ZDoom Wiki Thread

We sure do have a lot of rules and guidelines threads - find them all here, and please make sure you've read them! Also, community-wide announcements (that aren't major ZDoom News) go here as well.
Juan "JacKThERiPPeR

Re: ZDoom Wiki Thread

Post by Juan "JacKThERiPPeR »

HotWax wrote:2) Similar to the above question, how does the new format incorporate the endgame block? Is this just a block nested within the map block? For example, is this valid?

Code: Select all

MAP MAP01 "My Map"
{
     next endgame
     {
          pic = "MYPIC"
          music = "MYMUSIC", 1
     }
}
I guess that yes, I can't be totally sure, because I haven't used EndPics on the new MAPINFO format.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Project Dark Fox wrote:If I recall correctly, sucktime was how long it took before you got the title "sucks" on the intermission timer. The default in any Doom game is one hour (3600 seconds). Quite simply, it meant that you were taking too fucking long to complete a single map. :P
Ahh yes... I'd never seen "sucks" before randy mentioned it in some thread so I forgot about it. (I'm not in the habit of spending more than an hour in any single map :P) However, the property as used in zdoom.pk3 is only ever used as "sucktime = 1", which seems to indicate it's a boolean (0 = never show "sucks", 1 = show "sucks"?). But that doesn't really make sense. If it's just an on/off flag, why isn't it a flag instead of a property? And if it's not, what other values are supported aside from 0 and 1?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

HotWax wrote:How do you properly define an EndPic when using the next property?

next = endpic, "mylump"
HotWax wrote:the wiki does not specify on which map this flag is supposed to be present.
The map you are leaving should be the one that has it set.
HotWax wrote:spawnfilter
baby = 1
easy = 2
normal = 3
hard = 4
nightmare = 5
HotWax wrote:MustConfirm is a property that can (but doesn't have to) specify a custom text string. When not doing so, is it used as a flag?
Not giving it a value just means it uses the default message. There is no notion of a "flag" in mapinfo. It's up to the property what it wants to do with any parameters it might have.
HotWax wrote:What is the extended episode flag, and how does it differ from optional?
It means the episode won't show up unless there is a lump named "EXTENDED" present. This is used by Heretic's E4 and E5. (If I remember correctly, the non-Shadow of the Serpent Riders IWAD has some deathmatch maps in these slots that later got moved to E6, so using optional is inappropriate).
HotWax wrote:8) What is redirect and how does it work? (Used in Strife's MAP03)
If you are carrying the specified item, it sends you to a different map than the one originally requested.
HotWax wrote:9) noallies?
Friendlies on this map will attack you if you hurt them.
HotWax wrote:the property as used in zdoom.pk3 is only ever used as "sucktime = 1", which seems to indicate it's a boolean
The 1 means "one hour". If you wanted to, you could set it to 2 or 3 or even longer, but only in integral amounts.

More notes:
  • For all the compat_ options, a parameter is optional. 0 forces the option off and 1 forces it on. If you don't specify a parameter, it gets turned on.
  • nosoundclipping hasn't done anything in ages. It's only recognized so as not to break any maps with old mapinfos that might try to use it.
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Alrighty, that information should now be reflected in the article. Thank you for providing it. Again, if someone wants to skim through the updated article and make sure I'm not giving out (more) misinformation, that'd be great. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I mentioned in another thread that I'd been poking around in the newer source and come across the gaminfo stuff. Here is the default Doom one.

gameinfo
{
   titlepage = "TITLEPIC"
   creditpage = "CREDIT"
   titlemusic = "$MUSIC_DM2TTL"
   titletime = 11
   advisorytime = 0
   pagetime = 5
   chatsound = "misc/chat"
   finalemusic = "$MUSIC_READ_M"
   finaleflat = "SLIME16"
   finalepage = "CREDIT"
   infopage = "HELP", "CREDIT"
   quitsound = "menu/quit2"
   borderflat = "GRNROCK"
   border = DoomBorder
   telefogheight = 0
   defkickback = 100
   skyflatname = "F_SKY1"
   translator = "xlat/doom.txt"
   mapinfo = "mapinfo/doom2.txt"
   defaultbloodcolor = "68 00 00"
   defaultbloodparticlecolor = "ff 00 00"
   backpacktype = "Backpack"
   statusbar = "sbarinfo/doom.txt"
   intermissionmusic = "$MUSIC_DM2INT"
}
This stuff goes in MAPINFO

