Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch - Released!

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Cutmanmike
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch

Post by Cutmanmike »

When I have the main system down I will open this up as a community effort. I will probably open up a new forum on cutstuff. Might be inconvenient for some though. If you have a problem with an external forum, and would like to map, raise your hand.
Cutmanmike

Re: Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch

Post by Cutmanmike »

Bump!

As an attempt to boost motivation and interest in this WAD, I've decided to publicly release what I showed the private testers previously. This has not been tested in DM but feel free to host a server and give it a whirl.

http://cutstuff.net/files/MegaDMalpha.zip

Any feedback appreciated!

Note to private testers: This is exactly the same as the version you received so there's no reason to redownload it.
Amuscaria

Re: Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch - Public alpha released

Post by Amuscaria »

Will try after my two exams! D:
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Dang, I was hoping there'd be an update for everyone...
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Sorry! I'll start work on it again as soon as the GVH tour bus is over.
CrystalWolf

Post by CrystalWolf »

I would totally map for this project. :)
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

RabidZombie

Post by RabidZombie »

Saw this on Kotaku. Took a few seconds before I recognised the name. :P Nice work.
thedemolitionist

Post by thedemolitionist »

Anyone interested in playing this game online, I am currently hosting a server. The name of my server is Mega Man [Jrockgame] Deathmatch

Here is a video from some highlights today.

Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Ok it's been a really long time since I posted on this topic but I figured I'd do my update spamming here rather than the the WIP thread in off topic.

Every robot master level from Megaman 1 is done except Fireman's which I'm working on right now. Cutman and Gutsman's levels have been completely remade.

Originally I was going to have the weapons behave exactly as their 2D counterparts but after the alpha test it became apparent that the gameplay would suck (just watch the video above). So most of the weapons have been tweaked from the alpha to be more reasonable in the 3d environment. A good example is the Air Shooter, which previously shot 3 projectiles each being varying speeds, now shoots projectiles in 3 directions at the same speed (making it a shotgun kinda weapon). Seems Zippy had the right idea to begin with after all :yup: This also means no more temporary invincibility, as it REALLY slowed the game down. Now it's hectic and fun, just the way I wanted it.

Speaking of weapons, I've made a lot of em. I won't go into details but there's a list of what I've done on my forum that I will update often. I took leaf shield out for now because I'm not sure how I want to handle the shield weapons.

I also started Robot Master skins, which me and a few others have been working on. So far there's all the MM1 robot masters to choose from but I plan to make ALL of the 8-bit robot masters, because I know everyone has different favourites.

I will be asking people for help with Megaman2 maps soon! :)
Tormentor667

Re: Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch - Progress!

Post by Tormentor667 »

Brilliant.... :shock:
CaptainToenail

Post by CaptainToenail »

I don't really like Megaman but this still looks very impressive, even despite the 'eyeball-scalding' textures. Nice work :)
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Cutmanmike wrote:Originally I was going to have the weapons behave exactly as their 2D counterparts but after the alpha test it became apparent that the gameplay would suck (just watch the video above). So most of the weapons have been tweaked from the alpha to be more reasonable in the 3d environment. A good example is the Air Shooter, which previously shot 3 projectiles each being varying speeds, now shoots projectiles in 3 directions at the same speed (making it a shotgun kinda weapon). Seems Zippy had the right idea to begin with after all
And don't you forget it! Image

Glad to hear on the progress. You did great work with GvH so the fact that you could churn out a fun and delightful Megaman themed deathmatch game given the time doesn't surprise me in the least.
Cutmanmike wrote:I will be asking people for help with Megaman2 maps soon! :)
Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

Because there's SO MANY weapons now (19) I've decided to do a training/practice map for checking them all out, as well as some extra stuff.

Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh yes :)

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”