[RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
paradox_tn

Re: [RELEASE] Cold As Hell: Special Edition (final version!)

Post by paradox_tn »

More success to JonnyFive! :cheers: (_)3
JonayaRiley
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by JonayaRiley »

Well, looks like it's update on newstuff.

And the trailer was very cool, I just watched it tonight. Nice job.
BouncyTEM
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Location: 2280 Lol Street: The Calamitous Carnival (formerly Senators Prison)

Post by BouncyTEM »

Glad you liked it. :)
paradox_tn

Post by paradox_tn »

Bouncy wrote:Glad you liked it. :)
Yes, I also saw the trailer, yesterday. Very cool man! 8-)
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

If anyone is feeling like their awesome computer needs MORE SNOW, here is a small patch I had lying around that you can run alongside CAH: SE to allow you to select up to 10 times the amount of snow as the default amount. Just hit the weather effect toggle key to cycle through. It defaults to 4 times the snow and moves up by increments of 2.

Be sure it's loading after cah_se.pk3, since it overrides the weatherFX code.

Bear in mind this is pretty minimally tested, although it should work all right.
Attachments
cah_rw.zip
(4.89 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Cool. I thought the snow was a little light in places. Let's hope my machine can handle it. :)
Nash

Post by Nash »

10x snow == <3

Although at times it does get really, REALLY choppy. I average at around 20 FPS at 10x snow. :S
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Enjay wrote:Let's hope my machine can handle it. :)
Heh, no it can't. Not really playably on x10 anyway. One to save for when I upgrade my computer. :)
Arch-Valentine

Post by Arch-Valentine »

So how does this actually work? I use the CAH.bat file to play the game, and this one comes with another pk3 and a bat file.
JonayaRiley

Post by JonayaRiley »

You can just put both files in the same directory as the rest of CAH: SE and run the included batch file if you'd like. If you're loading using the "-file" command, just make sure that cah_realweather.pk3 is loading after cah_se.pk3. I'm not sure if it's compatible with existing saves.
Arch-Valentine

Post by Arch-Valentine »

I seem to have run into a wall with the cah_realweather.bat. I start a new game, save it, exit, then play again and load up the save game. 0 ammo, no reload, and key binds are all gone including changing the weather. It works fine in 1 level, but if you exit the game or go onto the next level it's messed up.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Sorry about waking this thread up again, but I've only just got around to installing the final version, and I've come across something that's quite puzzling me.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm using what I understand to be the final release (cah_se.pk3 is dated 15Dec2008 12:08pm) and I'm using a new install of GZDoom 1.1.0.6, and doom2.wad.

I've bound the "m" key to automap, and when I look at cah_se.ini I see the line "m=togglemap" under the heading [Doom.Bindings].

Now, as expected, if I press "m" in the game, the automap appears on the screen. However, if I press "m" again, the map doesn't go away, and I get "marked spot 1" printed in the top left corner of the screen. Subsequent presses of "m" get "marked spot 2", "marked spot 3" and "marked spot 4", etc, while the automap stays on the screen.

Oddly, though, if I open up the console and type "togglemap" the automap toggles on and off just as you'd expect.

This puzzles me, because, as I understand it, pressing a bound key should produce exactly the same result as entering the command at the console.

Now, I don't know this is a problem with Cold As Hell, or with GZDoom, or if it's a PICNIC. (Problem in chair, not in computer). :)

Of course, it's entirely possible that I've missed something blindingly obvious and widely known. It wouldn't be the first time.

Never-the-less, I'd be grateful for a solution to my problem.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

This'd be a PICNIC (good phrase!) I'm afraid. Doom has special behaviour on the automap, which places markers with m, clears markers with c and can do a few other things with other buttons, and these functions override such things as having crouch bound to c or toggle automap bound to m. Rebinding your map toggle button is the solution.
David Ferstat

Post by David Ferstat »

Many thanks, Phobus. Automap now works as expected.

Curious how I couldn't find any reference to the automap's "special" behaviour in the Wiki. :)

Also curious how this behaviour appears to be protected from the, by now, customary keymapping edit capability. Anyone know why we can't edit the keymapping for these functions?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think it's just an "always been that way" kind of thing. Certain keys behave differently on the automap (+ - F and M spring to mind) and I don't *think* the ability to rebind the automap functions has been implemented or even asked for.

I remember the first time I found a map where I actually used the map marking capability was to flag all those teleports in the similar looking blood pool rooms in E3M7. :lol:

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”