Here are my guesses as to what they do (I can't check them ATM).

titlepage: Fairly obvious. Sets the picture to be used for titlepic etc
creditpage: seems to show what is shown after attempting to play a built in demo lump. Multiple pages can be specified.eg creditpage = "CREDIT", "HELP2"
titlemusic: pretty obvious However, the default is "$MUSIC_DM2TTL", rather than a lump name so I'm not sure if lump names can be directly specified.
titletime: How long the titlepic is shown for?
advisorytime: Presumably how long the advisor graphic is shown for. I don't see anything to specify the advisor lump name so, presumably, only ADVISOR is acceptable.
pagetime: Don't know
chatsound: obvious
finalemusic: Not sure. Used when using an ending other than EngameC/3 Doom ending is used in Doom2??? Same query about the lump name as titlemusic
finaleflat: Not sure. I forget where SLIME16 is used in the game, and that's the default
finalepage: Again, I'm guessing that this is used when a non EngameC/3 Doom ending is used in Doom2
infopage: the pic shown when pressing F1? Maybe when picking "Read This". Only 1 graphic is shown normally in Doom2 but the default specifies 2 graphics so I'm not sure.
quitsound: obvious
borderflat: Obvious
border: Presumably sets of Border graphic names are specified here. What are the options?
telefogheight: Y offset of the teleport fog actor? Doom/Strife is 0 Heretic/Hexen is 32.
defkickback: default weapon knock back?
skyflatname: Obvious
translator: Language file to look up?
mapinfo: Specifies MAPINFO for the game. Can it be used to specify a MAPINFO ins something like a custom IWAD?
defaultbloodcolor: Obvious
defaultbloodparticlecolor: Obvious
backpacktype: Obvious, but I'm not sure what the options or the implications are
statusbar: Again, obvious but the same question as mapinfo
intermissionmusic: Again obvious but again the same question as titlemusic

There is also

drawreadthis: Presumably adds the "Read This" entry to the main menu.

There could be othe stuff that I missed but I think, like a Pokemon, I caught them all.

Some of the entries do not look as I would have expected when looking at Heretic and Hexen. (eg finalemusic = "hub") so my guesses could well be wrong as to how they need to be implemented.

I also wonder if there is some way of doing something such as setting the name that appears at the top of the startup window and the colours of that message? Until now, this was a popular thing for people making their own games to do, but it required source editing. I guess if that can be done, it would not be a MAPINFO thing. However, I'm not sure if a GAMEINFO lump as such has actually been implemented or if all the possible stuff has just been added to MAPINFO in a gameinfo section as above. (I kind of lost track of the discussion).

Anyway, my picking through it is certainly not good enough to be converted to a Wiki addition yet, but once this stuff is understood more clearly, it should, of course, be added to the MAPINFO page and anywhere else that is appropriate (eg if there is additional gameinfo stuff that has its own lump).
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'll point out that, although there are about 100 or so wads in the "created for ZDoom" section, there are still a lot more. However, after organising my Doom folder to try and find which ones I haven't done yet and do actually have I've noticed there are a fair few without text files or whatever, which makes knowing where to get some of them harder. Likewise, I've lost interest in doing it because a lot of authors won't even help themselves in that respect.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:However, the default is "$MUSIC_DM2TTL", rather than a lump name so I'm not sure if lump names can be directly specified.
Probably. The reason the default uses a string is so that dehacked patches can change them, e.g. like in Plutonia 2.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That makes sense.

An additional thing in the Wiki that needs to change IMO. I just noticed that the page that tells you how to compile Zdoom links to an old version of the subversion tools.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Windows

The file is quite out of date. I think the SVN tools that are linked to are version 1.4.x. Tortoise SVN is now up to version 1.6.0. The version linked to in the Wiki hasn't worked with Tortoise SVN since it bumped to ver 1.5.x so now it is 2 major bumps out.

