Wolfen preview

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

nope... the gear is what im looking for

maybe you should have a pukeable walkthru like i do

Code: Select all

int walkthru;
script 998 (void) // set the walkthru bit (999 is always debug mode for my stuff)
{
walkthru = 1;
printbold(s:"Walkthru Enabled");
}
then just have all of your regular scripts have this:

Code: Select all

if (walkthru == 1)
{
print(s:"i think i could use that log to get up onto that ledge...);
}
but im sure you already knew that...

(BTW this method also works well for commentary)
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

I'm not sure if this is a map error or a ZDoom error, but when I tried opening the bookcase, it didn't work properly. That is to say, the book was used, I got a message saying it fit in the bookcase, and a sound played, but the bookcase didn't physically move. What's more, after having done that, when I would move to look at the case from a different angle, the very edge of the texture would vanish and reveal the area behind the bookcase. It looked like polyobject HOM, but I have no idea what would have caused it. Obviously there was nothing to block the movement of the bookcase...

I only had the Demon Codex at the time, not two books as Xaser mentioned. I used noclip to get past the case and entered a room with some coffins where I picked up some super weapon or other, and fought 2 or 3 enemies. Other than that, there was nothing down there.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

BH wrote:maybe you should have a pukeable walkthru like i do
Or to expand on that, on OPEN script to check the skill level, and to enable "tips" on easy/easiest settings.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

HotWax wrote:I only had the Demon Codex at the time, not two books as Xaser mentioned.
There are two missing books. If you only had one then it shouldn't have played Hexen's puzzle success sound.
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

Daemon Codex? Never heard before hm...
Biff

Post by Biff »

Yeah, and the Hexen manuals I read said nothing about it. However, LWM's tip and (thanks) Xaser's explanation were appreciated. No Xaser, I'll never, ever, play all the way though Hexen as far as I can tell, I don't have that much time and I'm not very fast at solving puzzles.
Zell

Post by Zell »

i took some screenies =p here is where i found the homs
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

that second shot is polyobj bleeding, it you set gennodes to 1 (gennodes 1 in console) that will go away (I had the same problem myself)

hehe, I'm with Biff on the hexen thing as well, I beat the first hub of hexen over the summer which was about 3 years after I got the game
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

The missing textures are fixed. Any other un-mentioned problems?
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

I found one, although it seems to be ZDoom's fault. I think it has to do with looking across two different areas with fake floors/ceilings, it produces HOM. You can see this in the back of the chapel, past the ice chasm. I can't get a pic though, since MSPaint doesn't seem to keep the palette right.
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Chris wrote:I found one, although it seems to be ZDoom's fault.
Fixed.
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

alright, finally played through it all, had a couple problems, though it's entirely possible they were my fault.

- an unmentioned HOM on that tunnel in map03 I think (the map with the fire key in it) when you pop out and face those big knight things that drop a combined mana when they die. the hom is on the floor where two slopes meet at the end of the tunnel (leading outside)
- in map01 before you enter map04 there's that's spot you fall down to that leads to a cave with a piece of the 4th weapon. As the fighter at least there were pieces of that weapon for every class, not just the fighter. not sure if thats intentional or not tho.
- the entrance to map04 isn't a repeatable linedef, so you can't get back to it (I had to changemap map04).
- probably because it's not done yet, but when I completed the hub zdoom bombed to the console saying the end screen wasn't found (I forget the exact error)
- more of a nitpick really, but the mana beam switches, I thought those would actually unlock some sort of secret (like in gunsmith cats) and not open up the final boss (which btw was really cool), so after beating the death wyvern (sp?) I wandered around for a bit wondering what to do (turned out I forgot the switch in the swamp), so I dunno, maybe make them seem more important, though that ruins the puzzle aspect a little I guess... I just suck at puzzles :P
- speaking of puzzles, I really liked the clock tower one, quite cool (that's not a bug)

that's all I can think of right now, good job tho, by far the most fun I ever had in hexen
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Cyb wrote:- probably because it's not done yet, but when I completed the hub zdoom bombed to the console saying the end screen wasn't found (I forget the exact error)
Doesn't happen to me. You don't get the exit text then Hexen's credit screen?
Cyb

Post by Cyb »

yeah I get W_GetNumForName: enDSeQ Not Found! right after I killed the final bosses

but I have a newer version so uh, this is a bug report to randy then, something is funky with hexen end text it seems, at least in the version I have if you haven't fixed it already.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Only a quick reply cause I'm at work.

Played it last night - a very cool Hexen HUB, but with some spiffy Zdoom features and LWM panache to spice it up.

I did spend a lot of time wandering around not knowing what to do. So, a typical of Hexen map, but that aspect was not necessarily fun. As far as I could tell I had explored everywhere (time and time again), but still needed to complete stuff (so, I guess I hadn't explored everywhere after all :P ). Eventually, it was getting late and I noclipped to get into the area with the fire key, and puked the script to switch off the final mana beam (the two things I couldn't do "legally").

I think I spotted all the errors Cyb mentions. I got the enDSeQ problem too. I noticed the capitalisation is odd, so I wondered if that's how it is in a script or MAPINFO something, and if Zdoom is perhaps case specific for it?

One other HOM I don't think had been mentioned. When you kill the Death Wyvern and the spiral staircase in the tower drops, if you go down the stairs, then turn round and go back up, you'll notice a step without a lower texture.

The final fight and wolf enemies were great (where are the wolf sprites from?) and the final battle was very cool. I'll not spoil it for anyone - but I certainly didn't expect it.

I am guessing the grave riddle about two hands to heaven (or whatever it was) relates to the hands of the clock. Even with all my wandering the "time" never seemed to be anywhere near 12:00 (I'm assuming that is what the riddle meant - and yes, the clock was working) so I don't know if that was an essential thing, or a time limit I had to do stuff before, but whatever, I never got to that point.

Return to “General”