ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
User avatar
MidnightTH
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 am
Location: Z2M4

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by MidnightTH »

wildweasel wrote:Wow, sounds like you're only making that because you have a chip on your shoulder about everybody. Seriously, why all the Cutmanmike and Tormentor enemies? And who the hell's Edward Carswell?
A OC.
@ Blue shadow: For the lulz.
User avatar
wildweasel
Posts: 21706
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by wildweasel »

MidnightTH wrote:@ Blue shadow: For the lulz.
This isn't 4chan, you're not Anonymous, and "For the lulz" is the worst possible reason you can have to make something.
User avatar
MidnightTH
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 am
Location: Z2M4

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by MidnightTH »

wildweasel wrote:
MidnightTH wrote:@ Blue shadow: For the lulz.
This isn't 4chan, you're not Anonymous, and "For the lulz" is the worst possible reason you can have to make something.
Im sorry.....
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by scalliano »

Ever since I played the CIF trilogy I've wanted to do a jokewad in the same style ie proper level design/scripting but with brain-dead humour and insane difficulty, but the amount of work involved means the chances of it happening are pretty slim. It would be called BEEF and the plot would take in such things as the GZDoom/Skulltag drama from last year, the whole "D64 on ZDoom" episode and perhaps even the recent spate of bans. It would have an episodic structure like Doom 1 with each episode taking in a particular mission. The player would visit various Doom forums, fending off noobs, trolls and various other zealous types. Realm667 would basically be the item shop, where the player could stock up on supplies and buy new weapons and equipment. Also, whereas CIF used simple Doomguy recolours for all but a few of the NPC's, I was thinking of doing Doomguy sprite edits based on their avatars eg Graf would be coloured beige and wielding a proton pack, Torm would be turquoise like the R667 icon, Kaiser would be the D64 guy, etc. Needless to say, most of the gags would need to be taken with a pinch of salt by all sides involved and absolutely everyone would get it in the neck in some way. One idea I had was that during the face-off with VortexCortex, he would call ST's ConsoleCommand function to crash the game, making it beatable only in GZDoom. Taking it too far, perhaps?
Gez
 
 
Posts: 17840
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Gez »

scalliano wrote:perhaps even the recent spate of bans
Banned people as stealth monsters? :P
User avatar
Phobus
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Phobus »

scalliano wrote:One idea I had was that during the face-off with VortexCortex, he would call ST's ConsoleCommand function to crash the game, making it beatable only in GZDoom. Taking it too far, perhaps?
As punch lines go, that one is fantastic. Particularly if GZDoom players were treated to a message saying what was happening.
User avatar
Jimmy
 
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:49 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Jimmy »

scalliano wrote:Ever since I played the CIF trilogy I've wanted to do a jokewad in the same style ie proper level design/scripting but with brain-dead humour and insane difficulty, but the amount of work involved means the chances of it happening are pretty slim. It would be called BEEF and the plot would take in such things as the GZDoom/Skulltag drama from last year, the whole "D64 on ZDoom" episode and perhaps even the recent spate of bans. It would have an episodic structure like Doom 1 with each episode taking in a particular mission. The player would visit various Doom forums, fending off noobs, trolls and various other zealous types. Realm667 would basically be the item shop, where the player could stock up on supplies and buy new weapons and equipment. Also, whereas CIF used simple Doomguy recolours for all but a few of the NPC's, I was thinking of doing Doomguy sprite edits based on their avatars eg Graf would be coloured beige and wielding a proton pack, Torm would be turquoise like the R667 icon, Kaiser would be the D64 guy, etc. Needless to say, most of the gags would need to be taken with a pinch of salt by all sides involved and absolutely everyone would get it in the neck in some way. One idea I had was that during the face-off with VortexCortex, he would call ST's ConsoleCommand function to crash the game, making it beatable only in GZDoom. Taking it too far, perhaps?
As I said on Doomworld, I tried something oh so similar to this. Would you be interesting in seeing it? :P
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by scalliano »

@Phobus: The idea I had was that when the "attack" failed, VC would react with something like "WTF HAX!" or something, to which the player would simply say something like "This is GZDoom you fucking n00b that shit doesn't work!"

@Jimmy: Yes please!
User avatar
Jimmy
 
 
Posts: 4722
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:49 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Jimmy »

Heh, okay. Youuu... may have to bear with me while I get it into some state which doesn't resemble a hideous hodge-podge. :P
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by scalliano »

Jimmy wrote:Heh, okay. Youuu... may have to bear with me while I get it into some state which doesn't resemble a hideous hodge-podge. :P
Hey, no rush :)
User avatar
Phobus
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by Phobus »

scalliano wrote:@Phobus: The idea I had was that when the "attack" failed, VC would react with something like "WTF HAX!" or something, to which the player would simply say something like "This is GZDoom you fucking n00b that shit doesn't work!"
Could do with being a bit less internet childish, but that's certainly along the lines I'd aim for with such a joke.
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by scalliano »

Phobus wrote:Could do with being a bit less internet childish, but that's certainly along the lines I'd aim for with such a joke.
Perhaps. Sort of taking a leaf out of CIF's book on that score:
Spoiler:
Given the time to script out the dialogue, I'd probably come up with something funnier, or less juvenile at least. I'd also thought of a mission where you have to rid the community of troll mappers like Terry and CJWright, although with Terry it would be a tough job keeping the humour out of the gutter :P Perhaps even having Ruba speaking entirely in Zero Wingrish.

The more I talk about this, the more I want to do it ...
User avatar
wildweasel
Posts: 21706
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:33 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by wildweasel »

There have been a number of ZDoom Forums wads attempted over the years - the most interesting-looking of them was SirAlien's attempt (which featured Enjay in an Obi-Wan sprite) but unfortunately it died and was (presumably) lost in a backup or something. I'd love to get one going myself, perhaps join one in progress, if only to actually appear in one of these and not be completely misportrayed (I was apparently in CIF3; for some reason my only purpose was to bitch the player out...I get the feeling Kaiser didn't do any research on me. =P)
User avatar
NeuralStunner
 
 
Posts: 12326
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:04 pm
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: capital N, capital S, no space

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by NeuralStunner »

wildweasel wrote:(I was apparently in CIF3; for some reason my only purpose was to bitch the player out...I get the feeling Kaiser didn't do any research on me. =P)
... Huh? What else do you do around here? :P
User avatar
scalliano
Posts: 2848
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:16 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by scalliano »

I'd just like to be in one - I was a mere lurker back when CIF3 was in development.

Thing is, I'm no Tormentor - I don't really think I'm cut out to lead a dev team and my ACS knowledge is limited, something that a project like this would really need. If BEEF ever were to see the light of day, it would most certainly be more game than gags because of this.

Return to “General”