WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (final? version)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CeeJay

WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update (final? version)

Post by CeeJay »

A pretty simple and straight forward update of Laz Rojas' original WolfenDOOM scenarios: Original and Nocturnal Missions. Every enemy, item and weapon in the game was re-made from scratch to more resemble their original Wolfenstein 3D counterparts, and less like the Doom counterparts they replace. So mutants no longer launch fireballs, officers don't wield chainguns among many other changes and improvements. The game is overall more faithfaul and balanced.

All the basic groundwork was done old-school style with DeHacked/DEH, so in theory this should be 100% vanilla Doom compatible. However, the levels won't play correctly, so a mapinfo file was made for ZDoom-based ports and an sndinfo, language and gameinfo file to spice things up and add a little variation to the game.

Because the original WolfenDOOM files seem a tad bit hard to come by these days, i've included both the Original and Nocturnal Missions (intact and unaltered) within the package. However all you need to play are ORIGINAL.WAD and NOCT.WAD, you don't need the DeHacked (DEH) or any of the other files.

Enjoy!

Download (version 1):
http://www.mediafire.com/?dd27q71ho7atvgu

VERSION 2

Original Missions: http://www.mediafire.com/?zhbo06jykmw7dao

Nocturnal Missions: http://www.mediafire.com/?9zcj7fqcxnbp3o1

EDGE Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?trix5529ghm92s0

HOLY SHIT IT'S BACK FROM THE GRAVE!

NEW VERSION 12/12/28!!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?00vb8ia98nbadd9

The mod (EDGE version) received a complete overhaul from the ground up, now being much more accurate and faithful to the Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny Games. Among new eye and ear candy are extended and improved enemy frames and Spear of Destiny exclusive music which was previously missing. Most other changes are under-the-hood type stuff, improved mechanics and behavior but it's quite a lot.

For those who have no idea what this is: it is an extensive remake/update of Laz Rojas' WolfenDoom scenarios: Original Missions, Nocturnal Missions and Spear of Destiny featuring hi-res wall and sprites, crisper sound effects and re-recorded Wolfenstein 3D music (with real instruments) among other things. It was developed for and requires EDGE 1.35 and a Doom 2 IWAD. Everything else is included in the package.
Last edited by CeeJay on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
TheDoomGuy

Re: WolfenDOOM (by Laz Rojas) update

Post by TheDoomGuy »

This is quite cool. It's definitely better than the original; an improvement. I like the Mac weapon sprites and sounds.

One thing, though, I recommend you delete the .EXE files from the internal .ZIP files, as those are illegal... then replace the link.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

I won't be deleting anything from Laz Rojas' original files, since I have not asked for permission I feel it be better to leave them exactly the way they are. Untouched, unaltered, unspoiled.
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

Fantastic. I had a similar idea that I was supposed to pursue and finish about a year ago, glad to see that you've done something like this. A WolfenDOOM enhancement mod just had to be done and I was surprised that no one else wanted to do it.

As for the mod itself, it's really great. The new sounds were a great addition, it reminds me of one of those "old games, new sound" episodes. The DeHackEd work was done very well and your methods for achieving certain effects were quite clever too. Also, are those your BJ sprites? They look extremely familiar...
Last edited by DenisBelmondo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

No, I picked up those BJ sprites here in the ZDoom forums. Credit to whoever made them. As for the attack rotations for the enemies they were done by DoomJedi, though this is not confirmed. They are from an old abandoned Wolfenstein project. The resources from it were released over at wolfenstein.co.uk
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Yeah, but... they're illegal. They are modified versions of the original DOOM 2 executables which is pretty much like distributing the game. Although the source code was released, the original game exacutables remain copyrighted, and contain proprietary code which id aren't able to make public.

I hate to be a sour grape, but it is what it is.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

If there is enough interest in this project, I might come out with a second version since there are still a few things i feel could be improved or added. I kind of got fed up, i anticipated this to take no more than a couple of days to complete but it ended up seemingly with no end to it. I am a perfectionist when it comes to these sort of things. Treasure items still act as armour for instance and the ambience feature could be improved further.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

TheDoomGuy wrote:Yeah, but... they're illegal. They are modified versions of the original DOOM 2 executables which is pretty much like distributing the game. Although the source code was released, the original game exacutables remain copyrighted, and contain proprietary code which id aren't able to make public.

