[Resource] Obscure Games & Acknex Resources *REUPLOAD*

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [Project] Obscure FPS Resources

Post by NeuralStunner »

Zero X. Diamond wrote:How did you do this? Are you a witch? All my attempts to even VIEW the graphics failed.
Spoiler:
Zer0 wrote:I ripped the graphics by switching file names around. for example, the title graphic would be switched around with the monster graphics and it would show up on the start screen instead.
Clever! :D
Ceeb

Post by Ceeb »

Cool stuff. The textures are on the small side (only 64x64) but they could be scaled up in TEXTURES and put to some use anyway.

I don't know if they'd be eligable for r667's texture stock...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Gez wrote:An RLE compression is quite simple. The image is divided into lines which will be of two types: compressed and uncompressed. When compressed, you'll have a value for the length, and a single pixel. That pixel is repeated as many times as the length value told. When uncompressed, you have a length value, and the next length bytes are taken as pixel data.
Yeah, it seems very simple, but I lack even the basic knowledge necessary to reverse engineer or view files with this sort of compression. There might be a tool out there to probe RLE compressed files, but I doubt it.
Zer0 wrote:I ripped the graphics by switching file names around. for example, the title graphic would be switched around with the monster graphics and it would show up on the start screen instead.
That's amazing in its simplicity! I wonder if this method would work with any other games?
NeuralStunner

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

Snarboo wrote:That's amazing in its simplicity! I wonder if this method would work with any other games?
Any game which uses separate art files for each graphic, I imagine. The original Duke Nukem, for instance. (I was able to change the title screen into Duke or Proton's face by switching the relevant files.) That is, it would most likely work for screens... sprites and such might just give you a garbled mess...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Searching through one of Assassin 2015's data files, I believe I may have found potential palette data. It's preliminary but I'll continue looking.

Edit:
I've found what are unmistakably 3-byte palettes in what I believe is the level data file. Now to figure out the exact offset.

Edit 2:
The palettes I've found don't seem to correspond at all with the weapon graphics. Curious.

Edit 3:
The palette I've created from a screenshot appears to be randomly ordered. It's possible the game doesn't store a palette but rather creates it on the fly.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I can confirm that every level not only uses a different palette, but so does every sprite. I tried loading the palette I was able to hack up from a screenshot and it was VASTLY different from the other levels. The best I can do since I can't run the game is rip the gun as it is seen on the first level.

Edit:
As promised, here is the gun from the first stage:
Assassin 2015 - Level One Gun

The stray black and puke orange pixels are colors in the palette that are missing. This resource also includes the palette I was able to create. It's possible I could try and rip some of the other weapons at a later date, but as long as I cannot run the game, this is impossible.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Does the game even use 256 color video modes? It's a Windows game apparently, perhaps it runs in 16-bit color?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I'm not entirely sure, it's a very early Windows 95 game so it could still limited to 256 colors, but it makes just as much sense for it to be 16-bit too.

Edit:
I've found a new game to rip stuff from and it's incredibly easy, so expect a new resource pack in a short while.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Alright, here's a new resource set for you guys! It's from Westworld 2000, a game by Byron Press:
Westworld 2000 Resource

This resource includes all of the HUD weapons, the menu, and a few random projectiles. This game seems to use the same engine as Forbes Corporate Warrior, as the image files were very similar. I'm not sure where the monsters are stored, so I apologize for not ripping them.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Since I could not find anything CyClones related on RaVeN's site, here's a complete rip of all of CyClones sprites, flats and textures.

Ripped using SLADE 3. I hope the program will be able to read even more games once it gets updated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2eaaxfcufv4ayu4

Enjoy.
DrDoctor

Post by DrDoctor »

Here some games you might want to look into

Deer Hunter II: The Hunt Continues and it's expansion Extended Season - some REALLY nice weapon sprites here (I managed to track down the demo, but all that gives you is the blackpowder rifle, deer antlers, binoculars, and some deer sprites.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGocbc1XA0

Z.A.R. (skip to 5.11) - some Russian mech combat game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7seFuQs8E

Redneck Deer Huntin' (assuming no one has ripped these sprites already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleZ_LeyJaU

Disruptor (PS1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GQT1ibZFk
Last edited by DrDoctor on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't suppose someone can look into ripping the sprites from The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki? Terrible game, but the resources don't look terrible at all, which is better than can be said for some games...
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I recently ordered a copy of Dr. Radiaki in a two pack with another game, so I'll look into ripping it.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

DrDoctor wrote:Here some games you might want to look into

Deer Hunter II: The Hunt Continues and it's expansion Extended Season - some REALLY nice weapon sprites here (I managed to track down the demo, but all that gives you is the blackpowder rifle, deer antlers, binoculars, and some deer sprites.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGocbc1XA0

Z.A.R. (skip to 5.11) - some Russian mech combat game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR7seFuQs8E

Redneck Deer Huntin' (assuming no one has ripped these sprites already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleZ_LeyJaU

Disruptor (PS1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--GQT1ibZFk
I'd love to have the resources from Disruptor... I sent an email to Kaiser asking him if he had ripped them, but he didn't reply yet.

Cutman ripped the weapons, though.
Zero X. Diamond

Post by Zero X. Diamond »

wildweasel wrote:I don't suppose someone can look into ripping the sprites from The Fortress of Dr. Radiaki? Terrible game, but the resources don't look terrible at all, which is better than can be said for some games...
I can get textures and sounds and that's about it. Everything else appears to be heavily compressed.

Return to “Resources”