Hacx 2.0 -- Hacxmas Alpha!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should Hacx 2.0 enable jumping?

Yes
70%
No
15%
Don't Care
15%

Total votes: 159

Mike12

Re: Hacx 2.0 -- Now in Development!

Post by Mike12 »

Captain Ventris wrote:I... I have NEVER noticed that there were numbers, I always just saw bits of some alien language or something. :O
Haha, same here! Only after it was pointed out here did I realize that it was just numbers that weren't shaded too well. :P
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Still working on the Bazooka, shouldn't be too much longer now, though.

In the meantime, here's the new first frame for the Android enemy:
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Ah! That's definitely an improvement -- the shoulders are a bit awkward looking, maybe, but the shading is much better. Also, were the hands that detailed before? I can't remember, but they loko great now. :)

The annoying part about the Android sprites is that the walking animation is very odd -- it kinda just 'shuffles' in place. If you could do something about that too, that'd be maximally awesome. Thanks for the assistance. :)

Also, as a fair warning, I'm working on the coding of a couple of monsters, which shouldn't really affect anything but the Mecha Maniac (HK "replacement") since I had to give it some mirrored firing frames and an altered walking sequence. Otherwise, feel free to hacx away at 'em. :)

Finally, a note for the spectators: Grymmoire's getting back into mapping and Cage is planning on making his comeback, so things are picking up. :)
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Haha, thanks! And yeah, the hands are completely redone (they were really skinny and weird before), the midsection was made alot beefier, arms are a little thicker, the head features are a bit more prominent, and obviously the lighting and shading have been enhanced.

Also, how do the shoulders seem awkward to you? It looks fine to me at the moment, but if you have an idea/improvement in mind for the shoulders I'll see if I can improve it.
(Just want to make sure I have everything on the first frame down so I have a foundation for the rest of the frames. :P)

Also, is the walking animation odd like that for every angle, or just the front and back angles?
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

Heh, the idea of a sort of hunched over, maybe shamble-y android would be neat. It would definitely break the robot mold, but I mean, they were made by a CRAZY computer.
Sodaholic

Post by Sodaholic »

I'm feeling kind of bored at the moment and feel like contributing something to this project. Anything in particular that needs to be done?
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Got some more work done on the 'Zooka:

These give an idea of how it's going to work mechanically.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Not bad. I think the back side of the five needs darker shadow to be more consistent with the Z and the 3; and taking a cue from this the back face of the sliding block might be darkened a bit too. Same for the rail.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Looking nice; much like the uhh... shotgun replacement (whatever it's called, the name escapes me), it's losing that "pseudo-3D look" that was pervasive in the mid-90's. Like most of Strife's enemies and weapons. :o
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

TheDoomGuy wrote:it's losing that "pseudo-3D look" that was pervasive in the mid-90's. Like most of Strife's enemies and weapons. :o
Yes, to me that's the biggest improvement. The look that you describe, I have always assumed, is the result of 3D rendering software (perhaps because of lack of computing horsepower, or perhaps the primitive nature of the software at the time) only managing simple and very plastic-looking renders.

Got to say, I love the look of the android a few posts up too. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it (and other Hacx 2.0 modifications ) turn out.

This is a very interesting project.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Not bad thus far -- the numbers (the '5' in particular) look oddly rounded, though, like they've been chipped away or something -- and the Genemp stamp is a bit shiny but otherwise a really nice touch. Good to see it animating, too. ;)

There's been some more behind-the-scenes work on a few things. Expect an update rather soon. ;)
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

Enjay wrote:
TheDoomGuy wrote:it's losing that "pseudo-3D look" that was pervasive in the mid-90's. Like most of Strife's enemies and weapons. :o
Yes, to me that's the biggest improvement. The look that you describe, I have always assumed, is the result of 3D rendering software (perhaps because of lack of computing horsepower, or perhaps the primitive nature of the software at the time) only managing simple and very plastic-looking renders.

Got to say, I love the look of the android a few posts up too. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it (and other Hacx 2.0 modifications ) turn out.

This is a very interesting project.
Exactly.

If you or anyone else here have played the vintage DeHackEd TC, S.T.R.A.I.N., which I'm sure you have at least, know what a nightmare those kind of poor simple and very plastic-looking renders can be. LOL
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Thats good to know that is going to be a HacX 2!

Just an idea: That invisible enemy that replaces the revenant, that could be improved for somekind of scary invisible enemy :)
Mike12

Post by Mike12 »

Hey, sorry it took so long, but I got the rocket launcher thing finished! Might clean it up a bit later, but it should be usable enough for now.

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nice. :)

Hrm... Middle frame, bottom row - What's up with that one? I never thought that frame looked good, being on a track I don't think the top bar should move down. Not sure wher the original artist was going with it. I think it'd look better as a previous frame (right side, top row) with the expelled energy modified. Make sense?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”