The problem is, I don't know what to link to in the Wiki. The Wiki link is a direct hotlink download from tigris.org. However, the only link that I can find for the newer version requires registration with collab.net. So, it can't be linked to directly. If anyone knows of a direct link for a newer version of the SVN tools, then it would make sense to link to that instead. If that can't be done, perhaps the link should go to tigris.org or collab.net? Either way, I think that the current link is pretty useless.

Also, I guess references to FMOD (rather than FMODEX) and Zdoom 2.2.0 can be cleared out too.

Perhaps something should be mentioned about the additional files required for GZdoom? These are just three little header files: glext.h, glxext.h, and wglext.h, which can be downloaded from opengl.org. I'm not sure of the best place to put them once you have them, but I made a new directory (cunningly called GL), put them in there and then put the directory itself in the directX SDK Include directory. It's worked for me for over a year now, so it can't be too bad.

I'll hapily make some changes myself but I'll leave it for the moment in case anyone can provide a direct link to the required SVN files.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:Perhaps something should be mentioned about the additional files required for GZdoom? These are just three little header files: glext.h, glxext.h, and wglext.h, which can be downloaded from opengl.org. I'm not sure of the best place to put them once you have them, but I made a new directory (cunningly called GL), put them in there and then put the directory itself in the directX SDK Include directory. It's worked for me for over a year now, so it can't be too bad.
That's probably better than what I did, which was putting them in gzdoom/src/gl, forcing me to redownload them after I had to delete the whole directory once when SVN got corrupted for some mysterious reason. :)

About subversion, yeah, I'm not sure what to do for that. Having to register at that site is a hassle. Making people compiling their own is even worse. It's simpler to use an outdated version of TortoiseSVN. :P

Are you sure that glxext.h is needed?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Gez wrote:Are you sure that glxext.h is needed?
To be fair, no I'm not. When I first tried to compile GZdoom in Feb '08 I got a message that GL/glext.h was required. I searched for the file using Google and when I found the file on opengl.org, the other two files were mentioned alongside it as part of what looked like, effectively, a package called "Extension Header Files". Seeing as how they were all tiny little files (especially when compared to the huge SDK files I been messing with up to that point) I saw no reason not to grab all 3 of them and keep them together.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Actually, thinking about the advice to use an older version of Tortoise SVN, I can see 2 potential problems with that.

1: Tortoise SVN is an annoying nag when it knows that there is a newer version on line and it keeps reminding you to upgrade (may be configurable).

2: More seriously, I have a vague recollection of some time ago not being able to check out the SVN repository because the repository itself was using a newer SVN version than I was trying to connect with.
Gez

Post by Gez »

I'm currently using SVN 1.5.0. It wants me to update to 1.6.0. I expect that 1.6.0 will want Subversion 1.6.0 to work (it might be a wrong assumption, but...) and subversion 1.6.0 is only available through collab.net or if you compile it yourself. So I bear with the nag. (Since usually I update all my SVN directories at once and then just right-click "close all" on the status bar window, I don't even see the nagging screen unless I deliberately chose to.)
MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Gez wrote:I'm currently using SVN 1.5.0. It wants me to update to 1.6.0. I expect that 1.6.0 will want Subversion 1.6.0 to work (it might be a wrong assumption, but...) and subversion 1.6.0 is only available through collab.net or if you compile it yourself. So I bear with the nag. (Since usually I update all my SVN directories at once and then just right-click "close all" on the status bar window, I don't even see the nagging screen unless I deliberately chose to.)
With Tortiose SVN, there are a few things that don't work right if you have an older command-line SVN installed; when I upgraded to 1.6.0, I found Slik SVN - WFM.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:translator: Language file to look up?
This is the Doom-to-Hexen file, it translates vanilla DOOM specials to Hexen format. Heretic has a similar one for Heretic.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote: backpacktype: Obvious, but I'm not sure what the options or the implications are

The only implication is what item will go into the inventory when you cheat yourself a backpack. It's a typical case of preserving a damaged 'feature' that should never have been there in the first place. Ideally it should not matter what type you use in which case this option would be unneeded.

Return to “Rules and Forum Announcements”