[v1.0.0] Psychic -- HEY LOOK ITS RELEASED NOW

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xaser

Re: [WIP] Psychic -- Public Beta #4

Post by Xaser »

I'll do that on occasion -- if I'm not sure which to keep, I'll leave them both in since the earlier of the two is ignored. Not that I'd recommend the practice -- it doesn't work at all with .pk3s anyway :P

Hmm, having plasma seek a bit better might be a more viable option, though I'm already afraid I'm going to have to specifically nerf it in deathmatch mode since it would make it a bit too easy to hit quick-moving players. Good thought, though.
Ethril

Post by Ethril »

Xaser wrote:Hmm, having plasma seek a bit better might be a more viable option, though I'm already afraid I'm going to have to specifically nerf it in deathmatch mode since it would make it a bit too easy to hit quick-moving players. Good thought, though.
You can still outrun it and lead it into a wall, though. :P
Kilkakon

Post by Kilkakon »

Haha yeah... spammable homing missiles of doom provided they can get the cash. I think that the most deadly types of homing missiles are the slow ones though... quickly ducking behind a wall doesn't work as they are still coming. :P
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

By the way Xaser, have you thought about giving Heretic support for this?
Also, GLDEFS?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Heretic support would be a bit too hacky and gimmicky, I think. Maybe later, but only as a future patch or some such. And I'll add GLDEFS if someone else makes them -- I never use 'em, myself, and am usually unmotivated to add it as a result. :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Well, checking the stuff for gldefs would give me the perfect excuse to try the mod.

Once you put dynamic lights in all aeod, there's no gldefs task that looks impossible :P
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Yikes. I'm afraid to know how many years long it took. :P

I might do it eventually, perhaps. It's just not a priority task for some strange reason.
legalrodrigo

Post by legalrodrigo »

This mod rocks, desperately waiting for the next version! :wub:
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Xaser wrote:Yikes. I'm afraid to know how many years long it took. :P

I might do it eventually, perhaps. It's just not a priority task for some strange reason.
Call it new year's spirit, or day off, but I already started :P
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Question to anyone, are the lightning effects supposed to be yellow or blue? The spawning effect tells me yellow, but then the actual attacks are blue/white. Also, the powered version switches between both. I wonder if this is intentional.
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Major Cooke »

DBThanatos wrote:Question to anyone, are the lightning effects supposed to be yellow or blue? The spawning effect tells me yellow, but then the actual attacks are blue/white. Also, the powered version switches between both. I wonder if this is intentional.
When I last played this, it was blue. That's how it's always been. Same for the AEoD version too.

It looks better as blue, anyway.

Xaser: It only takes a minute to make a light or two. Nice thing is, thanks to this bad boy, having inheritances are no longer an issue. And it's Zdoom safe too.
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

DBThanatos wrote:Question to anyone, are the lightning effects supposed to be yellow or blue? The spawning effect tells me yellow, but then the actual attacks are blue/white. Also, the powered version switches between both. I wonder if this is intentional.
Are you talking about the psychic power Lightning? If so, then perhaps make the ball you summon yellow, and the actual bolts it summons blue/white? Or would that look weird?
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Major Cooke wrote:Xaser: It only takes a minute to make a light or two. Nice thing is, thanks to this bad boy, having inheritances are no longer an issue. And it's Zdoom safe too.
That's a very bad idea for this. As I said, I already started making the lights, doing them completely separate in GLDEFS. While adding them directly in the actors is quite practical, the files in the beta could easily be outdated from the files Xaser have now on his side (let's call them "development files"), so, if I add the lights in DECORATE, and xaser happens to have a newer version on his side, either he would have selectively to copy my changes in decorate, or I would have to redo all with updated versions. Either way, is working twice, vs what Im doing, which is just GLDEFS and that's it, no other change required.
Doomhuntress wrote:Are you talking about the psychic power Lightning? If so, then perhaps make the ball you summon yellow, and the actual bolts it summons blue/white? Or would that look weird?
Well, I am not changing anything at all, I just want to make sure if the lightning is intentionally blue (and the powered version blue and sometimes yellow).
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Good to see it's coming along well! Thank you muchly for this, DBT. :)

The lightning effect itself is blue now, and will stay that way, although the effect is yellow and the powered version alternates. A bit odd, I suppose, but the sprites here work a lot better than the ones I was using before.

And you're right in assuming that the DECORATE's been modified since this last beta. I can provide the latest files if you think it'd be easier to do it that way, though.
DBThanatos

Post by DBThanatos »

Xaser wrote:And you're right in assuming that the DECORATE's been modified since this last beta. I can provide the latest files if you think it'd be easier to do it that way, though.
Heh. Not at this point.

I think Im done with this. I added lights to everything I thought needed them. Almost every projectile and "visual effects" actors (and certain monsters) have now a dynamic light assigned.

The only things that might be needing a 2nd though are:
-Grenade actor "in air" shows a light (small), looks fine, but the grenade itself doesnt look like it should have it.
-The ice power, when using it's powered version (the bouncing ball), shoots lots of shards upon explosion. At this point, each shard have a light, and might cause some performance issues.

But overall, I think is looking fine.

EDIT: whoops, wrong version... just a sec.
EDIT2: Ok. Good to go.
Attachments
Lites.zip
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Return to “Gameplay Mods”