an Astrostein enhancement after finishing up SuperArctic, but I haven't finished up SuperArctic yet, so that has to wait.

To be honest, though, I never played through all of Astrostein. I don't know why, but I constantly get bored as I do so.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

InsanityBringer wrote:I was considering doing an Astrostein enhancement after finishing up SuperArctic, but I haven't finished up SuperArctic yet, so that has to wait.

To be honest, though, I never played through all of Astrostein. I don't know why, but I constantly get bored as I do so.
Nothing wrong with a Shameless Plug

Also, what is SuperArctic?
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

SuperArctic is my silly-named Operation: Arctic Wolf enhancement which ports the thing to ZDoom and modifies the gameplay a lot to be less boring (a major problem with the original is that when you get the MP40 you basically become completely unstoppable because you have a rapid-fire super shotgun, heh.) It's pretty close to being done, but not releasable yet.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

InsanityBringer wrote:after finishing up SuperArctic
This is one awesome news!
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Version 2 is on the way, at the moment I am trying to figure how to make it work correctly when packed all into one single ZIP/PK3. So far, my attempts have failed. ORIGINAL.WAD/NOCT.WAD must be loaded before any other of the WADs but ZDoom appears to do precisly the wrong thing and load these among the last.

Help?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”