Phocas Island 2: Re-Phocased. Is it back?

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Should I release endurance mode as a seperate mod or save it for final release?

Yes! I'd love to play endurance mode when it's ready
47%
No, I'll wait until the final release.
53%

Total votes: 47

chopkinsca

Re: Phocas Island 2.5 (optional map gameplay video on page 2

Post by chopkinsca »

Captain Ventris wrote:Well, that's the optional map, so I assume it's more action packed than the main game, which keeps the heart of the original Phocas 2.

Also, my crazy, journal-based story and 12 endings are still in there, right?
Yep, they are still in there. I forget the name of Torm667's mod that had actual page graphics with the notes written on it. I plan to steal that idea and use it for my journals.

And yes, the rest of the game is still in the same style. As it is an optional map, I wanted to try out a more 'doom' style of gameplay. It's more of a 'sodding death 2' easter egg.

Something new I thought of was a way for you to increase player speed. I won't say how just yet though.

And haha @ lizardcommando's comment on the loggun.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

:? Wha? I don't get it. I haven't checked up on this mod in a long time and I didn't know of that weapon's existence...
Demolisher
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Demolisher »

chopkinsca wrote:Torm667's mod that had actual page graphics with the notes written on it.
City of the Damned 2: Apocalypse
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

lizardcommando wrote::? Wha? I don't get it. I haven't checked up on this mod in a long time and I didn't know of that weapon's existence...
As far as I know, the loggun has existed since Phocas Island 2.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

It did?! Holy crap, I guess it's been way too long since I last played it then...
Nash

Post by Nash »

chop, are those blob shadows under the monsters in that video? How are you doing this? Are you attaching subtractive dynamic lights to them? I tried doing this way back, but it made the monster dark in the process. :( But your monsters don't seem to darken. Care to share?
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Nash wrote:chop, are those blob shadows under the monsters in that video? How are you doing this? Are you attaching subtractive dynamic lights to them? I tried doing this way back, but it made the monster dark in the process. :( But your monsters don't seem to darken. Care to share?
Yep, they are subtractive dynamic lights. I forget how I made it so they didn't darken the monster. If you noticed the cacodemons, they go dark when they die. I think the subtractive lights are small enough that they don't reach the center of the sprites. It was mostly luck that they worked out.
chopkinsca

Re: Phocas Island 2.5 (check out the first post)

Post by chopkinsca »

Another example of my going through the maps to spruce them up:
Spoiler:
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

When you've got all the levels done and detailed, etc., I'd like an early peek to see if I need to alter mah story, because I haven't looked at it in forever, and actually seeing how it's going to be implemented would be a good way to see if it needs adjustment.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Captain Ventris wrote:When you've got all the levels done and detailed, etc., I'd like an early peek to see if I need to alter mah story, because I haven't looked at it in forever, and actually seeing how it's going to be implemented would be a good way to see if it needs adjustment.
I doubt anything I'm changing is story breaking. The only changes storywise would be the optional dungeon and new last boss (If I make it). But if you ever want to see the project at any time, just let me know.
Captain Ventris

Post by Captain Ventris »

I still might want to tweak it, so, whenever the new last boss is done, I suppose. Will the optional dungeon have any journal entries or souls?
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Captain Ventris wrote: Will the optional dungeon have any journal entries or souls?
Nope, as it is completely optional, there is nothing story-wise in it.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Well, you could always make it have bonus material :wink:

Some side of the story that isn't necessary to progress but could "open the player's eyes" somehow, or just something interesting to find, possibly a side-story.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Damage wrote:Well, you could always make it have bonus material :wink:

Some side of the story that isn't necessary to progress but could "open the player's eyes" somehow, or just something interesting to find, possibly a side-story.

That's pretty much what the whole project is :P. It's possible to play through and not find a single part of the story.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I'm seriously torn here. Do I play Phocas Island 2 now, potentially getting a lesser experience but being able to better appreciate 2.5 when it's released, or should I wait and play 2.5 and have a fresh experience without thinking "hey I remember this part"?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”