[WIP] Helltricks (updated 2. mar)

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
FDARI

[WIP] Helltricks (updated 2. mar)

Post by FDARI »

Remember "Unpredictor"? I didn't think so. That was a set of experiments turning into a contest entry (Doom Mutator Contest II). Helltricks is based on a similar motivation, but most of the changes/tricks are executed more thoughtfully. It mainly replaces monsters with various more versatile or unpredictable versions of themselves, adding various powers to keep you on your toes. Many foes are slightly weaker than their unmodified counterparts (endure less, and do less damage), but still quite a bit more likely to hurt you.

I'll provide detail information on the implemented variations, but as always I recommend trying it out without knowing. Or better: I ask that you do so. I want to know how much harder this mod becomes when you don't know what all the changes are.

Changes are mostly not visual, but I'll post a few screenshots of some few that are.
Spoiler: Images
The mod is and will remain fully compatible with both Doom and Doom II. (Doom II assets are only used when replacing Doom II actors.)

I have not provided variants for all enemies yet (and maybe I will not, although I think in time I will). Also, I'll consider your ideas and opinions. Too fast, too unavoidable, too powerful, too ammo-consuming... Regarding ammunition: I found myself using quite a bit more ammo on some occasions, sometimes minor ammo pickups will be a bit bigger, or be replaced with their "box" counterpart. (I think it works, didn't put much thought into it.)

Download (28 KB): http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... tricks.pk3 (version: 21. feb 2011)

All creatures also occur in their original, unmodified form.
EDIT / UPDATE 21. feb: Slight modifications of the possessed, and a slightly new approach to archviles.
EDIT / UPDATE 02. mar: Some odd powerups and some Mancubus effects. Please have a look.
Attachments
Helltricks.pk3
DRD-Down
(28.9 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Last edited by FDARI on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
FDARI

Re: [WIP] Helltricks

Post by FDARI »

Spoiler: Details on beasts and projectiles
Unholypimpin

Post by Unholypimpin »

i think that frosty looking caco looks cool. Will all the monsters be just recolors or will there be differant sprites?
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Gave it a test run. Was pretty neat, although I was somewhat disappointed by the Zombies remaining untouched... There's lots you can do with them, you know. Make them more trigger happy, give them better (but slower) aim, burst fire, improved dodging, suppressing fire...

also the Chaos Cacodemon is hilarious
FDARI

Post by FDARI »

"Resource" data is not really in the scope of this project; only text lumps. Mostly decorate. At the present, I have one SNDINFO-lump, and the rest is all decorate.

The focus is not on how things look, but on what they do.

PS: I tend to test this on Doom episode 3, the first half. For some reason, I quite like the early levels of Inferno. I suspect that the mod is unplayable on nightmare, or in "Thy flesh consumed". Situations that stretch your ability to its limits will normally exceed your ability if helltricks is added.

Ethril: Zombies will be... touched. Touched up. They're not a priority. Reduced waiting time in firing state might be a good idea. Makes them slightly more likely to get one shot on you in a sudden encounter. Other ideas are also welcome, and even code submissions, if you have something you want to package with this project.

Archviles: I have done something for archviles, but I'll probably throw it out, or adjust it. I don't think my archvilework is reasonably good at this point.
FDARI

Re: [WIP] Helltricks (updated 21. feb)

Post by FDARI »

Update: Archviles and possessed humans have some new tricks.
...files.drdteam.org/index.php/files/get/HXUDtEhSO0/helltricks.pk3

Edit 02. mar http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... tricks.pk3
Last edited by FDARI on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
FDARI

Re: [WIP] Helltricks (updated 21. feb)

Post by FDARI »

I've been tinkering with this the last days, mostly archvilebugs (the programmer type, not crazy doom monsters), balancing, unbalancing and some rebalancing. I haven't got much new, though. I intend to cover all monsters in Doom and Doom II, but I do not intend to include anything that doesn't improve the game experience in any way.

I'd like som feedback on what's already there. This is a slightly serious modding attempt meaning to enhance the gaming experience somehow, so:
* Of the things you have found, is there anything that needs to be removed?
* Is there anything you would like to see in this mod?

Also, most of the ideas I have are already implemented. What isn't in at this time will not be in until somebody thinks of something.

What I discuss below is not all in the uploaded mod. These are the monsters on my mind.

ZombieMan, ShotgunGuy, Chaingunner: A few minor alterations are made. Do you have ideas that would make it more exciting?
Spoiler: What I have
Fatso (not uploaded): At home I have some rather lame attempts at making this monster more interesting. I think I need more experience fighting it, so that I can tell what, if anything, gets old and easy about it. Or I must develop an artistic understanding of its role. Of course, these bulky missilepods might not really need anything in that regard. Their lame simplicity fits their role and imagined personality.

Dual-missile-fatso? They appear to be equipped for firing two missiles, one from each arm. Study shows three missiles emerging from the centre. I'd like to fire two missiles with appropriate points of origin. If nothing better occurs to me, perhaps A_SpawnItemEx with sin and cos to place points of origin, with SXF_TRANSFERPOINTERS and SXF_SETMASTER; and a spawned actor with 0 tick lifetime and a_custommissile.

Archvile (most recent version not uploaded): Some variants may actually be a bit too hard, but it depends a lot on the circumstances, and your current arsenal. Some of the differences are subtle. The "sadistic monsters" have distinct groups of power-type. Within each group there are subtle differences. Some give you better warnings than others. Some are more dangerous than others. Verifying overall playability with these replacements might be hard.

Revenant: I haven't done anything. Promise! Any ideas?
Arachnotron: Nothing.
Hell knight: Nothing good, really. But not that bad either.

Big bossmonsters: I'm not really planning on replacing these, unless you think they ought to have variants. I need some truly worthwhile ideas. They're rare enough in games not to require great variation, aren't they?
FDARI

Re: [WIP] Helltricks (updated 2. mar)

Post by FDARI »

New small update. I have achieved a little with the mancubus, and I have amused myself with some themed pickups for the archviles. Visual aspects of the pickups are incomplete, but technical aspects are about the way I intended them. Slight and odd perks, but perks nonetheless.

http://files.drdteam.org/index.php/file ... tricks.pk3

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”