I hate to be a sour grape, but it is what it is.
Now hold on a minute. You know that ZDoom is a modified DOOM 2 executable, right? Unless he's including Doom2.wad with the thing (modified or otherwise), he is just bloody fine with distributing this. Remember Doom 2 is open source, while the game content itself is not.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

It is not my problem, I am just including Laz Rojas' original files, they do not in any way belong to me. If you have a problem with it, go talk to him.

Let's drop that pointless matter all together shall we and not go off-topic.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The executables themselves, as far as I'm aware, are modified versions of Boom. Obviously, id software had no qualms with people distributing Boom, and the source was licenced in a way that allows redistribution of derived works. So it should be safe to distribute them.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Post by NightFright »

I just had the chance to check this out and have to say it's really good. Your modifications bring this mod really close to the original game, it's almost as good as the TC from AFADoomer. The added music is definitely excellent and certainly the best Wolfenstein-themed stuff I have heard yet.
If you intend to do the same with Spear of Destiny, I certainly wouldn't object! :)
Steve1664

Post by Steve1664 »

Okay, quick question - how do I get these to work? Trying to open the WADs just plops me into Doom 2, and when it does work properly I don't get the music or graphics.
Captain Proof

Post by Captain Proof »

NightFright wrote:I just had the chance to check this out and have to say it's really good. Your modifications bring this mod really close to the original game, it's almost as good as the TC from AFADoomer. The added music is definitely excellent and certainly the best Wolfenstein-themed stuff I have heard yet.
If you intend to do the same with Spear of Destiny, I certainly wouldn't object! :)
I would like to see Astrostein, Arctic Wolf, and Rhinegold done in an Episodic format.
Steve1664 wrote:Okay, quick question - how do I get these to work? Trying to open the WADs just plops me into Doom 2, and when it does work properly I don't get the music or graphics.
I am getting the same problem. I checked the batch files and everything seems like it is in order.
CeeJay

Post by CeeJay »

Well, you need to make sure you have the original.wad and noct.wad in the same directory along with origenh.wad, noctenh.wad and wolfmus.wad. The command line is: zdoom.exe -file original.wad (or noct.wad) origenh.wad (or noctenh.wad) wolfmus.wad, optionally you can add -iwad doom2.wad, though this should not be required.

I used ZDoom 2.5.0 (r3334) when making and testing the game, so if you have all of these things and start the game with the proper commands, i can't really understand why you shouldn't be able to get it to work.

Unfortunately, Spear of Destiny will not be made for a simple reason: There is just too many enemies that drop items when killed. I believe all but one of the bosses drop a key, and with the limitations of DeHacked/WHacked you can only get four actors to drop something.

Edit: Arctic Wolf, Astrostein and Rhinegold will probably not see an update either as they would require a more realistic approach and require much more work. By the time Laz got to Arctic Wolf and Rhinegold his DeHacked skills had almost been perfected so i see little point in doing a massive update like this for them.
Gez

Post by Gez »

wildweasel wrote:Now hold on a minute. You know that ZDoom is a modified DOOM 2 executable, right?
No, it's not.

Doom+ is a modified doom2 executable, though.
wildweasel wrote:Remember Doom 2 is open source, while the game content itself is not.
Most of the code contained in doom2.exe is open source. Not all, though. For example, the DMX code is not; and neither is some other DOS-specific parts (like the mouse input code if I'm not mistaken). What is open source is a version of Linux Doom cleaned up and tweaked a bit by Bernd Kreimeier.

Everything is copyrighted, including executables. The vanilla doom2.exe is copyrighted by id software, and modifying it directly then distributing these changed copies is not covered by the license they provided to players.

There is a big technical difference between a modified executable and an executable independently built from a modified source code.

All that said, in practice, I really don't see id software caring about people distributing dehacked versions of doom2.exe. While it is technically copyright infringement, it falls squarely in the "who the hell cares about something like that" part of the spectrum.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”