Æons of Cheap

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dynamo

Æons of Cheap

Post by Dynamo »

Because I really really really really really really have nothing better to do, in my free time I've been working on yet another of those terrible shuffle wads with random monsters (and no new weapons, although they have some new graphics but no gameplay changes). I've written most of the decorate code so I could pratice a bit since I'm not a decorate expert.

It is pretty much like ÆoD except it's... completely different. It is also somewhat lightweight, being less than 10 MB so far.

http://www.2shared.com/file/yOLK5HoE/shuffle.html Updated since download had expired.

Screenshots. They are terrible but I couldn't be bothered to make better ones.
Spoiler:
This was mostly meant for personal use but in case someone likes this kind of mod I'm releasing it anyway. The (few) new enemies aren't that complex, they're mostly meant to add some graphical variation to your favourite PWADS rather than radically change the gameplay, so hopefully some "hardcore" players can get a few fun matches with it. Though, if you really despise shuffle mods in general, I don't think this one will change your mind, although if anything it uses very little from R667.

It isn't done yet, although I've finished most of it, I'm gonna complete it when I stop being lazy maybe. Please report bugs if you find any, although I'm aware there is a bug in the hellhound, not a critical one but I just need to stop being lazy and get around to fix it.

Credits go to whoever made the sprites as seen in the Decorate file and for whoever made those doom megawads that keep the game fresh today. Also, if you attempt to use this mod with some other mod that has extensive dehacked/decorate changes you should go to jail right now. You can edit this mod as much as you like, just don't claim you made it from scratch.
Last edited by Dynamo on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Æons of Cheap

Post by wildweasel »

Finally, someone 100% honest about the contents of their mod! =P
printz

Post by printz »

Gotta love that contrasted Gatling, it looks 200% better than the original :P
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Maybe I haven't gone and looked hard enough, but I've never seen the two-tone chaingun sprite before. Kudos to you if you made it, or to whoever else did. It's damn sexy.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

The original sprite is from Sabbat Matyr. I've edited it though, since that one had blue fire coming out of it and this one has the normal doom fire.

And yeah, it looks 500 times better than the normal chaingun.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

First thought: Uh oh. The title looks kinda scary....

After thought: Well I gotta admit, this actually looks relatively promising. Good luck with it, mate.

If you want any help whatsoever, let me know. ;)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

wildweasel wrote:Finally, someone else 100% honest about the contents of their mod! =P
FTFY :mrgreen:
Hellstorm Archon
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Hellstorm Archon »

This actually looks good. Keep up with the good work! :P
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks guys.
Major Cooke wrote:If you want any help whatsoever, let me know. ;)
Well..... right now the only thing I'd really need help with is a better death animation and fire rotations for the shocktrooper and the mutated cyborg. Though, I don't see that happening since it's a quite difficult task.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

I predict that chaingun sprite will be re-ripped and used to death now. :P
Davidos

Post by Davidos »

Guh, this mod just reminds me that I bloody hate the doom marine for not using standard issue black gloves.
I got the same gloves he's wearin' right now, in black, so I could POSE with them but they'd just look fugly colloured back *Eyebrow twitches*

So, yeah, okay, apart from the name, cuz I suddenly created an avid hatred for AEOD, it looks pretty... err... good!
You know...
... for the meanin' of the mod...
... and stuff.
I'ma go back to researching now.
Major Cooke

Post by Major Cooke »

Davidos wrote:So, yeah, okay, apart from the name, cuz I suddenly created an avid hatred for AEOD, it looks pretty... err... good!
You know...
... for the meanin' of the mod...
... and stuff.
CKeen wrote:Though, if you really despise shuffle mods in general, I don't think this one will change your mind, although if anything it uses very little from R667.
Don't worry, Davidos. He's very well aware of the name of his mod. It's pretty obvious that he simply gave it the name because he wanted to. :P

Truth be told, I rather respect and admire folks who make spin-offs or "yet-another-so-and-so" wads based on projects I've helped put my heart and soul in. Even if it isn't based off of AEoD itself at all, even tipping the hat is very generous.

-----

Ckeen, why don't you go ahead and send me a PM with more details about the monster? I'll see what I can do to help you out if possible.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”